Anchor

Merrittboy

My son surprised me with a folding grapnel anchor for fatherrs day, seems heavy enough,6 kgs 12lbs., Surplus Herbies. Will it do for now for my 19 footer in Renfrew or should I return it and get something else? I know which are prefferred but will it do the job for a year or two? What do I do for chain, I gather that u use chain because rope will wear to much on bottom etc.?

IF it is one of the type that unfolds into 4 prongs, take it back, get a plow, claw, or even Danforth. For sake of fishing,the weight of the chain keeps your boat pulling parrallel to the bottom where the holding power is strongest, as opposed to straight up where it is weakest. The bigger the chain, the more holding power. A 10Lb anchor with 50 ft of chain will hold better then a 50 pounder without. YOu can get a 7.5KG Claw anchor for about 50 bux, and 40 or 50 ft of 3/16 chain for about the same.

I'm with LC return that one and get a Bruce, or keep it as an easily stowable backup anchor. Given your boat size even 15-20 feet of chain before converting to rope would be better than nothing. I just don't have the space on my boat to store a tonne of chain so my rode is the length of my boat then I convert to rope.

ok, sold my sons gift to a friend. Picked up a used Danforth off the net with 25 feet of chain. What thickness of rope do I need to pick up and how much is best. Thanks guys, see I do listen to advice.

Hey LC - I'm not a big fan of poly for anchor line. First because it floats and has a nasty habit of ending up in the prop and second if it does end up in your prop it has a nasty habbit of melting into the prop shaft... I make a lot of money diving on boats that have melted poly into their shaft during the summer by backing over their tender lines. A braided nylon I can have cleaned off in seconds, poly can take a lot of time and a lot of cutting and scraping with a sharp knife...

Hey LC - I'm not a big fan of poly for anchor line. First because it floats and has a nasty habit of ending up in the prop and second if it does end up in your prop it has a nasty habbit of melting into the prop shaft... I make a lot of money diving on boats that have melted poly into their shaft during the summer by backing over their tender lines. A braided nylon I can have cleaned off in seconds, poly can take a lot of time and a lot of cutting and scraping with a sharp knife...

True, poly does make a mess if you get it in the prop, however it's stretch and low price are a plus. And it won't sink the boat when you make a mistake in a fast current. Yes, it's crap, but, in just my opinion, for a beginner who will probably go through a few anchor setups, it is inexpensive, and not as likeley to sink a boat. Now if we can just get people to quit using 100ft of poly on crab trabs in our harbour at 40 ft, we will be in a better world!

OK, MORE GOOD IDEAS! Not a hundred feet on crab pots. Seems kind of obvious! Thanks guys. Keep debating! Us greenhorns love this! That is why I ask all the questions! Like I tell my students there are very few dumb questions!;)

the only dumb question is the one that was not asked

we are all learning till we die

I learned stuff on this very thread that is very usefull
thanks Guys!

I use poly for my crab traps mainly because of price but keeping the line submerged is simple. I lower the trap til it hits bottom and then tie-wrap a 16 oz slip weight to the rope and then lower the rest of the rope and drop the bouy over. No floating line and you can use a few extra feet of rope so that if the trap slips into deeper water or you are retrieving at high tide, your bouy is still on the surface.

Back