best house batteries

screemn

I am currently using interstate 27mxhd $130 ,but will need knew soon.These have lasted 4 years ,which is good,but always looking for better.Any ideas.WP_000221.jpg

the best house bank is 2 6volt batteries wired in series, making it a 12v bank...this way the amp/hours add together giving the best possible power for low, slow amp draws(house draws)...it is a very comon thing now-a-days...I would go with interstate again,

interstate makes the 6volts aswell...they may market them as golfcart batteries but a dealer or rep should be able to answer that for you

thats the way I would go

X2. I am looking into the dual 6 volt application and I would stick with the Interstates. Great batteries and service. I don't know if they are "the best" but I have no complaints since switching to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
X3, even went to the 2x6's in my 30' 5th wheel.
But I have 4 of them and a 5.5 klw Onan Cummins genset that runs on propane.
I can go several days running on the 6 volts!

x4 went with the 2 GC2's in series. A powerful system!

Sweet boat by the way!!

X5 on that same as me and should last way more than 4 years i was told up to 10

X6! Can,t go wrong with Interstates. I,ve got a starting and deep cycle that are 4 years old now with absolutely no
problems whatsoever. All I,ve done to them is keep them maintained with 2 watt solar panels,and top up the cells
with distilled water every so often.

screemn,
just a tip since your local, buy direct from the distributor in port kells off 201st and 102 ave
it'll saveyou a few bucks, they have a retail counter there

Federal Battery had some good pricing at the boat show on Starting and House batteries. 550 E Broadway

screemn,
just a tip since your local, buy direct from the distributor in port kells off 201st and 102 ave
it'll saveyou a few bucks, they have a retail counter there

Thats where I went. My GC2's were approx. $150 and the 27 Series Cranker was $120

the best house bank is 2 6volt batteries wired in series, making it a 12v bank...this way the amp/hours add together giving the best possible power for low, slow amp draws(house draws)...it is a very comon thing now-a-days...I would go with interstate again,

interstate makes the 6volts aswell...they may market them as golfcart batteries but a dealer or rep should be able to answer that for you

thats the way I would go

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement, but don't you need 4 6v batteries in series parallel to double both voltage and amperage capacity?

http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/wiring-your-battery-bank-in-series-parallel-and-series-parallel

nope, on the link you provided I was talking about the first diagram, 2 6volt in series will give you 12v, I didnt mention anything about series parallel....the 4batt bank would be way to much for this application, more for a large cruiser running fridge, freezer, ac, etc.... genset to charge

oh I see what your saying about the amp/hours, my understanding was always in series, you add the amp/hours...I stand corrected...either way the 6volt in series is the best house bank option, lots of guys go this route

Also take a look at Trojan T105 6V batteries -- would give you a 225Ah system. Trojan batteries are probably the best deep cycle battery made. Big thick heavy plates -- these things weigh a ton. They cost more, but you can expect them to last 10+ years if they are cared for. I run a pair of these in the boat for my house system, and 4 of them at a family cabin on our solar system. The pair on the boat were new in 2007 and run as strong as the day they were purchased. They use very little water and just work!

BTW: If anyone is looking for an excellent guide to charging and maintaining battery systems -- read the RV Battery Charging Puzzle. I will warn you it's VERY long (but skip down to the end for his tips). There is a big section there about battery systems and how to properly charge and maintain them. Also a ton of detail on wiring, solar panels, chargers, inverters and monitors.

I have a couple of Trojan 6v batteries in our 5th Wheel. They are heavy, but I didn't think they were that much more expensive than others - can't recall precisely though. They work great!

Back