Anchovy/Herring Rigs

• Thread starter Thread starter closecall
  • Start date Start date
C

closecall

Down here in Washington we have to use single barbless hooks for salmon. My question-how would you set up your hooks on a rhys davis head? Would you use a slip leader or solid tie? Set the trail hook in the bait or let it ride free? Or could you use just a single hook? Thanks in advance for your knowledge!
Closecall

I used a stinger single that was just trailing and then set the other in the ushual back area. It didnt work very well with lots of missed hits. Then tried hooking it into the lower end with better resaults but still not great.

closecall,

I would use two single (octopus) hooks. Snell them together about 1.5-2 inches a part. Bury the upper hook shank in the side of the bait just like a cut plug and let the trailing hook hang level with the tail.

That's what I'd do. But I prefer to use a treble for the upper hook.

Highliner

I use two octopus singles 4/0 up front and a 3/0 for the trailer, when I tie it up I make sure the hooks are pointed in oposite directions so that when the first hook is set in the anchovy the trailer is facing away from the chove I end up with alot of hook ups on the trailer so I think that might be a good thing to do,

quote:Originally posted by Highliner

Killer,

How do you use two hooks up front? One on either side of the bait?

I'm pretty sure he means that he uses two octopus singles, a 4/0 up front and a 3/0 for the trailer.

like Gerry says and the trailer i don't set in the bait I let it ride free I think it gives it a better roll and it's more likely to hook something

Back