DFO Airforce

I have been buzzed by their jet while fishing Swiftshire. It came in at about 100 feet, had a good look and came back around for a second. I was sure an inflatable would be arriving soon, but it never did. With the dash 8 I hope they have pretzels.

I have been buzzed by their jet while fishing Swiftshire. It came in at about 100 feet, had a good look and came back around for a second. I was sure an inflatable would be arriving soon, but it never did. With the dash 8 I hope they have pretzels.
I don't think they have or have had jets...

I don't think they have or have had jets...
I called it a jet. I don't know what it is actually, Im not an expert on planes. Im pretty sure it was this one. Whatever it is it's fast1613798556300.png

That blue plane or one of them, flies around oak bay too. I was buzzed by it at the cattle point boat launch once. There were no boats at the launch so don’t know what they were looking for. Was pretty cool to hear and see though.

I called it a jet. I don't know what it is actually, Im not an expert on planes. Im pretty sure it was this one. Whatever it is it's fastView attachment 62013
King Air, absolutely loaded with high tech electronics. That thing can spot you, ID your Reg # and / or name, and pinpoint your exact location long before you even realize it’s coming. Pretty neat setup.

Last edited:
He green one is a King Air 200, one of their pilots used to fly Twin Otter for Ken Borek and it was incredible what he could do with that Otter when he flew into our Lodge at Hippa

Viewed DFO numerous times flying over the Bajo RCA. Hot spot for violators in my opinion.
Particularly in foggy conditions.

Nice to see the new plane has been made official
I mentioned this on the forum back in November, funded from DND/Navy's budget
The crews flys almost daily 52wks a yr. outfitted
with the most high tech electronic surveillance equipment available.
all to go after "colonial" grandpa and his grandkids, and look the other way for others..
True story

I talked to our local creel survey guy one time. He told me sometimes he had to fly in that plane and count boats. He said, and I quote, “it’s absolutely terrifying”. Lol

And check out the advanced optical surveillance pod - they can read your fishing license from 10 miles out. Smile

I talked to our local creel survey guy one time. He told me sometimes he had to fly in that plane and count boats. He said, and I quote, “it’s absolutely terrifying”. Lol
The creel counter you are referring to was Hugo and I’m sorry to say he past away two summers ago. Hugo all way let me know about his fly overs and what they saw. He was a really nice guy and I always provided him the information requested.

I've seen that plane numerus time a year in JDF. It usually flies down the US board line and comes back along the Canadian shore line to get a good counts of boats.

I thing the fly overs are one of the only ways DFO can estimate the fish catch and check on illegal fishing.

When every you see the DFO plane out you will see the creel counters checking fish catch ratios at the marinas VS the plane data count on boats fishing. If the plane counts 100 boats fishing and the creel counters get info from 25 boats and each boat has an average of two fish (lb by size of fish checked) caught . DFO assumes all 100 boats caught 2 fish (2 X 15lb =30lb) and a total of 200 fish (6,000lb) were caught that day. That is how they calculate the total fish take.

Going back a few years, I was in a meeting with a few guides, SFAB and DFO and the DFO fly over showed over 300 boats halibut fishing. Wolf, Foghorn and I tried to explain to the DFO rep that there are never even 200 boats halibut fishing in 19/20 in one day. Not even when the Island Outfitter derby was on and numbers by the numbers of derby tickets sold. The worst thing is if the creel counters check 25 boats and the average catch in each boat is two halibut (2 X 25lb = 50lb), DFO assumes the take is 600 halibut (30,000lb) caught that day. I don't think we got it into the DFO scientist head there are not 300 boats fishing and not every boat catches fish.

We all know, some days boats get skunked and some of those 300 boats the DFO rep said they reports on where pleasure craft and not fishing. Including those pleasure craft boats increase the fish taken numbers and effects our fish total lb numbers.

I called it a jet. I don't know what it is actually, Im not an expert on planes. Im pretty sure it was this one. Whatever it is it's fastView attachment 62013
Pretty sure that’s a Beechcraft Kingair 200, very nice plains and yes quick.

My bro’s in-law owns I think 4 Kingairs currently. ( well he’s retired my nephews run the company now ) I have flown in them quite a bit, very sturdy built plains.

Guide logbooks were supposed to be used as well as a comparison from halibut effort estimates. Without them your right DFO just uses flyover and creel. That was what I was told anyways.

Back