Boat tops

fish stalker

Wow I typed out a big thing and realized there was way to much information. :o I really need help on what to do. 80% buying a boat on Saturday. A big issue for me is it dosnt have a cuddy or even hardtop which I really wanted but this may be the only way to get boat right now. It has no top soft either. Its a late 70's double eagle. How much is it for a soft top? Where do you buy these things? If I could buy the braces I might be able to sew the canvas. Pleaze any advice would be great. Im in Vic.

My guess for new aluminum rails , zippered canvas enclosure and windows
about $1000-$1200
Its been a while since i priced them , so i may be out to lunch ?

how big of boat i have the bars for a soft top for a 16' hourston you could probably modify

I have a great guy who does good work, but there are not cheap scoot is i yhink on the lower end as SS has gone up in price in the last few years id say close to 2 grand if not more complete, you will find cheaper around but this guy is good and very fussy and has to be perfect in his eyes let me know...unless you have an industrial machine and know what your doing its hard to do (not like a dress) LOL
If that boat isnt exaclly what you want then ask your self why buy it??? you have lots of time A. especially with the chance of our salmon season going the the toilet find what you want and save some more money for "your" perfect boat

Wolf

Crap thats what I was afraid off. Even the bare bones tops eh? There so basic... So mabey a patio umbrella stand and umbrella!? :) That would be classy! lol I do have a industrial machine with a roll of nice canvas and Ive put snaps on before... My mom is a pretty good seamstress. Its a 18ft double eagle. I have the bars from my 16 ft d.e with canvas but apparertly it was already tried but wasnt right. May have just been the snap location im not 100%. I cant wait and have save I haaaave to get on the water asap im dying here. Waiting to long. I think buying a boat is like having a kid there is never the right time you just have to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a top with side windows, detatchable back and a custom fit mooring cover made for 2 grand. Nice work and they did it to my needs. I am very happy. 17' boat.

Sent from my HTC

Can I use that line with my wife! "It just had to be done and there's never a right time so I thought now would be okay. Kind of like ripping off a band-aid!"

I think she would understand based on how much she wanted the kids a few years back!

Bifmalibu, Who did the work for you? I have a bimini with no back curtain I would like to enclose as well as a complete cover for mooring.

I built a fibreglass hardtop with welded aluminum posts for about $2k 3 years ago - for my 17.5 Campion. Was not too difficult. Had some experienced help though. Had a new soft top priced out at $1.5 - $2k and decided to go hardtop for that. Never looked back.

you guys are getting off fairly cheap by the sounds of it,
I just had a full stand-up with 18" windshield extension and 7/8 stainless tubing, side windows, rear drop downs with center door , and then a rear storage cover
that zips into all of that to keep the deck dry and it was 3400 and we used top gun material, way better then the sunbrella, doesnt stretch or shrink or get baggy when wet,
so I guess it depends on what you want to do and how elaborate it is, if you were on the mainland I would say give Ivers a call and he could probably give you a quick ballpark quote over the phone,
I dont think there is a boat he hasnt done his knowledge is second to none.

Hey HF,
The material is called top gun it holds it's shape and color under all conditions unlike my last sunbrella
Which would sag and flap in the wind, it is known to become baggy and fade whereas this stuff is not suppose to I guess time will tell, I also went with all high end fasteners and mounts as well as
Stepping up to 7/8 polished stainless from 1/2 aluminum now everything is nice and quiet and no
Rattles, flush mount floor anchors with quick releases for the poles that drop down behind the seats
Which hold the drop downs securely in place, also not sure where your at but I think pricing maybe a
Little more competitive on the island vs the mainland as there's really only a handfull left over here doing it, Ivers has done my last three boats better then I ever expected and this one is his best work
IMO

Hey gidyup.
Who is Ivers? Where is he located, do you have contact details?

Thanks. Sounds like he does good work since you have used him a number of times

jeffb, here a few pics. You are welcome to come by and check it out. I am in Victoria.

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 136
Here the front and back post seats on the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 130
If you looking for some shade you can pick-up a bimini off ebay for a couple hundred bucks, or watch craiglist and they come up once in a while

Hey gidyup.
Who is Ivers? Where is he located, do you have contact details?

Thanks. Sounds like he does good work since you have used him a number of times
Ivers boat tops
(604) 856-2455
1528 Lefeuvre Rd, Abbotsford, BC V4X1H7
just off the corner of 16th and lefeuvre
I know it say abbotsford but its almost aldergrove
well worth the travel

If the boat doesn't come with any type of top, you should maybe shop around and see what you can get for 2k more. Unless of course you are getting a steal of a deal.......

I have seen Chris73 boat and think it's sweet! I thought about building a hardtop for my last boat, but then found it was cheaper and easier to sell and buy a new boat with what I wanted. If you were to build a top, why not get a cheap or free compact truck canopy, then cut off the top and use that for your hardtop. Then you just need to find a guy to bend and weld some aluminum for you and get some plastic/canvas and bob's your uncle.

Back