Best time to sell? Best time to buy?

Dave S

I'm sure you there are a lot of guys on here that have bought and sold a lot of boats. Just wondering what you guys find is the best time to buy and sell a boat?

I'm guessing Winter is best time to buy a boat with holiday costs and the fact that it isn't being used much.

I'm also thinking that late Spring is the best time to sell a boat. Everyone starts looking at upgrading for the season.

Thoughts?

Best time to buy; right around Christmas, or in January when the Visa bills come in. People are usually broke and need the money.

Best time to sell; late spring, early summer.

Pretty much just what you figured.

The rebates on the new stuff comes out just before the boat show (Feb) and any non-current inventory gets pushed a little harder. The camp returns come back around that time too I think.

I have bought and sold a lot of boats and motors in the past 5 years. I do find that the best prices to buy are indeed around xmas, January and February. However a lot of owners don't feel inclined to sell at that point and wait for spring.

Early spring, when people pull out the boat for the first time and realize they didn't winterize their motor properly can also be a time for great deals. Dirt cheap boats with blown motors often come available and can be fixed for half the price of replacement if you are mechanically inclined.

Best time to sell is June or whenever the weather gets hot.

Back