Can you add autopilot to a seastar kicker steering?

Some good user feedback here. I personally have never installed an auto pilot system for an auxiliary engine that is standalone. I would think that the turning ability on a bigger boat would be compromised a lot. Im glad to hear success stories

Some good user feedback here. I personally have never installed an auto pilot system for an auxiliary engine that is standalone. I would think that the turning ability on a bigger boat would be compromised a lot. Im glad to hear success stories
I definitely have tempered expectations about what it'll do with my 15000 pound condo. I am switching from my way underpowered 15HP to a 30HP though so hopefully it'll be "good enough"

I definitely have tempered expectations about what it'll do with my 15000 pound condo. I am switching from my way underpowered 15HP to a 30HP though so hopefully it'll be "good enough"

Thats pretty ****** awesome. Be able to turn a larger diameter prop. Get into a low pitched 4 blade. Should make a world of difference from your current setup I would say

You know there’s a setting to correct/compensate the course when your blowing sideways but still going straight as an arrow ? Just thought I would mention that as I have the same pilot and it’s unbelievable what you can do with it. Have to say I would never own a boat without one ever again. I love it.
Plotting a coarse its going straight there, when its blowing i just hold a heading to keep my rods straight using the 10 degree dodging keys to make my turns as the auto turns just a bit too quick .

Its also a hardtop and I know well that just a few seconds away from the helm with a bit off wind it will turn fast.

I ran an ezsteer for a while until piecing this project together but can now say it works perfectly.

Time is now spent fishing.

Looks like your kicker is center mounted or close to it? That will definitely help with steerage.

Looks like your kicker is center mounted or close to it? That will definitely help with steerage.
Mine? No off to one side so it sucks actually. I'm considering moving it over when I swap the motor out but that means filling holes in the swim grid in February.

Very easy to do, the lowrance autopilot(if you already have lowrance hds units) is the easiest and cheapest to do. Just ties into the connections at your helm pump. Best money you will spend on the boat

Mine? No off to one side so it sucks actually. I'm considering moving it over when I swap the motor out but that means filling holes in the swim grid in February.

Should check out a boat that some of you may know or have seen. Chris Speed 's Zeta 24. Hes a great captain and fisherman. Took some engineering but we got it dialed. We have this boat swinging both engines with auto pilot integration with remotes for rear also. Main has power steering pump removed and seastar ram with manual hydraulic conversion. Pretty slick

Attachments

• 20210131_220028.jpg
    20210131_220028.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210131_220404.jpg
    20210131_220404.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 32
Back