Bad Gas!!

Lipripper

..... not of the flatulence vareity [:eek:)]

Got too much crap in there to burn it off so a question?

What to you do with 300 liters of gas that I wouldnt even run through a lawn mower?

Thats a lot of gas to contain/transport.... or just plain deal with

Addicted.... If you see this... Do you guys use it for anything? excersises?

There is too much water in it for whatever reason. That was the first time the thing moved yesterday. It has a new seperator on it and ran it for not even an hour and the thing was full of H2O and the little bit of gas that came out of the filter was pretty much [xx(]

you can get fuel additive which burns off water? 1 bottle is like 8-10$ which treats ~70L of gas (18 gallons) so it might be worth buying 4 or 5 bottles and a new filter and using it rather than throwing away 300$ :p - the risk though is if the fuel additive will be as effective as its suppose to.

img3937n.jpg

The gas smells alright, but there is coagulated gas in there and had to come in on the kicker last night and spent the day rigging up a 6 gal to feed it cause a bit of that jelly some how made it through the seperator and in line filter and managed to make its way to the primary.. I have a pump so im going to suck the water and junk out of the bottom and throw some methol hydrate in there... There is something else to un-coagulate gas isn't there?

Starbrite enzyme treatment. It works like a hot darn!! I get it from my outboard dealer

Dont add anything to it yet. Water will go directly to the bottom of the tank. There will probably not be much in there. Use the primer bulb to suck fuel/ water out until no more water comes and its just gas. Then reconnect your fuel system and run the boat in the water draining the water every 5 mins or so. Eventually the water will be gone, then add a bit of methyl hydrate to the fuel to get rid of residual.

If not, Ill come there and take all the gas off your hands and run it in my boat.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

if its just water and dirt you can buy a large funnel that has a filter on it that won't allow water through. any marine store should be able to supply one for you. we use them all the time and they work great.

Just dealt with a bad gas problem myself.Had to replace some gas lines and overhaul the carbs.Got it from the Sooke Chevron.
Guessing it was too much ethanol in the mix.(techroline=ethanol?)

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Dont add anything to it yet. Water will go directly to the bottom of the tank. There will probably not be much in there. Use the primer bulb to suck fuel/ water out until no more water comes and its just gas. Then reconnect your fuel system and run the boat in the water draining the water every 5 mins or so. Eventually the water will be gone, then add a bit of methyl hydrate to the fuel to get rid of residual.

If not, Ill come there and take all the gas off your hands and run it in my boat.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Might take you up on that LOL There is a lot of crap in it

quote:Originally posted by tortuga

Where did the gas come from?

Came with the prject ride I just finished. Thing sat for almost 3 years with no stabilizer or anything.

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

3 year old gas.. Ok, maybe I wont run it in my boat[B)]

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!
Edzachary!. It does run it but I am tired of pullin apart the holley

Three years is an awfully long time and if that gasoline contains any oxygenate (which it probably does) of ethanol or methyltertiary; butyl-ether (MTBE); ethyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (ETBE); tertiary-amyl-methyl-ether (TAME); or tertiary-butyl-alcohol (TBA) - you very well and probably do have, Water Phase Separation! NOT GOOD!

If you do have phase separation which I believe you might, there is NO additive made that will resolve that problem! You can take a fuel sample and let it set - you can/will see the separation! Additionally, if you are running a 2 stroke engine I would have a hard time recommending trying to mix any fresh fuel or anything else. There is NO WAY I would recommend anything other than replacing that gasoline, if using it with a 2 stroke engine! That is not worth the risk!
http://www.epa.gov/oms/regs/fuels/rfg/waterphs.pdf

Dont worry bout it Charlie ;)

Judging by the jelly fish Ive pulled out of the tank/seperator. Not to mention the "aluminum rust" flakes(like seriously..they got there how? )

The tank is getting pulled and a new one is going in.....but what to do with 250 (Hope Ive burnt that much) liters of crap?

Edit for Chalie............. 70-ish Gallons of crap :D

Thanks for the conversion! I know this may sound silly, but most Yank boaters, can actually not only convert liters to gallons, we can also convert meters to miles. (note: spelling - we also spell differently - it's that American - British English thing!) :D;)

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RUN OR BURN THAT FUEL IN ANY 2-STOKE ENGINE - IT WILL RUIN IT! And, I wouldn't even thing about trying to burn that crap through "my" 4-stroke!

You just completed the description of “Phase Separation in an ethanol-blended” gasoline. Once an ethanol gasoline blend is "phase separated" it cannot be corrected, the "fat lady sang" – get rid of it! You must have bought a boat from a Yank who didn't/doesn’t have a clue or know much about ethanol gasoline?

“Phase Separation” should really be called phase separation “due to water”, as water in the gasoline is the only way it can happen (how it got there in three years, is probably from condensation, but most of the time it happens with water getting directly in the fuel). While you finding water phase separation is and can be a significant problem in ethanol-blended gasoline fuels, contamination by small amounts of water does not lead to phase separation in the fuel. The fraction of water required to induce phase separation is higher in ethanol. However, now that it has happened that water creating the separation is also creating the corrosion of the aluminum tank (your aluminum flakes) – You need to check all metal that has come into contact with that fuel (e.g. fuel gage, pickup tube, etc)!

NOW THAT YOU RAN IT… you might want to go ahead check ALL your rubber, lines, gaskets, and filters – mostly condition (inside) and insure the aren’t clogged – that will clog anything! FYI… if the fuel system is pre-1985, save yourself a lot of trouble and go ahead and replace anything and everything to do with it, as that system (and maybe even engine) was not designed for any ethanol use; that has to do with the older use of exposed magnesium and aluminum metals and natural rubber and cork gaskets, which are susceptible to ethanol (alcohol), induced damage and that does very.

Ethanol is not a bad thing, but DO NOT MIX with any (MTBE) or other oxygenated gasoline – you “really” won’t like the results! And another FYI, MTBE – is worse for you and the environment, you end up with that **** in your drinking water!

If you think it can be treated like regular non-oxygenated gasoline, you will soon find yourself with a tank full of some bad looking ****; and welcome to the land/world of dealing with: corrosion of aluminum tanks (your flakes), build-up of carbon deposits (gunk), and fuel destabilization.

Just for TheBigGuy: it was probably more coincidental that a good problem free TEN YEAR OLD motor developed fuel leaks shortly after switching to ethanol fuels. Not saying ethanol won't help speed up the process of a weak gasket from starting to leak - as ethanol is "alcohol", which is an excellent cleaner! :)

P.S. I would try donating it to DFO over the Parliament building - they wouldn't even realize it was polluted!

Back