Barotrauma

John Ingram

Anyone have any suggestions and or tricks to safely release a "SHORE CAUGHT" cod. Can't really use a seaqulizer (sp) from the shoreline
Any and all help welcomed
Thanks

I was unaware that 30' depths could cause barotrauma. Here is some information I came across:
"Venting is a traditional barotrauma mitigation method that is particularly suited for situations where you must handle many fish quickly. Data shows that most fish caught at depths shallower than 125 feet generally heal quickly and resume normal activities within 24–48 hours if they are vented appropriately."

I was unaware that 30' depths could cause barotrauma. Here is some information I came across:
"Venting is a traditional barotrauma mitigation method that is particularly suited for situations where you must handle many fish quickly. Data shows that most fish caught at depths shallower than 125 feet generally heal quickly and resume normal activities within 24–48 hours if they are vented appropriately."
I have been fishing at Ten Mile Point and trying to pick up a May salmon in the deep water there (aprox. 110' deep) at a long cast.
Today hit 2 small rock cod just off of the bottom. Only 1 survived the release, the other on release would drop down about 5-10 feet and then bob back up to the surface. No mater what I tried it didn't live. We need something like a seaquilizer for shore fishing

Could you cast the fish and the release tool?
Can't see that being an accepted release method, they are tough but that might be pushing it a bit far. Could you imagine the look on peoples faces walking by when you tell them you're doing that to save them

Can't see that being an accepted release method, they are tough but that might be pushing it a bit far. Could you imagine the look on peoples faces walking by when you tell them you're doing that to save them
Yeah, but some rock fish seem to be tough as nails, I don't know what depth negative buoyancy is reached for them? For humans it's about 30 feet. I'm assuming where he is fishing it's a steep wall? Not a great solution even without the public looking on, not sure where you would add the weight.

lol no chance you are casting like 8-10 pounds of weight and fish out far enough to do a seaqualizer release. I don’t think a one pound weight would lower the fish down to 100’. Get a row boat or I guess

I think venting would be the best option from shore. I'll try and locate a large syringe that I can carry in my tackle bag
and check out the interweb to see how the venting is done properly.

It’s not endangered it’s closed to sportfishing there is still commercial and First Nations fisheries for yelloweye
Do you have any back up on that. According to a commercial fisher
I know they are closed to all.

Do you have any back up on that. According to a commercial fisher
I know they are closed to all.
It’s a fact. Seen them for sale at some local Supermarkets and restaurants. That is why it’s so frustrating. It they are endangered then they should be considered endangered to everyone and shouldn’t be harvest commercially by FN because they can fetch a good price. Ideally, how about allowing recreational fishers a quota of 10 per year like lings/halibut and chinooks.

Back