Bait Buster

• Thread starter Thread starter rainbow one
  • Start date Start date
i picked up a pack of those baitrix, thought it might be worth a try.
they were 6 for $9 so we'll wait and see

Well, I for one have used them while chartering (talk to the lads up at Shearwater who ordered hundreds of them, too), am not just learning and it only took two trips to "tune" them.
When I first started using them there was no mention as to leader strength and length nor optimal speed.
Their packaging and web site now includes all these tips learned by clients and pros alike.
It all depends if you are open to new ideas and learning something new.
I can't tell you how many times I've heard from someone that they've given up on plugs or spoons because they can't catch a fish with them.
In answer to the first post, yes, good, yes again and not sure but make sure you use scent in them.

One note re:scent.

If you put scent in</u> them they will start to delaminate, put a drop of scent on</u> the head not inside.

A couple of years ago we discovered the Bait Buster. We ran into a guy at Port McNeil with a sales pitch that convinced us no spring was safe. We dragged them around for a few days following the directions explained to us. Result was no fish not even a bite. I put on a coyote and presto, fish in fact lots of them. My buddy tried it again last year out of Telegraph, again no fish. Put on the coyote again and the fish started biting.

The bait buster looks good in the tackle box with an array of coyotes on top of it.

Going back to Telegraph this week you can bet the bait buster wont get wet.

Skip

Here's what has worked for me.
#40 lb test leader - no flasher - 2.8 to 3.2 MPH (GPS speed over ground) - curve them at speed to twist at about 1 to 1.5 Revolutions per second.
Speed is the biggest thing to get used to. For me it was unnatural to increase speeds that are faster than with plugs, but it works.
I've always used X-10 for scent and have never had any delamination problems.

Darn it Orca now you peaked my interest. From what I remember we had a tighter spiral and more speed (high 3's to low 4's). We tried several scents with no lamination problem. Thanks for the info, if the coyotes are slow, I might have to dust off the old "Bait Buster" and slow up the trolling speed.

Skip

Back