Baitcaster Fishing Rod Question

Angry Possum

Hi, im new to this forum and to actually owning my first ever Baitcaster reel.
Question: Is there a difference between Conventional Fishing Rods and or Casting Fishing Rods, (are they the same animal) if so what rod would i need for a Baitcaster Reel (pic enclosed). I just Bought a KastKing Rover 70. I'll be using this gear for Saltwater.

s-l1600.jpg

Depending on size and capacity, you can use that reel for trolling salmon or bottom fishing. Many of us in BC like to use single action reels for their great feel for the fish, but if you're trolling deep (200 ft or so), the fast retrieve of an overhead reel is a nice asset. Bottom fishing works well with them too, with instant drag release for dropping gear to the bottom.

Casting with an overhead takes some learning but they work well.

Sorry I just read your question again and realised you were asking about rods not reels. Two types of rod guide setups: spinning and conventional. Spinning rods have larger diameter guides close to the reel to accommodate the line stripping off the reel when you cast. Conventional has smaller guides in close. You can use an overhead reel on a spinning rod, but you can't cast very well with a spinning reel on a conventional rod.

For choice of rod you should match it to size of lure/weight/bait you're planning to use. Usually the maker puts that on the base of the rod, will say something like 3/4 - 2 oz. There will also be a line weight rating such as 15-25 lb. I don't know anything about how to fish for stripers or what size they are, your call on that.

Back