Compression test

sir-vivor

He guys today I started my 1996 200hp Ocean Pro on the drivewayv with the muffs on and as usual fired right up and ran great (wish it would be so easy on the water lol, but it always starts).
Took the 6 plugs plugs out , hooked the compression tester in the first hole and got a reading, put it on the second hole and the turned the key and 3 turns and starter shut down and wouldnt turn, dead silence . So put all the plugs back in and fired it up right away no problem and ran great WTF ???
Took all plugs out and hooked compression tester into plug hole and turned the key and be damned if the starter didnt shut down again.
Being confused and frustrated as hell I put all 6 plugs back in, turned key and she fired right up and ran perfect
What the heck ??

Last edited:
very strange, were you grounding the coil leads? it is best to just use a remote starter switch and not the ignition switch. remember to open the throttles

i'm no expert but why do you take all the plugs out at once? i've always done one at a time, is that wrong? perhaps it will work if you try that?

edit to say that some youtube and internet research certainly indicates removing all plugs at once is most common. guess i've been doing it wrong all along....

Last edited:
i'm no expert but why do you take all the plugs out at once? i've always done one at a time, is that wrong? perhaps it will work if you try that?

edit to say that some youtube and internet research certainly indicates removing all plugs at once is most common. guess i've been doing it wrong all along....
ya youtube pros say take all out, yet on the Evenrude site one guy responded saying put at least 3 pugs back in as the starter will kick out because rpms to high. another guy says to take alll 6 out and open wide the throttle plates is the correct way.

When u take plugs out take the kill switch lanyard off so ignition isn’t sending power to plug wires. Dunno if this is your problem but that is how I check compression and ensure no power is being grounded anywhere.

When u take plugs out take the kill switch lanyard off so ignition isn’t sending power to plug wires. Dunno if this is your problem but that is how I check compression and ensure no power is being grounded anywhere.
Just about 100% fishalot, thanks !
Agreed and open throttle wide open.
I did not do but I will .

Last edited:
Back