Need Help With My Battery & Charger Setup.

Rain City

Crew Member
Hey guys, not officially boat related but I think it applies to a lot of boats. This is the setup in my work trailer. I bought this Noco 10×2 charger thinking I'd have 2 batteries, like an idiot. Obviously I hooked them up in parallel and just used one side of the charger on both batteries. Negative on battery 1 and positive on battery 2. The problem I'm having is the charger keeps going into some kind of safety shut down mode. I looked it up and the manual says it's because the batteries aren't holding a charge. So off to Costco to get two new batteries. Hooked them up and it happens again in the first couple days. So my questions are:

1. Can I hook up both sides of the charger the same way to get 20 Amps of charging or is that a no no?

2. Is using a charger in this way appropriate for a system that is always on shore power?

20230204_112819.jpg

The trailer sits on site for 6-8 months and rarely gets unplugged. The trailer came with a 12v interior lighting system and charging plugs that I use regularly. I also installed a 12v fridge in there because I figured if I ever lost power, my batteries would still keep things cold. Or I could potentially use this as a hunting trailer one day. Lot's of good reasons to keep a 12v system running. I added the shore power and panel and a heater after I bought it.

I'd really appreciate some advice before I try a different charger and waste more money.

Hey guys, not officially boat related but I think it applies to a lot of boats. This is the setup in my work trailer. I bought this Noco 10×2 charger thinking I'd have 2 batteries, like an idiot. Obviously I hooked them up in parallel and just used one side of the charger on both batteries. Negative on battery 1 and positive on battery 2. The problem I'm having is the charger keeps going into some kind of safety shut down mode. I looked it up and the manual says it's because the batteries aren't holding a charge. So off to Costco to get two new batteries. Hooked them up and it happens again in the first couple days. So my questions are:

1. Can I hook up both sides of the charger the same way to get 20 Amps of charging or is that a no no?

2. Is using a charger in this way appropriate for a system that is always on shore power?

View attachment 89317

The trailer sits on site for 6-8 months and rarely gets unplugged. The trailer came with a 12v interior lighting system and charging plugs that I use regularly. I also installed a 12v fridge in there because I figured if I ever lost power, my batteries would still keep things cold. Or I could potentially use this as a hunting trailer one day. Lot's of good reasons to keep a 12v system running. I added the shore power and panel and a heater after I bought it.

I'd really appreciate some advice before I try a different charger and waste more money.
Check all connections first, then check the input and output voltages with everything connected. If that checks out, the issue may be the charger. The system you have should work, as long as your 12 v. load isn't too high, with the fridge. It's drawing at least 10 amps on it's own. That will drawn your batteries down. Next time, get a 30 amp RV converter for this application, with an appropriate cord and plug.

Check all connections first, then check the input and output voltages with everything connected. If that checks out, the issue may be the charger. The system you have should work, as long as your 12 v. load isn't too high, with the fridge. It's drawing at least 10 amps on it's own. That will drawn your batteries down. Next time, get a 30 amp RV converter for this application, with an appropriate cord and plug.
Ah ok so 30 Amps is more appropriate then? So you think the charger just isn't keeping up. The fridge, the internet booster, a camera, alarm and a big LED light all run 24/7. Can I double up on the charger connections to run the full 20Amps? If this is all totally bushleague I'll just upgrade right away.

Like this?...

Last edited:
Ah ok so 30 Amps is more appropriate then? So you think the charger just isn't keeping up. The fridge, the internet booster, a camera, alarm and a big LED light all run 24/7. Can I double up on the charger connections to run the full 20Amps? If this is all totally bushleague I'll just upgrade right away.

Like this?...
Check the NOCO literature on getting 20 amps out.

IOTA Engineering (DLS30) 30 Amp Power Converter/Battery Charger​

Designed for your applications and top quality: Amazon for $250.

You're a contractor so you know the value of a heavy cord to the 120 v. power.

You're a contractor so you know the value of a heavy cord to the 120 v. power.
Yeah I don't know why the heck I oversimplified/overcomplicated this thing. I think its started with wanting to have a small onboard charger and then added a panel with shorepower and then got tunnel vision. I even picked up a used inverter to throw in the mix. I don't know why I didn't just start fresh with a real shore power setup. Thanks

Yeah I don't know why the heck I oversimplified/overcomplicated this thing. I think its started with wanting to have a small onboard charger and then added a panel with shorepower and then got tunnel vision. I even picked up a used inverter to throw in the mix. I don't know why I didn't just start fresh with a real shore power setup. Thanks
We all have 20- 20 hindsight. My frequent motto is wud da, cud da. Another step on the learning journey...

Back