Best place for trailer work Vic/ Langford?

Tips Up

Looking for advice on best place to get trailer work done in Victoria/ Langford area.
Galvinized Roadrunner Trailer for 17 ft boat. No brakes. Single axle
Looking to replace rims (old ones not galvanized) and tires due to rust but have found the lug bolts are rusted pretty solid. May need new leafsprings, balance boat on trailer...

Thanks
Tips

Aside from the leaf springs, i would tackle that job yourself.
Princess auto have either painted or galvanized rims and tires
A wire brush and some WD40 will clean up the lugs.
Probably a good idea to check the bearings, if worn the bearing kits
run about $15-20 a side.
I just redid a roadrunner trailer for about $150.00, tires,bearings,buddies & lights

What's the conventional wisdom on calipers? I had a caliper piston freeze last summer in Nanaimo (heated up the rotor which at first made me think it was bearing failure). I was dead in the water for three days waiting for Parker to get it buttoned back up properly (they wanted to fly in a new one from USA for $500 but I finally ended up bringing it to Canada tire and they cleaned it up and got me back on the road for $ 55).

Should I be thinking of replacing all four calipers on a tandem axle 5 year old trailer or should I just pull them and clean them and make sure pads are o.k.?

All my other trailers did not have brakes so this is a new animal for me

thanks

I hear you Craven but time is something I don't have much of these days. Between work and kids my time is limitted and my spare time is better spent fishing than working on projects. So with this one I just want to pay up and have it done quickly and properly.

Hubs have bearing buddies and are still tight but should probably be opened up and checked over.
Mostly I am thinking those lugs are going to snap off when I try to remove them and I want to get the boat properly balanced on the trailer and have a shop check everything over.
Better now than on the road to Renfrew and such.
You for hire? LOL

Thanks
Tips

Sharphooks
Not sure what your post has to do with fixing my trailer with no brakes as stated.
Maybe start your own thread. LOL!
Tips

Tips, these guys are pretty good i understand...

[h=1]Empire Welding Co 1986
[/h]

Phone :
(250) 478-4213

Fax (250) 478-4299
Address :
1111 Goldstream Ave, Victoria, BC V9B2Y9

Star Auto near the 6 mile pub on the old island hwy did my breaks and bearing and next door is Integra tire shop that can help with your tire needs. I recently purchased a new spare tire and a new 6 bolt rim from them at a cost of $170, $100 under the sale price at Prince Auto.

Besides the rust is your trailer operating okay; lights etc? Like Craven said the bearings are important, probably the most important thing to check on your trailer. Having a shop do it can run from 45 - 1 hour for each wheel, plus bearing kits. Of course you can check those yourself pretty easy. Jack up one side at a time a spin the wheel, listening for any sort of growling sound. You can also grab the wheel and try to move it and look for excessive free play.

I know you said you want a shop to do it but checking of the wheel bearings should happen more often than a regular service.

Absolutely-and might as well find out you need a plug change and do it right there. Kind a fun watchin the old guys with not a lot to do(except fish) lose their rag. Hey while were at it, when they ask you how long you might be(politely of course) you might opine how you feel DFO has a real handle on things and slots are the way to go! Let me know what hospital you;re in so I can send flowers. LTMAFO.

Back