Buying a small boat from US to Canada

hlram

I’m going to look at an aluminum boat in Wa. And wanted to know how to check for liens if I have to?
Guy is original owner and has all the receipts when he bought the boat, boat and trailer are American made so no duty?
I read that if the owner has ownership papers, that means there are no loans towards the boat/trailer?
Get separate bill of sale for the boat,motor and trailer for customs?
Boat is a Gregor and trailer EZ load, motor Yamaha.
Any help is appreciated!

Howard

I've done a bigger boat that had the title paper. If the owner has it,it's paid for,otherwise the bank, (lien holder/lender) has it.

There should be a deed for the trailer. Make sure you have something like a copy of a Craigslist add to verify the price you paid and get a receipt showing the prices listed separately for trailer, boat, engine and any accessories included in the deal. You will pay taxes at the border but no duties. Hopefully the trailer is old enough so you don't have to do the Canadian Tire safety inspection which is just a money grab.

There should be a deed for the trailer. Make sure you have something like a copy of a Craigslist add to verify the price you paid and get a receipt showing the prices listed separately for trailer, boat, engine and any accessories included in the deal. You will pay taxes at the border but no duties. Hopefully the trailer is old enough so you don't have to do the Canadian Tire safety inspection which is just a money grab.

The Ad was a week and a half ago, I told the guy I was very intrested but didn’t want to come down til after April 1st. (No COVID testing) he was nice enough to hold it for me, then I thought about the Ad and it was deleted, found the Ad on messenger when I was talking to them before the phone calls. Unfortunately the trailer is the same as the boat 2011. Yes, lots of money grabs in BC.

Thanks for the info!

Just to let some know the hoops you have to go through buying from the states. My problem was getting a “binder insurance” most insurance places don’t know how to do it or never heard of it. So I called ICBC direct and talked to a broker agent and explained what I wanted to do. He said yes I could get a binder insurance, he asked for my drivers licence no. and said to go to an insurance agent and tell them to call ICBC if you have problems. First thing the lady said to me was there’s no such thing , never heard of that. So I told her to call ICBC and they walked her through it on the phone. Cost me $30 for 24 hours, you can get more days. You also need a Wa. State transit permit. I did it online, took 5 minutes and $10 USD. Got the boat and the border was easy as well, filled out “form 1” and all they did was charged me BC taxes. Didnt look at the title or boat, nothing. Paid my money and home I went!
Almost forgot, you need a plate on the trailer for driving in BC but not in Wa.

Back