DIY West Coast Haida Gwaii QCI

Dark

We are planning a 2 week trip to the west coast of Haida Gwaii. We have done the Rennell Sound thing but are thinking of heading to Hippa Island area or Englefield Bay area. Has anyone done this trip. We will launch from QC City and head west, destination unknown lol. Thinking Englefield would be the closest anchorage but it's all about the fishing with us. If you had a choice what would it be Hippa or Englefield? Would like to find an area that we can fish even if the winds are blowing hard,
our experience with Rennell Sound was if the wind was blowing you weren't going anywhere.

You can fish inside Hippa pass if it is rough outside but the fishing is nowhere near as good.....There are a number of places you could anchor in the pass and be within minutes of the reef off hippa and about 6 miles from freeman rock. What kind of boat are you running? If you decided on Hippa in august expect 50 chinook days with 15-25 average and tyically a few tyees mixed in. It is a quality numbers fishery but not so many 40+ fish. They like 7" tomic plugs fished from the surface to the bottom.....The bigger fish like structure ie offshore rock piles. The halibut fishing is off the chain, bring an anchor setup to make it easy. its a cool place which I really enjoyed fishing. My brother still works at the outpost and I can get up to date no BS reports fairly easily. As far as Englefield goes I have never fished here so I can't help you there. All I know is they did seem to catch more large fish than us from time to time.

Me and my buddy can fly to Haida Gwaii for cheap. We know how to fish so don't need the time and cost of a guide. Anybody know where we could rent a boat to fish out of anywhere on the island? Been there before and would love to get back there to fish!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're interested in hunting that is the place to do it, there are 27-34 deer per square kilometer and the bag limit is 15!

Mikep, we are running a 26ft Kingfisher. We were planning to go at the end of June and maybe Bamfield in Aug.
How is the fishing in June? Last time we were there we went in Sept, spent a few days at Rennell had wind problems so packed up and went to Sandspit drove the 18ft boat out Skidegate Channel dally and did pretty good.
Also fished Masset.
We pack a freezer and a generator now so we are good for extended stays on the hook.

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 586
Nice to here you have a big trip planed.Wish you good harvest.Area you mentioned are good .Don't forget to fish skidgate in front of lodge before tow, if time is right.

Dark, I ran the floating Lodge at Hippa for a number of years and as it has already been said the fishing can be off the charts. The really big ones tend to be there the second week of June and the middle of Aug. I hope you pack lots of fuel as I am positive you won't buy any out there.

Dark, I ran the floating Lodge at Hippa for a number of years and as it has already been said the fishing can be off the charts. The really big ones tend to be there the second week of June and the middle of Aug. I hope you pack lots of fuel as I am positive you won't buy any out there.

Thanks Capt. from what I have been researching its about 90/100 km from QC City should be a 1/4 tank if we take it easy. We can always run the 9.9 for a ways to save some fuel, it pushes us at about 5 knots. We hope to be on the ferry June 26 if work don't get in the way. With us its all about fighting BIG fish not limits.
I just recieved my charts for both Englefield and Hippa, Englefield seems to have some nice structure out on the Danham Shoals and looks to be about 20 km closer. Do you know if the lodge is still operating out of Englefield ?
We could trailer to Rennell and save 50km. Haven't been down that road for a few years.

Thanks Capt. from what I have been researching its about 90/100 km from QC City should be a 1/4 tank if we take it easy. We can always run the 9.9 for a ways to save some fuel, it pushes us at about 5 knots. We hope to be on the ferry June 26 if work don't get in the way. With us its all about fighting BIG fish not limits.
I just recieved my charts for both Englefield and Hippa, Englefield seems to have some nice structure out on the Danham Shoals and looks to be about 20 km closer. Do you know if the lodge is still operating out of Englefield ?
We could trailer to Rennell and save 50km. Haven't been down that road for a few years.

just curious what it costs to ferry your boat to the charlottes? I've thought of doing it myself but was almost thinking of running the boat across from rupert. conditions would have to be perfect though.... would be nice if they had the same type of deal they had for certain days to the (vanc) island this summer....

Fished both places twice and weather is scary @ both but seemingly worse @ Hippa (maybe because it comes up faster?) even though you can hide behind the island if you're caught with your pants down.

Anyway I vote for Englefield always liked it since there was more variety in terms of places to fish.

As to Englefield anchorages Douglas Inlet is right there and next door Mitchell Inlet (Thetis Anchorage) is very snug.

I see from the reports from the lodge there the guides have invented all these cutesy names for fishing spots I guess they can't read a chart.

All around Willie Island-see where the tide has pushed the bait.

Back side of Lihou Island is a place to check if it's too rough out front, Bone Point work it hard-seen a 60# Spring taken there by a rookie.

Denham Shoals can be a wonderland of opportunity-one day when I'm bored I'll post the same old ho-hum story of the Giant Halibut I lost there once (!)-but lots of Springs feed along the outside edge but always check out Denham Point; Cape Henry is worth a look if you're restless I know lodge guides like to head down there now.

With us its all about fighting BIG fish not limits.

Hey Dark,
If you're after big fish and don't care about numbers, I would suggest heading to Masset and fishing out of Naden Harbour for a few days. Definitely not the same kind of adventure as heading to the west coast, but if you want some size thats the place to do it. A heck of a lot more boats are going to be there, but scrape the kelp with some naked cut plugs and you'll be rewarded with a slug!
But.....you have to deal with all the boats from QCL which can be a serious gong show. That being said, no one is ever there early morning, so you would always be able to get the first light bite with no one else around!
less weather concern too.

Just so everyone knows the road to the protected launch in clapp basin inside rennell sound has been shut down for good. Campground will remain open to water access users only. I'm heading back there at the beginning of July. If anyone is heading that way send me a pm and we can share some info.

Just so everyone knows the road to the protected launch in clapp basin inside rennell sound has been shut down for good. Campground will remain open to water access users only. I'm heading back there at the beginning of July. If anyone is heading that way send me a pm and we can share some info.

Empty your in box

just curious what it costs to ferry your boat to the charlottes? I've thought of doing it myself but was almost thinking of running the boat across from rupert. conditions would have to be perfect though.... would be nice if they had the same type of deal they had for certain days to the (vanc) island this summer....

Bigdog, I have been seriously thinking the same it's about a 60 mile run from land to land if you stage at Banks Island but you need to go early to beat the wind so you won't be able to travel fast. Then there is the problem of getting home if I was retired I would run it no problem but I have a schedule to keep and can't wait around for a weather window.
Cost about 1800.00 for the ferry.

Hey Dark,
If you're after big fish and don't care about numbers, I would suggest heading to Masset and fishing out of Naden Harbour for a few days. Definitely not the same kind of adventure as heading to the west coast, but if you want some size thats the place to do it. A heck of a lot more boats are going to be there, but scrape the kelp with some naked cut plugs and you'll be rewarded with a slug!
But.....you have to deal with all the boats from QCL which can be a serious gong show. That being said, no one is ever there early morning, so you would always be able to get the first light bite with no one else around!
less weather concern too.

Thanks Stoisy we have done The Naden Harbour thing. The Admiral hates combat fishing as she puts it, so now we try to get away from the crowds.

Thanks Capt and Dogbreath really appreciate the info. I am leaning to Englefield only because of the distance the Admiral is leaning towards Hippa. For the last two years we have done the mouth of the Douglas Channell Usually fuel up at Hartley Bay and then press on to banks island area.

Out of curiosity, how hard is it to run the narrows? It has been suggested to me to run the boat around the outside and drive the truck and trailer down the hill into rennell. I have done it While on a charter years ago but don't remember much. Can it be done at low tides in a 23ft?

Last time we were there 2005 we ran the narrows daily in a 18 ft without a chart plotter,only a handheld gps. low tide is a no mainly because of the kelp, a few spots are tricky but the bottom is mostly sand. I did run it couple of times at low tide we were chopping kelp like a food processor, but we had the best fishing spots to ourselves for a couple of hours. Lots of other boats to follow through the channel pay attention to your chartplotter and go slow in the tight spots.

If you could launch at rennell sound and head out to hippa that would be ideal. There are a number of spots you could anchor inside the pass with short runs to the fishing grounds. As others have said June is one of the best times to catch a HOG, either off the hippa light or at a number of locations inside the Pass itself. As for boat traffic it is pretty minimal with 22 or so boats from WCR, 6-8 from the tugboat and 6 from the outpost. As much of the fishery is on offshore structure there is plenty of room to get on the fish without traffic. If you are looking for a big fish inside the pass bait is hard to beat but offshore big plugs are my go to. There can be an endless supply of 18 pounders in june up there and the big lures help cut back on these also switch the standard tomic hook out for one a couple sizes smaller as you will be releasing a lot of fish.

Back