BROWNS BAY CHUM DERBY 2009

Just depends on who is using the gaff. The net is for the LAZY MAN. The gaff is for the Fisherman with skills. I let The wife and friends use the net. Ask either how many fish I have missed.

Any how off to give it another try in the morning. Rob T. I am sure left me one or two to practice with.:D

Ch69

quote:The net is for the LAZY MAN. The gaff is for the Fisherman with skills.

Now let me see now--- I went home with a full fish box....but you didnt! :D:D:D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Cuba- was that you behind me as I left browns bay at around 8;30? I have the pursuit with blue top.
We had 16 fish in the boat by 12:30, awsome day and we used the gaff, exept for one size large I decided to net.
I wonder how plumper was, it would be nice not to have to make the run to greensea.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Nope-- not me. Only fished on Sat. We launched from Discovery Marina in CR.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Hey guys, just as a point of conversation in regards to gaffing fish.

The following is from the Canadian Gazette dated May 4, 2005 and is an addition to contraventions under the Fisheries Act.

The 200 is the amount of the fine.

It can be found on page 137 of the pdf document at the following web page.

My interpretation could be incorrect, but worth looking at.

16. 14 Using a gaff or spear to land a sport
fish caught by angling 200

http://dsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca/Collection/SP2-2-139-9.pdf

You seem to be referring to the Maritime Provinces Fishery Regulations. Doesn't really apply here, but an interesting find.

Been out for the last few days and its been hot. Fish are down a little deeper (100 feet), and the pink gear is more consistent than anything else. Back at it tomorrow, praying for no wind and the rain to hold off.

Hello, all.

I'll post my 2 bits since I enjoy reading the info and help from all of you myself, perhaps I can help a little also!

Saturday a.m. , afternoon, and p.m. = no blood on the boat!
Daughters blamed me for having a Lucky before fish in the cooler :lol: (the really funny thing is it's taken over 40 years for this Alberni boy to drink the beer of home :D)
Such a slow morning was a bit embarassing after the crew of 11 that came with me on 3 boats all did really well!
Found out that they were catching them around 90 to 100'
Sun a.m. and afternoon = no blood again!!!
Saw RT at the dock but he wouldn't give me his lucky shirt!

Sunday p.m. = all 3 ladies refused to come so just me and the boy went out.
Got him to crack the beer for me, superstition or what?
He handled the moocher very well even though I had to pass it around the other rods and then return it to him (if I hadn't given it back to him it would have been MY blood on the boat).
Anyhow, we each got one BIG chum, hardly fit in the old Scotty net.
Really nice to hear other boats clapping his efforts!

Monday a.m. got one girl out with me and we hit 2 quickly at Plumper, I love catching fish while others scream by to the 'hot spot' :D
Again one in the mid teens and one typical one of about 8lbs.
Secret this a.m. seemed to be bringing the kicker to almost dead stop then back to slow, both hits followed this immediately.
Today they were at 60'

A calm and sunny weekend (should have brought a hat for the bald spots!), the clubhouse really makes it nice for a family.

What's up with the RV site ****???
Should do a Seinfeld episode on that caretaker...

All practiced up and ready for next weekend.

See you there!

My girls wanted to see the Point Race bust the seiner in Deepwater inside the boundary, did any of you hear/see what happened?
We were in their way when the net went out and the [expletive] plowed straight through the fleet of sporties - my thought was how hard would it be to give a quick hail to let us all know what you are planning??? Boats were cranked to avoid the seiner.

Kelly: I was fishing with my family of 5, you can't miss us, and that black rubber dude crowded our line about 3 times. I kept playing nice and giving him room. The last time I'd had enough and held'er steady. When he got so close I could see that he hadn't shaved in a day or two I called out to him, nicely, that perhaps he could let us turn AWAY from the rocks, I knew I had him because neither him nor his buddy would look at me. If only I had a 30' tinny [}:)]

Cuba Libre: that was me and my small 10 year old bundled up in the old school pfd, thanks for the encouragement - he was stoked.

I talked to lots on the water, at the dock, and in the RV site.
Some were doing well, many weren't.
We typically come home with over 15 fish for the 2 1/2 days, this year it was only 4.
So, I'd say that it is still scratchy out there but a good sign of the coming weeks.

They are BIG.

Smiley.

I'll be arriving in Comox at 6:30 Friday and coming straight up to BB.

If there is room in that tent trailer I'll likely take it Copper - thanks.

Sounds like some fun!

See ya'll soon...

Gimee the gaff!!!

Jeff

Just got off the phone with Copper 2 and he said you are in.

Should be a blast. See you soon.

Mark

quote:Cuba Libre: that was me and my small 10 year old bundled up in the old school pfd, thanks for the encouragement - he was stoked.

ooops- Sorry Smiley-- dont tell him that I thought he was six. Hard to tell age from a distance. he did a hell of a job playing that fish with heavy current and boats all around.[8D]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

this will be my first time to Browns Bay Resort, was hopin you guys could answer a couple of questions. 1 are campfires allowed, if so is there fw available there? 2 is there anywhere within reasonable distance(boat or truck) to re stock the cooler? 3 is there any decent crabbing close by, worth it to bring traps/cooker?

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

see you all there...I appologize in advance to anyone we cut off in the mayhem!;)
black and grey 19' Bluewater

Unless I forget him at the airport...Osama should be there ready to party

Dan

Subject: FN0816-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net - Area D - Johnstone Strait - Opening

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0816-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net - Area D - Johnstone Strait - Opening

Areas 12 and 13 (Study Area Chum)

The Chum Working Group has concluded its pre-fishery meetings, and have
developed a fishing plan and consultation schedule for 2009. These fishing
plans are based on the efficiency of the gear, the timing of the fishery in
relation to the peak of the run in Johnstone Strait and the amount of effort
involved in the fishery.

The second 41 hour gill net opening on October 8th to 10th was modeled for an
anticipated participation of 120 vessels. An over-flight confirmed that 173
vessels participated in this fishery. This increase in effort will effect the
scheduling of the third gill net opening which was originally scheduled for Oct
15th to 17th.

In order to adhere to modeled harvest rate limits established in this fishery,
the third gill net opening will be delayed by one week and will commence on
October 22.</u> The duration of this opening could be shorter than the regular 41
hour fishing period, and will be confirmed on the grounds following
confirmation of effort levels.

Gill Nets open until further notice beginning 16:00 hrs Thursday October 22, in
the following areas:

AREA 12:
In Subareas 12-1 to 12-6, 12-8 to 12-12, 12-18 (easterly of a line running from
Lewis point to Donegal head on Malcolm Island), 12-20, 12-21 and 12-24. Minimum
mesh size 149 mm (5 7/8 inches) maximum depth 90 meshes. Maximum hang ratio
3:1, corkline to web distance minimum 0 cm and maximum 2 m.
Variation order # 2009–CR–JS-GN–03

AREA 13:
In Subareas 13-6, 13-7 (excluding Deepwater Bay) 13-8 to 13-10, a portion of 13-
11 lying west of a line from Bodega Point on Quadra Island to a boundary sign
at 50 degrees 16.390 minutes N by 125 degrees 22.620 minutes W 13-27 to 13-32,
13-35, and 13-40 (Westerly of a line running from the prominent point
approximately 1.5 miles east of Eden Point across to a boundary sign on the
Hardwicke Island shore opposite). The regular Amor de Cosmos Creek boundary
will be in effect. Minimum mesh size 149 mm (5 7/8 inches). Maximum depth 90
meshes, maximum hang ratio 3:1, corkline to web distance minimum 0 cm and
maximum 2 m.
Variation order # 2009–CR–JS-GN–03.

An announcement confirming the duration of this fishery will be made on the
grounds following confirmation of effort levels.

Hello, chumsters.

Cubra: no worries, he was so happy to read a post about himself that he just about peed himself! Thanks for making him feel like a hero!

Happy: the only campfire is at the end of the RV park - expressly none allowed in individual sites, they supply firewood free.
Freshwater is at every site.
I've been told by locals that crabbing in Menzies Bay is good. We tried 3 years ago and ended up losing the trap on the first drop so haven't tried again.

As for cutting off, who doesn't do it or suffer it occasionally due to losing focus, being a bit too luckied, etc. It is only when someone does it repeatedly that they should have a consequence.
I wonder if paintballs would make them think, especially if it happened from several different boats [}:)]

Smiley.

The weather looks a little damp for the weekend but nothing a dozen or so wobblies font fix. I may show up there friday eve to meet some of you guys. Sounds like a fun weekend, Ive never actually taken part in the derby, its usually too wet for my liking.. What campsite will you guys be haunting?

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by happy hooker

this will be my first time to Browns Bay Resort, was hopin you guys could answer a couple of questions. 1 are campfires allowed, if so is there fw available there? 2 is there anywhere within reasonable distance(boat or truck) to re stock the cooler? 3 is there any decent crabbing close by, worth it to bring traps/cooker?

I just talked to the Browns Bay campsite today and I was told there are two designated group areas for camp fires which they supply the firewood for. There are no pits at the RV slips so bringing firewood is not required. To re stock your cooler the closest beer store is Campbell River I believe. Someone else might know of a closer location.

I am thinking of bringing a Crab trap myself and dropping it in Menzies Bay for a couple of soaks. It is a quick run through the narrows from Browns and has produced some decent crab at times.

Reel Chaos

Up again today....sport fishing fleet was almost non existent. Trollers were hard at it and catching fish when the bite came on late in the flood, and about an hour after the flip to the Ebb. Fishing was slower than the past few days over the weekend. We did get into close to 15 - 20 fish, but it wasn't steady. A few here, dead, then a few there kind of thing. So you really had to work at it compared to previous days.

Weather was actually great until about 1 p.m. when it started to rain more heavily. No wind, which made life a whole lot easier.

The hot ticket was pink gear at 100 feet.

Searun

Back