Campbell River Pinks 2022

JuBy

Figured I'd kick the tires on the pink run what's it like in the river, many started running up yet? Hoping to take my younger cousins out soon.

It is absolutely incredible. More now than anytime last year. All silver and still decently aggressive early in the morning. Not to many people out yet either. We were out that way the last 3 days and it was unreal how many are going up. Looks like it will be a big run. If you're looking to keep some now is the time. Take the kids and have a blast.

Lots of good sized Pinks. It is a bit of a gong show from the Quinsam River down to Sandy Pool, but lots of fish are being taken.

Unfortunately there is little or no enforcement so snaggers and flossers are rampant. The hot weather doesn't seem to be impacting the number of people fishing.

I like to fish down behind the old brick building, better flor for fly fishing and less crowds.

I fished the Quinsam yesterday, up near the hatchery. Lots of fish in there, at various stages. But I couldn’t get them to bite. They all shifted out of the way, to avoid my spoon. Maybe the Campbell is better for fresher fish. At dawn and dusk the bears are out doing their rounds for floaters.

How's the tapioca this year?
Yeesh. I stopped by the Campbell once last year and released quite a few mega tapioca feesh. Pretty gnarly. These days I tend to go further north for food pink fishin'. I did get one heavily tapioca'd fish in the Eve, too, last year.

I had plans of heading up island looking for some coho this week but heard a rumor that the Quinsam was closed due to low water ?

Not to be an butt but Do you base your understanding of the regulations in each system before you go out on rumours as well? Take a moment to look up the regs or call the local DFO/co offices yourself instead of relying on the internet forums ..they are wrong more than right. Anyways here is the lfishery notice..https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=266736&ID=all

I should have asked if anyone could post the fisheries notice.

And yes I would have called the fisheries office and asked during regular hours had I not got a response here.

Slabbedout, you can check for salmon fishing updates online, here: https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm

Type in keywords, like Vancouver Island, then pick Recreational Salmon from the list, and you'll find this notice:
With few exceptions, all Vancouver Island rivers are closed as of today.
The closure is because we have been in a serious drought for some time. River levels are extremely low, and water temperatures are extremely high; a lethal combination. Our salmon are dying. Let's give them as much of a chance as possible, and leave them alone to attempt to spawn.

For an example of what is happening in nearby streams in B.C., go here:
The video is well worth watching. The biologist explains why the salmon are dead.

Back