De-barbing

Time

Either I'm getting weak, need bigger pliers, or the hooks are stronger, but it's getting to be a pain to de-barb hooks in the larger sizes.
Retying a lot of old gear with new leaders and hooks. I have about 100+ to do.

It occured to me I could use a Dremel for a quick grind.
Would this affect the hook? Lose it's temper or whatever?

That'd work..just don't go too crazy.. you can stil have a bump there though..just so that there is no open "barb" to catch anything.

Thanks F M

I thought you could leave the bump there, but getting it down "tight enough" seems to be a problem. I recall they (the CO's) used to use a piece off a nylon stocking or panty hose to drag over the barb area to see if the hooks were truly barbless. Are they still that particular?

I have seen them use a piece of wool.If the hook comes out with wool on it it needs to be pinched more.

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Try using vice grips but not a cheap pair made in China. They make it easier on us old fisherman. Is it still true you can use barbless treble hooks?

Joey B.

Some CO's are still that particular. A friend of mine was checked this year with a piece of fabric, and the hook didn't pass the no barb test. The CO gave him a warning, but told him to next time use a dremmel tool to get rid of the barb.

FishWish

Thanks Dog.

If I have 3 hooks in a fish does the barb vs barbless make much differance?

Joey B.

I got out the pump pliers and they seem to work.
Tried the dremel but you have to be careful not to dig into the shank of the hook.

Some of the gear I am retying and de-barbing is 15-25 years old. Some Tom Macks, plugs, and various herring holders, hoochies, etc. Most still new, just unused, so replacing the leaders.

The barbs on the old hooks seem to be a lot bigger and tougher than they are on some newer stuff, like the hooks on Coyote spoons.

In case you're wondering, why all the old gear? - I packed in the fishing back in the 80's while living in North Van and got fed up with the lack of fish, crowds, and general hassle. Put it off until I retired, now I'm here and ready!!

Just having to relearn a bunch of stuff and catch up on the new styles.

Thanks to all for the help, in your postings and in replying to the queries I have posted since joining.

I have used a dremel for a few years now. The trick is to take your time and to not heat up the hook and change the temper in the steel. so I have been told by a Machinist.

I wonder if you would have less of a chance changing the temper of the metal if you used the dremmel at slower speeds or lubed as you ground?

Joey B.

Back