Amundon Theron Reels Anybody else having Issues?

Abels creep too..... :) I have first hand experience with that one.

The devil you know.... (Islanders/Abels) is sometimes better than the other.

I was at a car show this past weekend. 2 similar cars on display. 1 had reproduction parts on it, asking $60,000. Other car, restored by a purist with New Old Stock Original Parts. asking price $65000.... $10,000 in extra restoration parts and 100% authentic. OEM Quality control.

There's a reason the BEST costs more!

Not to sure about what the smily face meant.

No creep on my 4 Abels, which I've had a few seasons and other than a fresh-water rinse every few outings not a lot of other maintenance.
HOWEVER, have replaced a spring inside a couple of times on most of them, spring just seems to make them click and when it wears it doesn't, although doesn't seem to impact anything else.

Not to sure about what the smily face meant.

No creep on my 4 Abels, which I've had a few seasons and other than a fresh-water rinse every few outings not a lot of other maintenance.
HOWEVER, have replaced a spring inside a couple of times on most of them, spring just seems to make them click and when it wears it doesn't, although doesn't seem to impact anything else.

The smiley face is that despite what ANY manufacturer claims ---no reel is perfect and even the "better mousetrap" Abel DOES creep. The reels on that boat were into their 4th year and creep was evident. That boat fishes more than 150 days per year...Trolled depths were to 120 feet trolling up to 3 knots SOG and there was a fair amount of pressure on the rods. I believe the same reels are still in use on that boat today and they likely have been reworked. Personally, the price difference now with the exchange doesn't justify the extra cost....JMO though.

Marty, I wouldn't give up just yet if I were you . John/Wildthing may have a point about trading up that second reel with pnt that you have, that older one that has disapointed you. It may be worth a try because while I would tend to understand that amundson TMX 5 may not be up to the equivillent years of abuse that an Abel may endure, (or even a creepy Islander) ...... for value for your $, I beleive a TMX5 to be good, especially when you are not putting huge hrs on a reel anywhere near like 150 days/year. Remember the price is virtually 1/2 of an MR3 and almost a 1/3rd an Abel. Aheny has mentioned above, even with many hrs use, he has had good experiences.....and thats with fishing guests of all types that can introduce more abuse to the reels. Others that have commented on the TMX5 on other threads have had many positive thngs to say including me. My point is your breakdown ( seizing and snapped screw seems to be an exception rather than the norm. The reels are not perfect just as any reel is not but they are also not $1,000. As Wildthing has mentioned, possibly the drag knob retaining screw that sheared off was tightened by someone too much ?
As FM mentioned .....that "a regular 15-20 year old Shimano 4000 would have fared better"......while I like the older 4000, lets not forget about the problem of their reel spools. Shimano recognized the problem material and offered replacement spools with a "new" material mix but as I recall even some of those "new" exploded ( and no, having backing, loading wet, lesser load.....all the tricks didn't help much)

TIp: I just use a coin to tighten the drag knob screw - this cuts torque so prevents over tightening. TM5 maintenance is such a breeze - 5 min once or twice a year to grease and light spray of fresh water after use.

IMG_1739.JPG

Last edited:
now thats a blown spool....lol

So I figured I should update you guy's on my experience with these reels. I brought both my therons back to PNT, and before I start I want to thank the guys at PNT for all there help its been a great experience dealing with you guy's

My first reel had major creep issues, the internals where replaced and I was told that there was too much salt inside which caused the failure. Well considering the advertise sealed drags... I am not sure how salt got into the drag and how it then damaged the drag.

The second reel had seized drag nob. you could still spin the reel but you couldn't adjust the drag. I am happy to report that Amundson stood behind there product and replaced the reel with a brand new TMX5. However I would still have liked to know why the reel fail.

I just returned from two weeks up on the north island, and I can report I am very happy with the performance of the new TMX5 it works well and handled the big fish like a champ. The older Theron however was a complete and total let down. First fish on the drag nob seized, a few seconds later there was a ping sound and head of the center screw came flying off. Since I was told that the last time was the last time they where going to fix this reel, I guess I now have a 400 dollar wall hanger.

For me my experience with these reels has been disappointing, Amundson has been good at fixing the reels but I expect more from a 400 dollar reel, and will likely be selling my TMX5 and moving on to another brand.

Get a trophy tyee. Best value and not a P.O.S.

Get a trophy tyee. Best value and not a P.O.S.

X2 - especially when you get them for $200 at the Harbour Chandler pirate day Sale. I have two of the QR'so and a tyee. No problems and no creep. The tyee i don't like as much because it doesn't have the paddle handles but that can be changed

Back