Best B.C. based fishing show

What is your favourite BC fishing based fishing show?

• BC Outdoors Sport Fishing

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Big Coast

Votes: 30 22.1%
  • Mark Pendlington/West Coast Sporting Journal

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • Gary Cooper/Multiple shows

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Reel West Coast: B-Mo

Votes: 54 39.7%
  • Two men and their fishing rods

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Sport Fishing on the Fly

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would you guys rather see reeling being sped up or cut out? I'm down to 43 minutes on our tuna trip and trying to get under 10 minutes. What things do you skip or fast forward through?

It should probably be 5 minutes but we had such an awesome time, it is hard to cut. Don't worry no sponsors, but dam I love boats, engines, rods and reels, so I might mention them and do a couple of close-ups!
Well, maybe you can edit so there's the hit, the mad scramble for the rod. A big run if there are any, and then some reeling....to give it some realism. Then land the fish? Do a few like that, then maybe a one after the other montage/reel of fish just coming over the rail....or maybe same idea with fish hitting the ice? Just one...afte...the other....(if you got that footage)
That might cut down your time, but be fast paced and detailed enough to show the epic nature of the trip?

Would you guys rather see reeling being sped up or cut out? I'm down to 43 minutes on our tuna trip and trying to get under 10 minutes. What things do you skip or fast forward through?

It should probably be 5 minutes but we had such an awesome time, it is hard to cut. Don't worry no sponsors, but dam I love boats, engines, rods and reels, so I might mention them and do a couple of close-ups!
I like to see the strike, the hook set, and any other 'uniqueness' to the retrieval. Usually skip through most of the reeling.

Going back years ago....

Fishing with Shelley and Courtenay......Quite the story behind them! Great ladies, lots of fun!

One of my best friends was a true fisherman. He didn't have his own show but was on many, many shows.....

Peter Morrison, sage rep for years, one of the early guys who started the saltwater fly fishing. He represented Canada in some of the world tournaments.

Sport fishing on the fly. It’s not all about showing products from sponsors so much.

I like Cooper’s shows, too. To be fair, I watch them all and they’re all fun to watch.
Agree about SFOTF

Going back years ago....

Fishing with Shelley and Courtenay......Quite the story behind them! Great ladies, lots of fun!

One of my best friends was a true fisherman. He didn't have his own show but was on many, many shows.....

Peter Morrison, sage rep for years, one of the early guys who started the saltwater fly fishing. He represented Canada in some of the world tournaments.
Peter was a great guy!

Yeah it had that self-deprecating Stizzla style too.
-they came to harrisons cove when i was working there. they brought thier wives, upon meeting them i quipped " oh, its two men and there fishing broads" had a laugh, then actually used it on that episode in the intro.

Last edited:
Big Coast seems to catch more fish and bigger fish. Also does more remote locations. He fishes the way I do. Great videography and the scenic locales get my vote. He seems to be a good guy and he’s the best dressed fisher on the water………next to me.

Big Coast seems to catch more fish and bigger fish. Also does more remote locations. He fishes the way I do. Great videography and the scenic locales get my vote. He seems to be a good guy and he’s the best dressed fisher on the water………next to me.
Their ace in the hole IMO is the camera mounted high off the cabin to see the bites....the best part of fishing!

Tims a great guy, down to earth, just needs to tighten his drag a lil.

Going back years ago....

Peter was a great guy and also a close friend! I think of him often. Good day sir 😁

. I'd include nurses but my wife would roll her eyes and say "Not unless you want a divorce and small boat".

My late mother and sister were both nurses, you never wanted to go fishing with those two.

First of all they would out fish everybody, they always caught the biggest fish, and they had more superstitions, and rules on where they sat in the boat(depending on the wind, time of day, etc.) and you never, "NEVER," touched their fishing rod.

Now we were mostly pickerel fishing so things were different than out west but still they were nurses

My mom had a metal rod and I used to swear it was a Divining Rod, and the fish fought to give their lives to her.

The minimum size for Muskies was I think 32 ". Mom only ever caught one and it was 31 3/4", my father (a true sportsman of the old school) measured it twice and then put it back in the lake. We never spoke of that day again.

Of course, if your wife was the host of "Fishing with the Nurses", the show would be a huge hit ,but ...... your life would be irreparably altered, and not for the good.

Not really impressed by the majority of the programs. Watching shots continuously of people reeling in fish with very little info on "how' isn't very informative.
Considering that most of these programs are watched by fishermen a bit more info would be beneficial-doesn't have
to take long.
A few examples( outside the gear) would incorporate depth you are fishing,speed, where and exact time of year (guides might not like that), how to anchor, etc.
Anyway, it's each to its own but most of the programs don't really do a lot for me from a fisherman's point of view.
In my opinion, the least info is given on Big Coast and most MP.

Last edited:
Well, maybe you can edit so there's the hit, the mad scramble for the rod. A big run if there are any, and then some reeling....to give it some realism. Then land the fish? Do a few like that, then maybe a one after the other montage/reel of fish just coming over the rail....or maybe same idea with fish hitting the ice? Just one...afte...the other....(if you got that footage)
That might cut down your time, but be fast paced and detailed enough to show the epic nature of the trip?
Man that sounds like a good video. We were all rookies so didn’t even know what was going to happen next. We were all shocked to get a fish on as soon as we started trolling, didn’t have a second line out or the camera rolling. I’ll definitely start with a hit and a scramble. I think @zloy might have got the ice loading on camera.
Considering that most of these programs are watched by fishermen a bit more info would be beneficial-doesn't have
to take long.
A few examples( outside the gear) would incorporate depth you are fishing,speed, where and exact time of year (guides might not like that), how to anchor, etc.
Will do, 30 seconds worth! I don’t have 1/100th of a guides knowledge, they are pretty safe.
i would love to do a segment with one these shows on how to anchor.
halibut anchoring or overnight? I have thought about doing both, not sure of halibut bite at night.

Man that sounds like a good video. We were all rookies so didn’t even know what was going to happen next. We were all shocked to get a fish on as soon as we started trolling, didn’t have a second line out or the camera rolling. I’ll definitely start with a hit and a scramble. I think @zloy might have got the ice loading on camera.

Will do, 30 seconds worth! I don’t have 1/100th of a guides knowledge, they are pretty safe.

halibut anchoring or overnight? I have thought about doing both, not sure of halibut bite at night.
I can absolutely guarantee they bite at night

i would love to do a segment with one these shows on how to anchor for halibut.
Ya that needs to be done for sure ... for 2 years in a row I have have folks troll over my anchor line while anchored.. Not sure how they dont know that when a boat has a A-3 sitting 50 ft in front of a boat and they are not moving, nose point to the A-3 does mean someone is anchored.. both time was a shat show.. :(

Back