Anchoring in Bamfield, Ucluelet

All of my fishing in Barkley Sound has been done while camping onshore. This year we're taking the big boat and will be anchoring. Is there anchorage space in Bamfield and/or Ucluelet harbours? If not, I suppose we can go find anchorage in the Broken group, but it would be nice to be close to town at least a couple of nights.

There's some free mooring bouys in Ucluelet Harbor. You can stay at the goverment dock on the 52nd street dock. The 52 dock is exposed to boat wash and crude. The goverment dock is pretty nice. I supose you anchor toward the head of the harbor but, you'll be exposed to a lot of wind.

HiYa chachi,

I don't think there's any anchoring places in Bamfield harbour. The Gov Dock should work, or perhaps one of the Lodges would consider selling moorage? Always one of the Islands across from there to hide behind. I often anchor in Rainy Bay when down there.

Ucluelet has a fair amount of area you can drop the pick on. One of my fav's in the bay to your immediate left upon enterring the channel from outside.

What's the name on your rig? Give you a shout if I see you...

Cheers,
Nog

It's a Tollycraft 34' flybridge called the "Sea-era". She's sort of a cream color with blue graphics and canvas.

I've been emailing around and it sounds like moorage is pretty tight for the end of August. Which is fine, because the boat is well equipped for several nights at anchor. It would just be nice to have a slip a couple of nights to accomodate trips to the pub, charging the batteries, filling the water tanks, etc.

The last few years we've spent most of our time on the Bamfield side of the Sound (cruising up daily in a 17' Whaler from China Creek).

Having done that, I'm keen to spend some time on the Ucluelet side. I'm glad to hear that there are anchoring options there.

Thanks for the help!

Its an old thread, but on topic for me...

Myself and 2 others are heading out for 5 or 6 days in the beginning of April. We plan to spend a night or two in Bamfield harbor area, but would like to spend a few nights out in some secluded sheltered waters.

We don't mind heading north or south, in and around the Sound BUT it is a fishing trip, so a shorter trip to the fishing grounds is preferred. Any tips on sheltered bays or inlets would be greatly appreciated.

25' Bayliner with 200' of anchor rope...so would like to hook up in 30-60feet of water (max) for the night. Launching from Port Alberni Sat Mar31 returning Tue Apr3 or Wed4.

If anyone is planning to be on the water at this time and is in the area, let me know. Be cool to meet some of you folks should you be in the area.

-Nick FB

Oh also, can someone fill me in on the Broken Island Group. My understanding was it is restricted to un-powered crafts only? I've heard otherwise though, a definitive answer would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
25' Bayliner with 200' of anchor rope...so would like to hook up in 30-60feet of water (max) for the night.

Bring along your chart when you wander through Port. I'll mark down a decent handful of anchoring spots for you.

Oh also, can someone fill me in on the Broken Island Group. My understanding was it is restricted to un-powered crafts only?

First I've ever heard of that. No restrictions on powered boats, just fishing. I've run through there many many times.

Cheers,
Nog

Bring along your chart when you wander through Port. I'll mark down a decent handful of anchoring spots for you.

First I've ever heard of that. No restrictions on powered boats, just fishing. I've run through there many many times.

Cheers,
Nog

Cool I will note a few of those spots next weekend from ya...

Can't remember where I heard the restriction on the broken islands group, but it had to do with being a protected sanctuary. Maybe I was misled or misheard (wouldn't be the first, or last haha). Would like to go for a camp and snorkel with my kayaks if it was legal to do!

anyone know??

Last year there was a really nice Grand Banks anchored in the bay that the Sea Beam lodge is in I don't know the name of the bay but it right in Bamfeild.

we've dropped the pick for the night a couple times in the Broken Islands. There's a great spot a stone's throw from Swale Rock. It's so still and quiet in there at night it's a little spooky.

Cool I will note a few of those spots next weekend from ya...

Can't remember where I heard the restriction on the broken islands group, but it had to do with being a protected sanctuary. Maybe I was misled or misheard (wouldn't be the first, or last haha). Would like to go for a camp and snorkel with my kayaks if it was legal to do!

anyone know??

Finished business, you going out for the derby next weekend?

port desire. throw the pick. basically grappler....

Finished business, you going out for the derby next weekend?

Yes sir we are! Just making a Fri eve to Sun eve trip but we will be there, camping at the sites by the dock.

x 2 stosh, also decent anchoring there as it is fairly protected. Lots of boats anchoring up there, one more ain't going to hurt anything. Port Alberni Yacht Club is another good place to tie up (Robbers Passage). There is a free float (square shaped dock) you can tie up to in San Mateo Bay - can tie up several boats to it. It is a public use dock.

awesome info guys! more docks than days.....can't wait!!!

Couple spots we use are: Effigham Bay, its on the Uke side of Effingham Island, really protected and well used; Robbers Pass, tie up at the Yacht Club floats, reasonable moorage; passage just on the Toquart side of Swale Rock, nip in there and take the first right channel, very quiet and sheltered. Course none have shore power or a pub, but you'll never have a quieter nights sleep.

Cheers from the crew of Stress Medicine

does any body have link or map for the designated camping spots ? i also read on some kayak blog about power boats being illegal ? looking for a spot to anchor with bungee system and camp on beach-- also if theres any cabins in the sound to rent for a couple of serious fishermen ?

Last edited by a moderator:
does any body have link or map for the designated camping spots ? i also read on some kayak blog about power boats being illegal ? looking for a spot to anchor with bungee system and camp on beach-- also if theres any cabins in the sound to rent for a couple of serious fishermen ?

I've got nothing against kayaks (or kayakers), but if you think about it, it's not all that surprising to have kayakers claim 'their' areas are off-limit to powerboaters :D

Check with Parks Canada http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/pacificrim/activ.aspx for the facts.

F D

Back