BEST Salt Water Fishing Store in YOUR Town

TROTAC is definatlly the only place to go to but hey im not the best person to ask as my friends work there LOL great guys been freinds with paul coming up to 20 yrs and he knows his stuff...

Wolf

When Wholesale Sports opened in Nanaimo everyone thought it would be great. A year and a half later the store SUCKS. Poor staff, high prices, and many holes in the stock which never seem to get filled. A number of times I have stopped in to find gear only to find they don't have it. Even the staff think it's a joke!
Gone fishing has a great selection considering their size, friendly staff who at least try to help you, and much lower prices than the big box store.
Tedd'ys Tackle in Chemanius is tops for fly fishing gear and tying materials!

I was just about to chime in with Teddy's Tackle as well. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who can match Ted's knowledge and devotion to the sport. He also sits on or is involved with pretty well all the conservation organizations on the Island as well.
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Both Trotact and Island Outfitters treat me great. They both have different strengths and weaknesses. Trotac's biggest one is getting to the darn place and not being able to find anything when the staff are busy.

Westshore is also a great place to shop, very friendly every time I've been in there, just not close to where I am (When they are open). The selection there is great too!

I really can't think of a bad tackle shop. As for shops with a fleet of charter boats, I can think of one of them that has dropped a few charters in my lap, so business is business, they all have worked for me.

Gone Fishing in Port Alberni. Friendly, knowledgeable staff and a wide selection of products. And more than willing to bring in what you might desire should that not already be on the shelf.

Keep an eye on Canada Tire in Port down the road. With a new Manager in the sporting goods section, I have direct inside knowledge that things are about to change for the better. ;)

Pacific Net & Twine in Parksville is Excellent! I rely on them for a whole host of products, and they seem to almost always have what I need whether commercial or sport fishing.

There is a rumor circulating regarding a new store that may come to light in Ucluelet this coming season. Time will tell if this is for real, but from what I understand of the plans, it may well be a Winner! ;)

Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo has been a considerable let-down (for me) especially given all the hype. Despite 6 visits now, I have yet to find that "knowledgeable" staff person, a "decent" deal, and thus far they have not had the items I went in for in stock. Won't be back.

Cheers,
Nog

My vote would be for Gone Fishing in Courtenay. Good seasonal selections, the staff are friendly and they will bring stuff in for you if you ask...

SS

I like both GoneFishing and Tyee Marine here in Courtenay,both have friendly staff willing to help, but I'd have to say GoneFishing has been slightly better to "deal" with,and so far has gotten more of my hard earned:pdollars that has been spent on fishing gear...

P.S. Hey holmes,

all the years I've been going over to Nootka, I thought the Shell/Payless gas station was "THE" place in Gold River;):D:D

I like both Gone Fishin and Tyee in Courtenay. Both have knowledgeable staff and reasonable prices. Sure, every now and then Crappy Tire may have a "special", but I would rather spend my paultry sums of money in smaller stores with staff that I know and can BS with them .

Up here on the North island, Jim's Hardy Sports is not bad, reasonable selection and OK prices. Here in McNeill, there is a couple places that have gear, but they are priced through the roof. If you have to buy something, then go to Shoprite Marine.

I usually hit Ken at Ideal Tackle in CR or use the internet to buy stuff.

Cheers

SS

Having owned many boats over 45 yrs, I have spent a fair amount in Trotac in Victoria, Pioneer in Ukee and Eagle Eye in Sooke.
:eek: GOD I really miss Pallister's and Ed's memory of where everything was

Welll, in Duncan we have Walmart, Canadian Tire, and Bucky's.
My vote for knowledge, and price, goes to Bucky's. They don't have the "wall of tackle" like Canadian Tire, or the (I think) high prices of Walmart and CT, but they do do have knowledge, between Richard, Calvin and Marcus, of what works and a selection of gear that you can use. I've had it with places that have the 54 colours of flashers and spoons and hoochies, but nobody who knows the difference.
That said, I also like Trotac, but have you ever wanted to pick up a few hoochies or spoons and they have 1700 different colour combos? Good people but I get confused by the selection. Getting older I guess, but I think I like a less confusing scenario and knowledgable people more.

West shore for me, great service and knowledge,also Trotac, only problem too much stuff, like a kid in a candy store, also some stuff not priced. 1 good thing they are willing to drop some prices if u ask nice

Back