Chop ,Cut,Rebuild

jeffywestcoast

Had an unfortunate incident at the boat ramp this morning, was backing down the boat launch when i herd a pop, got the rest of the way down launch and when i hoped on the bumper to undo the winch to my surprise the winch tower had folded over towards the boat, DAM..thank god it happened at the boatlaunch and not on the road, looks like tonight is going to be chop ,cut ,rebuild, was able to float my boat all the way onto the trailer and use a couple ratchet straps to connect boat hook to trailer, After examining how it was made i found it to be real goofy 5" channel bolted onto 4" square tubing welded all the way around the base making water sit there in the base of the square tubing, could have been bad had it failed on the hiway the boat could have launched into my truck or worse into someones else's vehicle..:(photo (13).JPG

Nope was way to windy for "fugly" three nice dungeoness crabs,brap..crabs n butter n oh and i towed a 28 foot sailboat out of the south nanaimo harbour entrance, he was stuck in the sand with his keel, took everything fugly had , three attempts and finally pulled er free..they were pretty happy campers.

I have the boat lashed down really good going to puller out to my buddies and start the fab job , stop at the beerstore for the welders fee..going to put a gusset in the new one and a small relief cut so water cant rust it out from the inside again.

I have the boat lashed down really good going to puller out to my buddies and start the fab job , stop at the beerstore for the welders fee..going to put a gusset in the new one and a small relief cut so water cant rust it out from the inside again.

Those damn welders always work for beer eh lol.

Good idea on the relief hole. Hope you get her all fixed up.

Cheers,
John

Good thing welders live on beer eh!! You may have run into some HI CLASS welders and they will work only for Heineken, Stella Artois etc. IMHO they are getting well ahead of themselves!! You're not in that bracket yet-are you John??

Good thing welders live on beer eh!! You may have run into some HI CLASS welders and they will work only for Heineken, Stella Artois etc. IMHO they are getting well ahead of themselves!! You're not in that bracket yet-are you John??

Nope. I'm still easliy influenced by Lucky Lager spring fever lol.

Haha..I would have asked Sculpin but im sure he see's enough of that from monday to friday ,a buddy of mine did it for me, it ain't pretty but for 33bucks for a 2 foot chunk of 3x3 and a box of pil it is stuck together now..in other news guess pulling that sailboat out of the sand was the start of the untimely end to my 75 johnson..no compression on # 2 left at all.. powerheads toast..:( IMG_2406[1].jpg

Jeffy,

Do yourself a favour and tack a bar half way up your winch post at a 45 degree and forward to your trailer tongue. You will nearly double the strength of the tow post and take 1/2 the stress off the new weld.

Thanks Finaddict we were going to do something like that also , but it is kinda on backburn untill i can get the outboard running or find a suitable replacement.

Hopefully the welding heat didn't melt/fry the wiring inside the tongue...

Lights still working good?

haha.. funny you say that cause when i purchased the boat the lights were toast,My bro in law and i made removable lights on 2x2 posts when i get to the boat launch i just remove them from the boat unplug them from truck and put them in the box,lights work awesome cause they never touch the saltwater..this is my current problem trying to decide weather or not it is worth fixing this 75 johnson, there is a used powerhead here in nanaimo guy wants 400 for it, there is a complete 75 evinrude on craigslist in victoria for 1200. running with good compression, i have good reliable mech help here in town just have to decide if this motor is worth putting any money into.Also Alberni fisher pointed out there is a complete boat in Alberni on the side of the hiway for 800 with 70 johnson... All i know for sure is this outboard isn't taking me fishing or prawning anytime soon...IMG_2407[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan Jackson had a 75 Johnson with an electric choke. :)

haha.. funny you say that cause when i purchased the boat the lights were toast,My bro in law and i made removable lights on 2x2 posts when i get to the boat launch i just remove them from the boat unplug them from truck and put them in the box,lights work awesome cause they never touch the saltwater..this is my current problem trying to decide weather or not it is worth fixing this 75 johnson, there is a used powerhead here in nanaimo guy wants 400 for it, there is a complete 75 evinrude on craigslist in victoria for 1200. running with good compression, i have good reliable mech help here in town just have to decide if this motor is worth putting any money into.Also Alberni fisher pointed out there is a complete boat in Alberni on the side of the hiway for 800 with 70 johnson... All i know for sure is this outboard isn't taking me fishing or prawning anytime soon...View attachment 7517

Not much salmon up here, this forum keeps me alive:) Wish I could help you with you boat, I couldn't resist that pun.

Your a funny guy Gunsmith..hows the Salmon fishing in Fort McMurry these days?....mine has an electric choke aswell..

No worries..ill be back in Alberta in about a month working, im not much of a county music fan i almost asked where i could find this guy..I need to get back to the oilfield so i can buy a boat that doesn't need rebuilding.. i didn't realize my motor was a 79..lol

Give Murray Iseli at Lordship Marine a call, he might be able to set you up with something used but good.

Already located a powerhead here in town, hoping it will work for now, getting it tested to see if it will work, should be able to swap it over once i locate some gaskets..also waiting to hear from a couple other sources lots of 70-75 johnson/evinrudes around harder to find one with a blown bottom end and a good powerhead.

Already located a powerhead here in town, hoping it will work for now, getting it tested to see if it will work, should be able to swap it over once i locate some gaskets..also waiting to hear from a couple other sources lots of 70-75 johnson/evinrudes around harder to find one with a blown bottom end and a good powerhead.

I'll be heading out a couple of evenings this week after work fishing if you need a fix PM me. Good luck with the motor man.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Back