Canucks 2023-2024 season

I thought Garland and Big Z both played well above expectations in the Playoffs I thought Hronek played well and is worth holding onto, especially considering they gave up a first round draft pick for him. Cole on the other hand made a lot of mistakes. I have mixed feelings on Myers. He has size and height with the reach of a praying mantis, and god knows the team needs size to balance the smaller stars they have. He made his share of mistakes, especially in the regular season, but is one of those players who seems to step it up in the playoffs. Really hope they can keep Garland and Big Z. They are both so entertaining and really step it up in the playoffs. Without Big Z who is going to protect Hughes, Garland, Boeser and EP40 and put some bonus pucks in the net. He really wants to stay, so perhaps he can rein in his agent a little on contract expectations during the upcoming negotiations.

Last edited:
I thought Garland and Big Z both played well above expectations in the Playoffs I thought Hronek played well and is worth holding onto, especially considering they gave up a first round draft pick for him. Cole on the other hand made a lot of mistakes. I have mixed feelings on Myers. He has size and height with the reach of a praying mantis, and god knows the team needs size to balance the smaller stars they have. He made his share of mistakes, especially in the regular season, but is one of those players who seems to step it up in the playoffs. Really hope they can keep Garland and Big Z. They are both so entertaining and really step it up in the playoffs. Without Big Z who is going to protect Hughes, Garland, Boeser and EP40 and put some bonus pucks in the net. He really wants to stay, so perhaps he can rein in his agent a little on contract expectations during the upcoming negotiations.
If it came down to either keeping Hronek or Zadorov I would be keeping Zadorov.

If it came down to either keeping Hronek or Zadorov I would be keeping Zadorov.
I agree, I don't think Hronek was very good during the playoffs, he definitely won't get the money he wants from the canucks, I suspect he'll be traded very soon, He's worth a lot more to someone else where he can be their go to guy on the pp, we have Hughes, he needs a good stay at home partner like Tanev imho. we'd get a good haul for him in a trade.

I agree, I don't think Hronek was very good during the playoffs, he definitely won't get the money he wants from the canucks, I suspect he'll be traded very soon, He's worth a lot more to someone else where he can be their go to guy on the pp, we have Hughes, he needs a good stay at home partner like Tanev imho. we'd get a good haul for him in a trade.
I think many Canuck players were shell shocked in the playoffs. They seemed to have no idea what a different level of grit was needed to not just survive but to stand out.

I think many Canuck players were shell shocked in the playoffs. They seemed to have no idea what a different level of grit was needed to not just survive but to stand out.
the thing with Hronek is it just wasn't the playoffs, it was at least the last 1/3 of the season, his play decreased and and his mistakes increased, part of his problem, especially in the playoffs is he tries to play bigger than he is and the big forwards pretty much have their way with him, huge disappointment imho, I suspect mgmt feels the same, instead of being possibly forced to pay him 7 to 8 mil. in a salary arbitration scenario they'd be better off to let him walk and use that cap space elsewhere, that's why I'm pretty sure he gets traded sooner than later before he can file for arbitration on july 7 I believe. It looks like they offered Zadorov a contract that's been turned down but they're still negotiating (I think it was canucks army that said it was a 4 or 5 yr contract at 4.5m/yr, they also said he was looking for a longer term) I think they'll up that offer to maybe just over 5m maybe up to 6 yrs, sure hope so, that would mean hronek will be gone for sure.

the thing with Hronek is it just wasn't the playoffs, it was at least the last 1/3 of the season, his play decreased and and his mistakes increased, part of his problem, especially in the playoffs is he tries to play bigger than he is and the big forwards pretty much have their way with him, huge disappointment imho, I suspect mgmt feels the same, instead of being possibly forced to pay him 7 to 8 mil. in a salary arbitration scenario they'd be better off to let him walk and use that cap space elsewhere, that's why I'm pretty sure he gets traded sooner than later before he can file for arbitration on july 7 I believe. It looks like they offered Zadorov a contract that's been turned down but they're still negotiating (I think it was canucks army that said it was a 4 or 5 yr contract at 4.5m/yr, they also said he was looking for a longer term) I think they'll up that offer to maybe just over 5m maybe up to 6 yrs, sure hope so, that would mean hronek will be gone for sure.
I agree with your assessment of Hronek. To be honest when they paid heavily to get him. Assumed he would anchor the 2nd pairing at that price. He’s definitely not worth more than 6 million on a 3-4 year contract. Think he’s an RFA so his right could’ve traded to a team that wants to sign him long term.

I’m definitely hoping they can get Zadorov

I may be with the minority on this, but I’d like to see them re-sign Hronek if it can be done reasonably. If they don’t, I think we’d see a regression for Hughes; I think a lot of his success is attributable to the chemistry the two of them had moving the puck together. In the first half of the season, their controlled zone exits were incredible, so dynamic they were almost impossible to forecheck. I can’t remember who reported it, but apparently Hronek’s elbow was heavily taped in the second-half of the season, which might explain the drop-off in production and his reluctance to shoot.

I may be with the minority on this, but I’d like to see them re-sign Hronek if it can be done reasonably. If they don’t, I think we’d see a regression for Hughes; I think a lot of his success is attributable to the chemistry the two of them had moving the puck together. In the first half of the season, their controlled zone exits were incredible, so dynamic they were almost impossible to forecheck. I can’t remember who reported it, but apparently Hronek’s elbow was heavily taped in the second-half of the season, which might explain the drop-off in production and his reluctance to shoot.
It's well known that Hronek wants 8 million and I don't think that will fit in with our team

It's well known that Hronek wants 8 million and I don't think that will fit in with our team
Will anyone give us the first round draft pick that we paid for Hronek? He may want 8 million but can he get it? That is Miller level money. Anyone think he contributed as much to team success as Miller did this year? To my thinking, the cap has not kept up to inflation and needs a massive increase, but I doubt a bunch of powerful billionaire who hang onto money like Scrooge McDuck will see it that way.

Yes, I agree. I don’t see him as an 8M player in light of the 2nd half and playoffs he had, and I’d be surprised if another team is willing to give him that now. Maybe if he had kept up his first half pace, but not now. At 6.5M or so, I think he’s someone I’d like to see them keep.

Yes, I agree. I don’t see him as an 8M player in light of the 2nd half and playoffs he had, and I’d be surprised if another team is willing to give him that now. Maybe if he had kept up his first half pace, but not now. At 6.5M or so, I think he’s someone I’d like to see them keep.
This is a tough one. Myers, Zadorov, Hronek all requiring contracts something has to give. Hronek had an undisclosed elbow injury that obviously would affect his point shot. My review, can’t pay him Hughes numbers, he is a RHD, that cost to get him in the first place and would cost again to replace. Offer 6.5 to 7 as mentioned so if he balks add term and if he rejects trade him for at least a first to a willing team and be done with it. Me, Zadorov, Hronek in Myers out unless he takes a huge pay cut in the 3m range. Can’t see that though.

This is a tough one. Myers, Zadorov, Hronek all requiring contracts something has to give. Hronek had an undisclosed elbow injury that obviously would affect his point shot. My review, can’t pay him Hughes numbers, he is a RHD, that cost to get him in the first place and would cost again to replace. Offer 6.5 to 7 as mentioned so if he balks add term and if he rejects trade him for at least a first to a willing team and be done with it. Me, Zadorov, Hronek in Myers out unless he takes a huge pay cut in the 3m range. Can’t see that though.
They also are going to need some money/cap space for Joshua after the season he had. He is going to want a little more than the $825,000. contract he got this season. He also fits the need for size and grit, and his line with Garland was productive.

Back