best prawn trap for the buck

• Thread starter Thread starter darmin
  • Start date Start date
Are you tight for space? If so there is a great selection of folding traps, some cheap ones (20-30bucks), but I think you get what you pay for. There are also some nice ones on the market called Jolly Good (SS frame ,folding traps). The other option would be a commercial style trap (stackable) if you are not worried about space. All will work with the right bait.

Are you tight for space? If so there is a great selection of folding traps, some cheap ones (20-30bucks), but I think you get what you pay for. There are also some nice ones on the market called Jolly Good (SS frame ,folding traps). The other option would be a commercial style trap (stackable) if you are not worried about space. All will work with the right bait.

I use a 5 foot stainless steel commercial and this year i set it with 3 of those cheap foldable bucket traps and everytime the bucket traps outfished it. go figure?

I use a 5 foot stainless steel commercial and this year i set it with 3 of those cheap foldable bucket traps and everytime the bucket traps outfished it. go figure?

Did you have that stainless trap on the same line? I was told by a commercial prawner not to mix stailess and steel traps on the same line. I was sceptical, but I tried it and it did seem to help alot with getting each trap fishing well. I usually get anywhere from 5-10 pnds of prawns per trap and I only use commercial gear! I know where to get the commercial traps for $25-30$ each.

Did you have that stainless trap on the same line? I was told by a commercial prawner not to mix stailess and steel traps on the same line. I was sceptical, but I tried it and it did seem to help alot with getting each trap fishing well. I usually get anywhere from 5-10 pnds of prawns per trap and I only use commercial gear! I know where to get the commercial traps for $25-30$ each.

yea rob i set the stainless on the end then a bucket each 50 feet up. Ill try that on the next set 5-10lbs is ushually what i have been getting total on a good day. thanks for the tip

yea rob i set the stainless on the end then a bucket each 50 feet up. Ill try that on the next set 5-10lbs is ushually what i have been getting total on a good day. thanks for the tip

Round traps are the only way to go and the larger the better. Also pick a trap with heavy webbing. Pacific Net & Twine outlets sometimes sell used commercial traps and rope at good prices. I like used rope because it's easy to coil. I find two commercial traps on a line too heavy to hand pull so I go with one sport Ladner trap and one commercial. If you are new to prawning/crabbing read the info at the site below - although it's not our area and it's crabbing they got great tips. Please do not over scope your traps (too much rope) and weight the rope well.

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/?q=node/48

Round traps are the only way to go and the larger the better. Also pick a trap with heavy webbing. Pacific Net & Twine outlets sometimes sell used commercial traps and rope at good prices. I like used rope because it's easy to coil. I find two commercial traps on a line too heavy to hand pull so I go with one sport Ladner trap and one commercial. If you are new to prawning/crabbing read the info at the site below - although it's not our area and it's crabbing they got great tips. Please do not over scope your traps (too much rope) and weight the rope well.

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/?q=node/48

Back