crabing king crab

R

redfox13

i would like to know everything about catching king crab i reasently went down the douglas channel and stayrd in a cabin for 3 days trying to catch some and i did suceed my friend and i cought 12 but let 4 go nowing are limit was 4 each in posesion the thing was once we found the hole it was 2 hours before high tide and we got some we tride the next mornig 2 hours before low tide and there was nothing there then we whent back 2 hours before high tide again and cought two more is this normal do thay stay in the same place or move in and out with the tide and if i go back in a week will there be more or will thay have left if i moved my hoops 200 ft in any direction id get nothing please give me as much info as posable thanks

Hey redfox, how big were the king crab you caught? Big ones are a ***** to catch and unpredictable at the best of the time, the immature ones ball up for protection and can be easy to catch but the big ones,4 feet across, usually stay deep. They do migrate and sometimes you get lucky and hit a batch like you probably did but I have only hit them like that a few time in 20 years.

Great report Redfox I didnt know you could even find them up there.Do you have a certain kind of trap for them? Victoria Boater Kitimat is the head of the Douglas Channel .And give me break Concerned Angler is this a fishing site or english class.LOL

i don't now how to put a pic up,and the douglas channel is just south of prince rupert in kitimat. to holdemm we got two 4 footers and 12 2.5 footers. we are heading back down on sunday so i will find out alot more info then.

beak yes we use hoops it is just a four foot flat circlethat lies on the bottom with bait in the middle when you pull it up the crab can't walk off. you pull the hoop trap about every 25 to 35 minutes

redfox do you own a c-dory? and is so good to see you again.

Redfox just wondering how far down the channel your running for them.Also what depth of water did u find them in.

in the sue channel at about 120 to 130 feet i also herd you can get them in globial bay and eagle bay im in an open 14 aluminum so i can't go to far are you from kitimat and if so how big a boat you got and how often you head down

Great stories Redfox.
Will look forward to hearing your continuing adventures.
One question,
What the hell do you do with crab of that size in a 14 foot open aluminum boat with two people and all their gear already in the boat?
Id be terrified for my fingers and other dangly parts of my anatomy with those buggers crawling around.

sorry to everone i never got pics of them and if i did i woulden't now how to put them up well i just cofirmd that im heding down again on sunday over night so ill report back and make sure i take pics and try to figure out how to put them up here

Anyone ever catch a Puget Sound King Crab before? Don't know if they have another name, but I've never seen one.

What is the farthest South you could expect to see a King Crab? Cape Caution?

Anyone ever catch a Puget Sound King Crab before? Don't know if they have another name, but I've never seen one.

What is the farthest South you could expect to see a King Crab? Cape Caution?

I think Puget's are the same thing as our local box crabs, they are too big to enter a crab trap, but a diver friend of mine found some near Pedder Bay. You need a hammer to open 'em up, they are not big and spydery like an Alaskan, they are about the size of a basketball and are a rocky lumpy thing. Taste good, but they sure make you work for it!

I think Puget's are the same thing as our local box crabs, they are too big to enter a crab trap, but a diver friend of mine found some near Pedder Bay. You need a hammer to open 'em up, they are not big and spydery like an Alaskan, they are about the size of a basketball and are a rocky lumpy thing. Taste good, but they sure make you work for it!

Back