Bait and Lures - What kinds of fish

• Thread starter Thread starter tabocat
  • Start date Start date
T

tabocat

I will be fishing in the Georgia Straight this month, here is the map...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=White Rock&state=BC&country=CA&zoom=5

What kind of bait and lures should I use? My friends tell me to use squid and flashers. I am looking to catch Rockcod and Salmon hopefully. but I don't own a downrigger. What kinds of fish can you get in these waters? I just got a NAVMAN 4350 Depth Sounder and loving it! This forum is very cool btw!

Tabocat

for jigging use buzz dombs for salmon AND bottom fish (cod etc) or you can use any bait fish (herring ,anchovies, etc.) on a hook with a weight a little further up the line for bottom fish

Thanks for the great tips, I'll try them out and let you know the feedback. Is it necessary to own a down rigger? I'm looking at the Scotties 1114 Propack but its pretty pricy. Same price as a GPS unit which I much rather have!

Tabo

trolling with a downrigger is thee most poplular method of fishing, but no you dont need to own one, mooching as well as jigging works, are cheaper than using downriggers, and theres more going on so especially for younger kids they dont get bored as easily

Hi Guys,

I didn't have the time to buy herring or anchovies this morning but I did catch the following today...

1 dog shark
6 bullheads
4 soles
1 crab (yes with a fishing rod)

One problem was i drove my boat into mud bay and my props where stuck in the mud but i managed to pull free by lifting up the props a little. Is this bad for the boat, I notice loss of paint, but thats about the only damage. *thank god*

Tabo

its not great :P but dont sweat it..the force of the moters lifting the boat shouldnt of hurt it, they push hundreds of lbs of thrust to move the boat forward..but the mud in your moter + water intake was probly the worst thing that happened, make sure you flush it out pretty well, nothig nmuch else you can do....if you were cathcing soles it means you were on flat sandy bottom, if you want cod or other bottom fish you need to be on a reef..good start though! did u snag the shark? they usually wont take jigs, if u were using bait fish ude catch them,,they arnt to bad idf u spice them up and cut them into steaks ;) soo ya..good start! but soles + crab = flat bottom=no rock fish. if you did that good on flat bottom imagine whats waiting for you at the reef ;p

That gives me a good sigh of relief, I flush the engine everytime I use the boat and this time was very muddy and dirty indeed. How long are you suppose to flush it anyways? 5 minutes? The dog shark I let them go because I caught them before, their skin is rough like steel and meat tastes very sour. They are also bottom feeders so they are easily caught since I didn't use a floater. I heard that you are suppose to cook the shark meat in milk to make it soft, not very sure... My bait was simply frozen squid which bullheads seem to like very much! Today I saw a commercial net on the floor that was several miles long at boundary bay! I don't get why the commercial fisherman go there when they can go into the ocean where the big fish are? Is it safe to travel on top of those commercial nets? I also noticed alot of seaweed in the straight of georgia... Can they do harm to your props?

nopeseaweed wont hurt your props, however if there is alot around make sure you look back at yuor moter everycouple of minutes to check that water is still peeing out, becasue it can plug up/gte stuckon your water intake

Are you serious? BULLHEADS...LMAO. If you want to catch fish don't jig for them with a lead lure. Use baitfish, not squid.. I have never heard of anyone useing squid for bait before. That being said you will probly be the guy who catches a world record fish. lol

Back