Circle Hooks

Poopa Swiss,

The reason we were accused of fishing "barbed" is that we did not lose a fish that day, and boated all we had on. The fish were hitting short, and guys were losing on a barbless J hook, where we did not, even where we had a number go airborne. Hoise Point was wall to wall boats, and everyone could see what everyone else was doing in the way of hook ups. We had a deadly combo, and some of the others were apparently jealous. Anyway, I share my experiences and give anyone I can a few circle hooks to try. On big northern pike, I don't even bother with a leader anymore, as the circle hook keeps the hook and line out of the pike's mouth. Funny part is, I was at Whale Channel with West Coast Resorts, and of all people, they should have known what I was talking about. Ended up leaving them a bunch of hooks as well.

Drewski Canuck

Poopa Swiss,

The reason we were accused of fishing "barbed" is that we did not lose a fish that day, and boated all we had on. The fish were hitting short, and guys were losing on a barbless J hook, where we did not, even where we had a number go airborne. Hoise Point was wall to wall boats, and everyone could see what everyone else was doing in the way of hook ups. We had a deadly combo, and some of the others were apparently jealous. Anyway, I share my experiences and give anyone I can a few circle hooks to try. On big northern pike, I don't even bother with a leader anymore, as the circle hook keeps the hook and line out of the pike's mouth. Funny part is, I was at Whale Channel with West Coast Resorts, and of all people, they should have known what I was talking about. Ended up leaving them a bunch of hooks as well.

Drewski Canuck

wow!! Thanx for all the replies!!! I am still undecided on this issue!! I am thinking I will probably go out and try regular hooks vs circle hooks and see what boats more fish. Also, as the day goes on more of my plan is coming together on a the new spoons. I will be finalizing a product name soon and maybe I could post some pics of the finished product if anyone is interested. If any of you can think of any improvements on current spoons please let me know. I am trying to create a product based on the needs of us fisherman, not clever marketing and flashy packaging, and that should keep prices lower than competing products.
I will keep posting the progress as I get closer. I am going to my favorite local tackle shop to see if perhaps they might be interested in putting a few of these on the shelf.

Thank you all for the info and please keep it coming!!

Matt

wow!! Thanx for all the replies!!! I am still undecided on this issue!! I am thinking I will probably go out and try regular hooks vs circle hooks and see what boats more fish. Also, as the day goes on more of my plan is coming together on a the new spoons. I will be finalizing a product name soon and maybe I could post some pics of the finished product if anyone is interested. If any of you can think of any improvements on current spoons please let me know. I am trying to create a product based on the needs of us fisherman, not clever marketing and flashy packaging, and that should keep prices lower than competing products.
I will keep posting the progress as I get closer. I am going to my favorite local tackle shop to see if perhaps they might be interested in putting a few of these on the shelf.

Thank you all for the info and please keep it coming!!

Matt

I'd love to see some photos or samples and please leave the circle off. Anybody that wants to fish circle hooks probably has a favorite brand/size and will/can add their own hook.

I personally don't want a circle hook anywhere near a spoon on my line - but then again I'll put my own siwash hook on even if it came packaged with one.

oh ya and make a wonderbread finish and you'll have a winner ;)

I'd love to see some photos or samples and please leave the circle off. Anybody that wants to fish circle hooks probably has a favorite brand/size and will/can add their own hook.

I personally don't want a circle hook anywhere near a spoon on my line - but then again I'll put my own siwash hook on even if it came packaged with one.

oh ya and make a wonderbread finish and you'll have a winner ;)

Looks like the new product will have a Siwash No4 on it. If the circle hook proves to work down the road it may be something I can look at. I want to make sure that when someone buys my product it has on the hook that they want. Siwash hooks seem to be the one that keeps being mentioned. Like I mentioned before I have some patterns in mind that seem to be consistent fish catchers( green glo, kitchen sink, army truck) and will be making my own versions of these old reliables. I have a few new ones to that work really well. If you guys can think of some good designs I would appreciate some ideas. Let me know what works and what area you are in, so I can try to produce spoons that will work in certain areas if necessary!! PS wonderbread is going to be one also!!!

Looks like the new product will have a Siwash No4 on it. If the circle hook proves to work down the road it may be something I can look at. I want to make sure that when someone buys my product it has on the hook that they want. Siwash hooks seem to be the one that keeps being mentioned. Like I mentioned before I have some patterns in mind that seem to be consistent fish catchers( green glo, kitchen sink, army truck) and will be making my own versions of these old reliables. I have a few new ones to that work really well. If you guys can think of some good designs I would appreciate some ideas. Let me know what works and what area you are in, so I can try to produce spoons that will work in certain areas if necessary!! PS wonderbread is going to be one also!!!

Looks like you probably have a good test market here. You could consider sending a few of your patterns out to these guides and ardent fishers for feedback and perhaps a little marketing.

Looks like you probably have a good test market here. You could consider sending a few of your patterns out to these guides and ardent fishers for feedback and perhaps a little marketing.

I will buy some and report back with results :D Spoons around Everett Washington do very well cant wait to try some

Back