Bamfield

T

tortuga

Heading over to Bamfield on the 13th. Was wondering if anyone has a report from this weekend and or suggestions on lures. I'll be using chovies anyway, but what spoons and hootchies should a guy buy at the candy store?

Gracias,

Tortuga

Hootchies: White, Purple Haze

5" & 6" Spoons: Cop Car, Funky Chicken, Watermelon, Mother of Pearl, Green/Chrome, Blue/Chrome

If you're going offshore: 6" & 7" Tomic Plugs: 602, 500, 600PS

Good luck. If you get a chance, post a fishing report when you get back.

Ya, let us know how it goes. I will be out there on the 17th.

Hold up!! If your planning to come to Bamfield. I Was out there all weekend working all the famous holes. Whittlestone, Cape Beal, Edward King, Kirby, Diplock, Swale Rock, Cree Island, Mears Bluff. I saw maybe a dozen fish taken out of about 200 boats. Plain and simple the run is still offshore. Years of experience tell me that at any tide they could show up in big numbers, but it hasn't happened yet.

The fish seem to be holding up offshore. We did venture out to Big Bank and also stopped at 7and 12 mile Banks. Both of these stops produced some Springs, but the majority of the run simply isn't here yet. In lieu of fishing for some trophy springs we stopped and fished for halibut and almost immediately felt the tell tale tap tap tap of a halibut. The fishing was hot and heavy for the three hours it took to limit out. Never a dull moment mooching for halibut out on the banks!!

All in all the guests left very happy after their 3 day trip they ended up with 3 springs over 20 and 8 halibut between 15 and 30 pounds. It was their first time ever fishing for Halibut and I think I may have turned em on to something they like more than fishing for springs.

The Fishing for trophy Springs will continue to improve until the peak of the run arrives. It should still happen in August, but perhaps the last two weeks would be the best bet?, although they could move in any day now. Fishing offshore will continue to be excellent. With millions of Salmon passing by on their way to the various rivers to spawn the fishing on the Banks will be hot from now until the oversized Northern Coho arrive in Early October. These giants tip the scales at 25+ and give you spectacular aerial displays that will leave you breathless. Halibut fishing will also continue to produce many fish in the 15 - 30 pound range, while at any moment a Barn Door might grab a hold and give you the fight of your life.

Back