Cordless Impact Gun Brand/Size

Gr8 thread! Only need one occasionally but came across this at Home Hardware today 60% off 325$ for 130$ 1/4" chuck but with an adapter will suit my needs, 2 batteries and a charger. Not sure if this is a local deal or regional. Regardscatimpact2.jpg

Anyone try the dewalt Precision Wrench Bluetooth settings? Just a gimmick?
Would be great for repetitive work like removing and torquing lug nuts at say a tire shop. Use the app to set torque to 100 ft lb, leave the lug nut impact socket on it and just rattle away.

For homeowner use, you want versatile not repetitive. Wouldn't see much point in it then.

One other impact gun story:

We were de-tensioning some shoring rods at work, and it's just brutal. The shoring rods are 1.5" in diameter and use a coarse threaded nut which gets rusted, and covered in concrete. The nuts are installed to 40kips lockoff load, and a rough calculation puts this at 1000ft/lbs (and significantly more to break it loose). My site super kept snapping 5ft breaker bars trying to get the nuts off. Its a crap job - you are stuck in a 2ft wide overdig space between the foundation and the shoring face, trying to get these nuts loose.

Anyway, a Hilti high impact 3/4 was the tool for the job. The 1" milwaukee was our backup, but was too big and wouldn't fit between the foundation and the shoring face.

I think I’m going to try the Hilti 1/2” next. I have been getting pretty frustrated with the battery retention on my Milwaukee m18 guns.
They are great tools, don’t get me wrong, but perhaps I’m too hard them lol.

I think I’m going to try the Hilti 1/2” next. I have been getting pretty frustrated with the battery retention on my Milwaukee m18 guns.
They are great tools, don’t get me wrong, but perhaps I’m too hard them lol.
Our site guys like Hilti because the rep is close and the service is great - and we are really hard on our tools. We are a forming company, so naturally we are buying a lot from Hilti anyway. For personal tools, I see a gradual transition from Makita to Milwaukee or Dewalt. Depends on the trade.

Would be great for repetitive work like removing and torquing lug nuts at say a tire shop. Use the app to set torque to 100 ft lb, leave the lug nut impact socket on it and just rattle away.

For homeowner use, you want versatile not repetitive. Wouldn't see much point in it then.
I wish tire shops used something like this. I re-check the torque on my lugs after getting tires replaced (based on experience) - They are always way too tight. Aluminum wheels are typically around 85ft/lbs, and sometimes I'm practically standing on the breaker bar to get the lugs loose.

I've never seen a tire shop use a torque wrench - they just blast away.

I started with dewalt grease gun was awesome so I bought a drill it failed bought an impact 1/2 inch it failed now I only use Milwaukee
Made in America quality and good warranty
Dewalt is made in china and elsewhere to keep cost down I find quality suffers too

I wish tire shops used something like this. I re-check the torque on my lugs after getting tires replaced (based on experience) - They are always way too tight. Aluminum wheels are typically around 85ft/lbs, and sometimes I'm practically standing on the breaker bar to get the lugs loose.

I've never seen a tire shop use a torque wrench - they just blast away.
My neighbour is a bus mechanic at Coast Mtn bus co, says they check lug nut torque on ALL in-service buses EVERY day (wow!). They use Milwaukee calibrated impact guns for this.

I started with dewalt grease gun was awesome so I bought a drill it failed bought an impact 1/2 inch it failed now I only use Milwaukee
Made in America quality and good warranty
Dewalt is made in china and elsewhere to keep cost down I find quality suffers too
Dewalt are made in Mexico, and yes they don’t hold up as good as Milwaukee

Dewalt are made in Mexico, and yes they don’t hold up as good as Milwaukee
While the company is headquartered in the United States, Dewalt tools are manufactured in several countries worldwide. The company has factories in Mexico, Brazil, the United Kingdom, and China. This distributed manufacturing model allows Dewalt to keep production costs down

China will make any quality you want. Cheap off label made-to-a-price stuff is cheap and little else. But if you own the plant and do your own engineering and QA, you can get excellent quality and reliability from Chinese products. Or Mexico/Thailand/Malaysia etc.

China will make any quality you want. Cheap off label made-to-a-price stuff is cheap and little else. But if you own the plant and do your own engineering and QA, you can get excellent quality and reliability from Chinese products. Or Mexico/Thailand/Malaysia etc.
True
But I believe in supporting the continent I live in and haven’t had a Milwaukee fail yet couple impacts a vacuum the large size, air pump the big one couple drills and grinders

While the company is headquartered in the United States, Dewalt tools are manufactured in several countries worldwide. The company has factories in Mexico, Brazil, the United Kingdom, and China. This distributed manufacturing model allows Dewalt to keep production costs down
The ones I own, several are all made in mexico

Pulled the trigger on a DEWALT mid torque with two 5amp batteries. DCF891P2. Some good videos on this YouTube channel. This one should do F350 lug nuts when I get a flat and 24 trailer nuts this weekend, combine with caliper nuts. Part of my decision is I have the DEWALT wet/dry vac and want to add a little compressor. Basically a road tripping set of tools, and didn’t want to over rely on 12 year old Makita batteries with a new impact. Thanks for all of your help.

Nice. I've been thinking about the compressor for a while. Like you, I've got a portable Vac and mid-torque impact and share batteries.

I keep one of those crappy 12v plug-in tire compressors in the truck (maybe $20 from CT, and sound like a jackhammer). Not great, but they get the job done in a pinch. At home I've got a nice quiet little 2hp Makita.

Can't quite justify the M18 compressor....yet.

Back