April blackmouth fishing in barkley

B

battaglino

This group has alway been so helpful with fishing tips and places to stay in VI. I wanted to go up to Barkley in April and do some blackmouth fishing. I did this fishery 20 years ago but maybe things have change we use to fish out in the Rainey bay area. I was wondering if anyone has some information on places to stay that time of year. I don't think we want to run out to Bamfield. Any help would be greatly appreicated.

We used to fish back in the late eighties/early ninetys, when I lived in Bambfield, off of Swale Rock, top of Edward King, Effingham and even Cree as we followed the herring out to deeper water. We used to have lots of luck off of those places, better than back in the inlet. Obviously, launched from Bambfield.

Now days, friends of mine say that things have not changed much, still follow the herring out to deeper water and you will find the fish.

For where you want to go, try Haggerts Cove or Poets.

Thanks I do remember we fishing really deep water. I have never stayed at poet nook. Do they have cabins and are they open in April? The boat we are going on is my freind and he does not want to trailer it out so we will run.

They have a bunkhouse with 8 rooms which can hold maximum four to a room and a common kitchen area with sink and fridge and micro wave etc.
The rest is camping slots , good launch and a nice sheltered anchorage you are central to all the good spots , a bit of a run to Effingham from there.

Regards

AL

better make sure the facilitys even open that time of year. Might be best to get a hotel room in banfield. Cheap that time of year too, close to good fishing. I would run through robbers and fish diplock, maybe even pill. Vernon bay, swale rock and my favorite austin isl. are a cant miss. Im gettin all fired up thinkin about it! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thanks for the info Alley I will give them a call and see if they are open. You might be right IFL I can't wait to get back out there the winters are way to long up here. Sometime I wonder why I left SoCal. Thanks agian to all for the info.

Iron Nog, Are you still living in the Alberni area? If so we could use a guide for blackmouth fishing.

quote:Originally posted by alley cat

Check out the Hotel in Bamfield as rumours tell me its closed ?

AL

Wouldn't surprise me if it closed down. Sure looked to be in brutal shape when I walked by it last year.

Hotel in Bamfield was closed this fall, caught us by surprise. Apparently the Health Dept shut them down. Also a bugger to get a meal in that town after 7pm. There are lodges like Mills Landing and I'm sure some B&Bs. The Nook is probably the best for economy and access to the good spots. It's an easy 50 min to 1hr run from Port and moorage is great. If you have your own camping rig another option is Toquart. They now have a nice marina and launch. No accomodation yet, but its only a matter of time.

Back