dog fish

the runt

Hi all,just wondering with the huge amount of doggies this time of year,has anyone tried cooking and eating the devils.Can't find a whole lot on the net for preparation,thanks for any info.Iv'e eaten shark in a restraunt not bad.tastes like tuna i thought.

Yup, ate a a couple a few years ago, cut up some stakes and fried them in the frying pan, not much tatse but with some spices and stuff it wasnt too bad atall

Yup, ate a a couple a few years ago, cut up some stakes and fried them in the frying pan, not much tatse but with some spices and stuff it wasnt too bad atall

A buddy of mine eats the odd one everynow and then. He skins them as soon as possible and place the meat in a weak solution of water and vinegar for about 2 to 4 hours. I guess it is to nutralize the uric acid that can be present in the fish sometime...
He says that they are quite good. Never had them myself.

A buddy of mine eats the odd one everynow and then. He skins them as soon as possible and place the meat in a weak solution of water and vinegar for about 2 to 4 hours. I guess it is to nutralize the uric acid that can be present in the fish sometime...
He says that they are quite good. Never had them myself.

I made some fish 'n chips out of some about 10 years ago. Really good. I've got a copy of "The Dogfish Cookbook". Pretty good info.

I made some fish 'n chips out of some about 10 years ago. Really good. I've got a copy of "The Dogfish Cookbook". Pretty good info.

In Europe these are sold as "rock salmon" and are touted for fish and chips in the packages we all know of , spiced up they aren't too bad , however the big worry is if you are getting the big ones and the mercury content make you look like a thermometer !!

AL

In Europe these are sold as "rock salmon" and are touted for fish and chips in the packages we all know of , spiced up they aren't too bad , however the big worry is if you are getting the big ones and the mercury content make you look like a thermometer !!

AL

As I understand it, Dog fish are harvested here and sent to England to be used for fish and chips, the are sold as "Rock Salmon".

Davie

As I understand it, Dog fish are harvested here and sent to England to be used for fish and chips, the are sold as "Rock Salmon".

Davie

I have heard rumors that BC Ferries uses them for thier fish and so does Mcdonalds for filet o fish.

Back