Best Prawn Traps to purchase????

Islandgirl

I just got an Ezzy Puller for Christmas..so now I have to buy traps and rope and try find some prawn spots.

Any advice on the best ones to buy would be appreciated..
Thanks

dont get any of the square/rectangle traps, buy the commercial style round ones.

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

Go down to Trotac there the best to buy.

Wolf

Didn't know they still made Ezzy Puller that guy's units are called King Puller or something like that now.

Anyway as mentioned the commercial grade round traps made by http://www.ladnertraps.com/ are the best hands down.

Don't buy any of the Chinese made imitations-they stink like paint and are plain junk.

Edited by - Dogbreath on 12/27/2005 11:44:22

Those look exactlty like the ones they sell and I know they do get them from van. area maybe there the same ones thats all i use!!!!!

Wolf

Thanks for all the help..I think I will stick with the ladnertraps
Any suggestions on what size..they do have a variety.
Thanks

Hi carol,I use a a couple of different kinds,one is a vinal coated steel trap that is a piece of crap.I use the buoy ball system for retrieval,and it gets crushed if you hit the ball on the way up.The other is a ladner trap it folds up 12by12 catches a lot of prawns and takes a beaten.spend a little more and get a quality pot.

thanks the runt

I am with Dogbreath. I have used Ladner Traps for years. Never had a problem, in any way. I have even had them make special weighted traps. Deal with Kevin Zack. Very knowledgeable and cooperative. Will give you straight answers and great service.

Pescadero

quote:Thanks for all the help..I think I will stick with the ladnertraps.
Any suggestions on what size..they do have a variety.
Thanks
If you have room on your boat the 32" nesting traps are best-if not then go for a folding one.
Remember they won't be aboard all day just until you get to your spot.
Use a 5# lead cannonball for weight at least.

hi all, bigger traps do fish better, commercial boys are now going to larger traps 40" and up, in most areas they can only haul their traps once a day thus the larger traps. If you check arround you can buy their smaller 30" size all rigged and some like new. That said just down the road (north of Duncan) a home business is making round 24" traps same style as Ladner look good, a friend just bought some, we"ll see how they fish and let you know.

Any advice on the type of bait holder and what kind of bait to use..I will be setting this all up from scratch..so I may as well buy the right stuff the first time around.

Thanks

Where are you located? so we can determine where to send you to get all this stuff!!!!

Wolf

for baitholders buy the plastic bait jars from scotty, and drill the sides full of holes, then what i do is zap-strap the lids to the inside of the traps, and just screw/unscrew the jar.

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

Hi Wolf

I am located in Courteny..I do get to Victoria quite often so I could always buy down there.
Thanks

Hello Carol we have a store down here called Trotac marine which most guides and fellow fisherman many on this forum use because of there prices especially and there selection the guys down there are very good to deal with ask for Paul or Trevor there the ones who deal mostly in sportfishing they are good friends of mine and I fish with them alot tell them I sent you down and they will hook you up and answer any questions you need to know regarding your prawning.

Good luck Wolf

I use the Ladner trap round traps that nest inside each other.I like the commercial sized mesh rather than the sport sized mesh as I seem to have no problem getting limits and I like the bigger sized prawns yeilded from the larger mesh size(lets the smaller prawns escape).The round traps fit better on the boat and I coil my lines inside the traps after I am done.This keeps things fairly organized.I think the more traps fishing the better within the legal limits and the nesting abiliaty of the Ladner traps lets me get a dozen traps with lines on the boat no problem.
Tight Lines and Full traps in the New year
kronic_fisherguy

Back