Best Hali Reel!

I go for accurate or talicas. Personal favorites are the accurate 500N. Like the narrow spool as people don't fight the reel as much and there's more than enough line capacity. Also a very durable reel.

Anyone ever used 7000c ambassador reels? I have a larger halibut reel but it is so big and bulky and awkward.
They work just fine, I’ve used them but need to be maintained properly as they weren’t designed for saltwater use.

i think all the higher end reels are very good, really comes down to comfort and the best reel !! is the best deal!!

U would be running either 65lb or 80lb Braid then.. 16ii would do the trick.. I run the 2 speed so it can handle the bigger hali and i use the reels for Tuna fising in the fall.. then have been great reels with a little maintence as All reels will require

I use old school Penn 330's and 320's. I remove the level wind mechanism day one and plug the holes with black silicone.
Oldest ones are 20 years old pus. Newest are 10 years. No problems at all. Not a pro but I do fish about 50 days a year.
Many many big halis to the rail.

I'm curious, what is your issue with the level wind mechanism? I've had only light to moderate use with Penn 330s but no problems to date.

I'm curious, what is your issue with the level wind mechanism? I've had only light to moderate use with Penn 330s but no problems to date.
Penn 330s are fairly entry level but if I was comparing it to a single action it would be the gt4000 it runs fairly average when you get it and it runs fairly average ten years later with no maintainance.
The higher end reels to require maintenance and will let you down if it’s not done!
However lots are smoother better drags yada yada yada and they look cooler lol
I’ve run the same 4 penn 12vsx 2 speeds on 8’ shimano techniums for 14 or so years and have had a couple of them break but they have been fixed
I got 4 shimano talicas last year and they were used quite a few years before I got them and they didn’t skip a beat
Biggest thing with a nice reel is find a nice rod that pairs up nicely as far as weight and balance goes every reel will work better on different rods

The level wind is turned by two plastic gears, one on the spool and another idler gear. They can strip if one pulls on snags with the reel etc, they of course will also wear. The big thing with the level wind is to oil the worm gear every few trips (just a couple of drops) and replace the pawl before it wears down to nothing (average guy every few years, guides every year). If the pawl gets really worn or not lubed then you can strip the worm gear. All are easy to replace and issues can be reduced with care and maintenance. Some guys like to remove and avoid those issues. That being said I see 10 year old guide reels with level wind working with annual service.

The level wind usually packs it in by year 2 so I just take them out.
Nothing worse than having them quit while fishing.
Many years on the hook out of Winter Harbor and they are still going strong.
Biggest Hali on a 320 was 196 pounds 17 years ago out of Tofino.
That reel is still working like a champ.

I have Ugly Stik's for rods. Penn 330, Avet HX and Shimano TLD 20 for reels. They all work on different days, except those days when none of them work. LOL:mad:

NOTE: I did not like the TLD 20 at all when I had it first. It was a PITA to pull up dogfish or to check or change bait from 350ft because of the short handle. I replaced the handle with the longer "Power Handle" I think it's called and it made all the difference in the world.

Most decent reels need service on bearings done every few years. I'd avoid 1st gen Avets as the bearings consistently go.

2 speed isn't necessary but nice especially if you're jigging. Penn Fathom 2 speed lever drag are good value and pretty smooth. The new Saltiga's are fully enclosed so might be worth the extra $.

Back