Cordless Impact Gun Brand/Size

kaelc

My buddy was helping me with my trailer and has a wicked Milkwakee impact gun. I just spent an hour going down a rabbit hole trying to figure out an impact gun to use on my truck and boat trailer. What torque level should I get at a minimum, and what amp-hour batteries should I have for a weekend warrior? I'll take it on road trips too.

Background I don't want to switch to a new brand, but makita's are getting a little old 2012 and I have my first Dewalt battery and charger.

My Makita 18V cordless lithium tools have a couple of 3-ah batteries and one Dewalt 20v 1.5-ah battery for a cordless vacuum, and chargers are included with them.

Looking at a Makita below for $400 but would have to run it on my 12 year old batteries that seem fine but are getting old. Should I just stick with Makita and buy an impact like this one from Homedepot? KMS is just beside me in Saanich as well. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Makita DTW1002 combines 740 ft. lbs fastening torque and 1,180 ft. lbs nut-busting torque with extended run time and speed control for unmatched fastening performance. It features an efficient brushless motor for longer run time, increased power and speed, and longer tool life. The 3 speed power selection switch gives users more precise fastening control. It is ideal for a range of users, from iron and steel workers to pipe fitters, railroad and automotive mechanics, forming carpenters, and more.

1. Power Brushless Motor delivers up to 740 ft. lbs (1,000 Nm) of fastening and up to 1,180 ft. Lbs (1,600 Nm) of nut-busting torque.
  2. Precision 3 Forward and 3 Reverse Speed/Torque selection switch (0-900/0-1,000/0-1,800 RPM and 0-1,800/0-2,000/0-2,200 IPM) with Variable Speed Trigger. Electric Brake prevents over-tightening of fasteners.
  3. Durability Backed by a 3-Year Limited Warranty. Rubber joint construction suppresses the transmission of vibration to the battery.
  4. Efficiency The Brushless Motor offers high power to weight/size ratio, less heat buildup, smoother operation, and up to 50% longer run time per charge.
  5. LXT Advantage The Makita 18V LXT Lithium-Ion System is compatible with 320+ products. Makita LXT batteries have the fastest charge time in class.
  6. Ergonomic Soft rubber grip design for vibration absorption and comfortable operation. Twin LED job lights with pre-glow and afterglow features illuminates the work area.
  7. What's Included? Tool ONLY. Battery and Charger sold separately.

i like my bosch system. its brushless. maybe not the most powerful but it works every time and has no issues.
bosch has a bigger one but i prefer the more compact tool.
i normally use this kit which is handier than just the impact tool.

Last edited:
If you watch the YouTube channel “project farm”.. Milwaukee typically dominates the competition. They seem to be the market leaders with innovation and product development. If you were just starting back out and building a new set, just go with Milwaukee, you said it in your first sentence “wicked Milwaukee impact”. Every power tool I own is Milwaukee and they’re all great. Best guy to ask would probably be @Rain City as he has 12% of the North American cordless tool market share. Real world experience is usually different than some ham and egger like me

Milwaukee would be my vote. I run the m18 xc 8.0 in a bunch of tools.

KMS always have good deals on... I got some batteries for free last time I bought some new garden tools...

Last edited:
Milwaukee would be my vote. I run the m18 xc 8.0 in a bunch of tools.

KMS always have good deals on... I got some batteries for free last time I bought some new garden tools...
I will throw the kids on the ebike with an old battery and ride over to KMS for a drool, as soon as I google it they were serving up Milwakee ads to me online.
If you watch the YouTube channel “project farm”.. Milwaukee typically dominates the competition. They seem to be the market leaders with innovation and product development. If you were just starting back out and building a new set, just go with Milwaukee, you said it in your first sentence “wicked Milwaukee impact”. Every power tool I own is Milwaukee and they’re all great. Best guy to ask would probably be @Rain City as he has 12% of the North American cordless tool market share. Real world experience is usually different than some ham and egger like me
Thanks you two.

i like my bosch system. its brushless. maybe not the most powerful but it works every time and has no issues.
bosch has a bigger one but i prefer the more compact tool.
i normally use this kit which is handier than just the impact tool.
That's pretty good value with the batteries! Thanks boss.

I have both Makita and Milwaukee, all new stuff I'm buying is Milwaukee, about 80% of our (18) tech's use Milwaukee Cordless Tools.
I have a few smaller and lighter 2 Amphr batteries for when working overhead but usually use 5amphr for my Milwaukee drill and 1/4" impact and 6 Amphr batteries for SDS hammer drill, Packout Vacuum and bigger tools like an 1/2" impact and tire inflator.

Took me a few years to convert to Milwaukee as I own so much Makita stuff, but the Milwaukee tools have impressed me so far.

You won't regret changing to RED.

David.

Last edited:
Homeowner Hack - Ryobi
Finish Carpentry - Dewalt or Festool (if money is no issue)
Framing/Demo - Makita 40v
Plumber/Mechanic/Electrician - Milwaukee
Landscaping - Stihl or Makita 40v

Don't ever buy Hilti or Bosch

This is just my experience, take it or leave it. I'm no expert on the subject.

My business tool inventory was Makita for 15 years. When their LXT lithium ion batteries came out, they were head and shoulders above the competition. Next to follow was Milwaukee, and they've been innovative with the actual tools. Some interesting stuff in their catalogue, but it's largely directed at the trades.

Almost two years ago I decided we just had to have a cordless framing gun for the reno crew. Makita appear to be sticking with gas cartridge guns, and we don't like those. Milwaukee or Dewalt were the choices. Realizing I would need to buy a basic set of tools to make the battery purchase easier, I priced out both red and yellow tools and handled them. I liked the feel of the dewalt saws better, and they were at a lower price point too.

We've been very happy with the yellow tools, but I've no doubt that red would serve us well also. Zillions of tradespeople use them.

Some cautions about going the Makita route: tool durability and use category. They don't publicize it, but Makita have different grades of tools that are hard to spot at a casual glance. Cordless drill is with plastic chuck vs metal chuck. 2 or 3 rpm ranges. Brushless or conventional (and a price premium for brushless). We beat the tar out of Makita cordless impacts, but the drills won't take the same beating. And neither will their cordless circular saws, the blade guard handles eventually crack amd break off.

I know trades use is much different from homeowner use, but for durability I'd choose either Milwaukee or Dewalt.

My business tool inventory was Makita for 15 years. When their LXT lithium ion batteries came out, they were head and shoulders above the competition. Next to follow was Milwaukee, and they've been innovative with the actual tools. Some interesting stuff in their catalogue, but it's largely directed at the trades.

Almost two years ago I decided we just had to have a cordless framing gun for the reno crew. Makita appear to be sticking with gas cartridge guns, and we don't like those. Milwaukee or Dewalt were the choices. Realizing I would need to buy a basic set of tools to make the battery purchase easier, I priced out both red and yellow tools and handled them. I liked the feel of the dewalt saws better, and they were at a lower price point too.

We've been very happy with the yellow tools, but I've no doubt that red would serve us well also. Zillions of tradespeople use them.

Some cautions about going the Makita route: tool durability and use category. They don't publicize it, but Makita have different grades of tools that are hard to spot at a casual glance. Cordless drill is with plastic chuck vs metal chuck. 2 or 3 rpm ranges. Brushless or conventional (and a price premium for brushless). We beat the tar out of Makita cordless impacts, but the drills won't take the same beating. And neither will their cordless circular saws, the blade guard handles eventually crack amd break off.

I know trades use is much different from homeowner use, but for durability I'd choose either Milwaukee or Dewalt.
Makita 18v vs 40v lines are completely different beasts. 40v is far more robust. But they're expensive and have limited tool options so far. The 40v skil saws are by far the best ones out there.

ive got the gen 3 high torque milwaukee with 5ah and 9ah batteries, awesome impact that will rattle 1 1/2 bolts non stop. you need atleast 5ah batteries for them. if you get an older milwaukee high torque make sure its H96A and and not the H96B model. its in the serial number.
i like their grease guns and drills/impacts. have the small toolbox shaped shop vac on the boat and am eyeing the radio for the dinghy
torque test channel on youtube does all sorts of testing on cordless tools if you go their home page.

Ok this is not fair, I am a pro, meaning me and my crew runs these hard weeks on end, makita is fine for for home use or light pro use,( battery suck from makita) the old dinosaur electric makita are beast, but batery are way behind.Milwaukee is the most powerhouse and tough, Hilty second and dewalt third, again we use these hard every day, 1/2” mid tork Milwaukee with at least an 8 amp battery will do the job you need, get a 5amp as backup and a fast charger, then built your arsenal from there.you get what you pay for when tools are involve, need to had this, the fuel line is what I am talking about, and flex volt for dewalt, the regular brushless are so so

Last edited:
I've got the new Milwaukee 3/8" drive impact 5 Amp battery 625 lbs feet of torque seems to be able to do all the jobs I've asked of it and it's way lighter then the 1/2" drive
Yes, but if you need to crack a 1”1/4 rusted nut it won’t, again depending what your expectations are, the high tork 1/2” Milwaukee are on the heavy side agreed

ya, the 250 lb torque milwaukee cant keep the bolts on an excavator bucket tight, i dont know if any of you ever watch Zach on youtube but the torture he put his H96A through, i absolutely got a kick out of

I've got a Milwaukee 3/8 mid torque impact. I wanted the 3/8 because it just works with a much wider range of typical sockets that I commonly use even though at first glance you would be skeptical about putting 600ft/lbs through a 3/8 anvil. Its been amazing - makes short work of wheel nuts, rusty suspension nuts, etc. I keep a 1/2" impact rated adapter, and even used it to remove a 35mm wheel bearing nut.

I use a 6amp milwaukee high output battery with no issue at all. I tried to use one of my small 2amp batteries, and it wouldn't make full power. Just make sure you use impact rated sockets.

One note though. The impact gun has been great, but the tool I most highly recommend is the Milwaukee 'Surge' impact driver. It works using hydraulics, and is totally quiet. Great tool for a pro that is concerned about their ears, great tool for a weekend warrior that wants to do some late night work in the garage and not wake up the neighbours.

Last edited:
One other impact gun story:

We were de-tensioning some shoring rods at work, and it's just brutal. The shoring rods are 1.5" in diameter and use a coarse threaded nut which gets rusted, and covered in concrete. The nuts are installed to 40kips lockoff load, and a rough calculation puts this at 1000ft/lbs (and significantly more to break it loose). My site super kept snapping 5ft breaker bars trying to get the nuts off. Its a crap job - you are stuck in a 2ft wide overdig space between the foundation and the shoring face, trying to get these nuts loose.

Anyway, a Hilti high impact 3/4 was the tool for the job. The 1" milwaukee was our backup, but was too big and wouldn't fit between the foundation and the shoring face.

Back