Best VI waters for small boat, beginner crew?

I fished for years in a 14' Lund with a 25hp Johnson. Bobs like a cork. I went everywhere with that thing, Barkley, Clayoquot, Broughtons, you name it. Became kind of and expert with wind waves and current, you have to. Only challenge at times was the fog, hard to predict when that will happen but it was fun times. Ski goggles help in the pelting rain and wore a floater suit pretty much all the time.

I fished for years in a 14' Lund with a 25hp Johnson. Bobs like a cork. I went everywhere with that thing, Barkley, Clayoquot, Broughtons, you name it. Became kind of and expert with wind waves and current, you have to. Only challenge at times was the fog, hard to predict when that will happen but it was fun times. Ski goggles help in the pelting rain and wore a floater suit pretty much all the time.
We never thought of ski goggles, but we sure wore raingear on lots of sunny days. Our 16' Skookum could handle lots of water, but nobody said it was a dry ride.

South island is probably your best best. Its sheltered and has decent fishing in summer. Pick your days but Victoria waterfront (esquimalt anglers ramp) would work for salmon in a small boat like that. You would be fishing right outside the breakwater out to Ogden point.

I caught my biggest chinook there last year (27.2lbs) just off the harbour entrance.
Another option is beacher bay in east sooke (like others have said)

Both only on calm days.

The advantage of both these areas is they are close to the ramp, lots of other boats will be out there so your not alone in case something goes wrong and they are close to SAR stations so help is near. Also both areas are not exposed to open ocean and large swells.

Once again pick your days for good sea conditions but both areas can be good for salmon fishing. Beacher bay will be good for pinks this summer
Last points. Make sure you are ALWAYS wearing a life jacket and have a radio tuned to VHF 16 and VHF 68 (local fishing call/talk channel)

Anybody have much experience with the waters up around Port McNeil? My inlaws live up there, right on the beach with a view of Malcolm Island.

There's a few of us who've got lots of time on the water there. What do you want to know about?
Thanks Eden. I guess just if there are any spots that are decent fishing and likely to have conditions suitable for my setup (14', 20" transom, 25hp 2 stroke)? Or on the flip side, any spots I should be cautious of.

Thanks Eden. I guess just if there are any spots that are decent fishing and likely to have conditions suitable for my setup (14', 20" transom, 25hp 2 stroke)? Or on the flip side, any spots I should be cautious of.
I've fished the whole area in a boat similar to yours for 15 years. [16' Skookum Sealer - completely open boat with a 30 hp 2-stroke]. Fishing from Port McNeill, the easiest spots are
1. along the shore towards Alert Bay [check your closed areas and times]
2. along the reefs that run from Ledge Pt to Haddington Island [again, check the RCA boundaries]
3. from Ledge Pt up to Lady Ellen and the bay above with gravel loading equipment

If you're up for going farther afield, the top end of Malcolm can be good, and then down the far side of Malcolm to Bere Pt and Black Bluff. There, you need to watch for the NW building fast, and be ready to get out of there quickly - its rough across the top of Malcolm if it blows up.

Even if its windy, you can often fish 1 above, or on the Malcolm Island side from Haddington Reef down towards Mitchell Bay. Whenever I fish in a boat like yours, I think about what it will be like coming home if it blows westerly. Eg. Lady Ellen is a great place to be if it picks up because you can run with it all the way to Ledge Pt, then you're inside the harbour and home safe and dry. Conversely, running back to PM from Mitchell Bay can be wet and rough.

If you're thinking of going even further afield, post again or PM me - I've been all over the Broughtons and fished out of TC and around Weynton Passage, etc. I'm not the best fisherman, but I know a bit about taking family in an open boat.

I've fished the whole area in a boat similar to yours for 15 years. [16' Skookum Sealer - completely open boat with a 30 hp 2-stroke]. Fishing from Port McNeill, the easiest spots are
1. along the shore towards Alert Bay [check your closed areas and times]
2. along the reefs that run from Ledge Pt to Haddington Island [again, check the RCA boundaries]
3. from Ledge Pt up to Lady Ellen and the bay above with gravel loading equipment

If you're up for going farther afield, the top end of Malcolm can be good, and then down the far side of Malcolm to Bere Pt and Black Bluff. There, you need to watch for the NW building fast, and be ready to get out of there quickly - its rough across the top of Malcolm if it blows up.

Even if its windy, you can often fish 1 above, or on the Malcolm Island side from Haddington Reef down towards Mitchell Bay. Whenever I fish in a boat like yours, I think about what it will be like coming home if it blows westerly. Eg. Lady Ellen is a great place to be if it picks up because you can run with it all the way to Ledge Pt, then you're inside the harbour and home safe and dry. Conversely, running back to PM from Mitchell Bay can be wet and rough.

If you're thinking of going even further afield, post again or PM me - I've been all over the Broughtons and fished out of TC and around Weynton Passage, etc. I'm not the best fisherman, but I know a bit about taking family in an open boat.
Great tips thanks Eden. Will have to get my Navionics app out and see if I can follow along/find those spots. Have only been on the water once up there and that was with a guide, so I wasn't really paying attention to the navigation.

Fished in front of Sayward on left side or right side. Great salmon fishing I had experienced in the 70s in a small tin boat. Seeing cruise boats or whales are bonus.

Back