Amundon Theron Reels Anybody else having Issues?

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey Guy's

Since my Scotty topic provided some good information I wondering if any of you are having issues with there Theron Reels?

I have had two for about a year now, and to be honest my disappointment is growing with these reels. At first I really liked them and they where flawless last season. This season started with one of my reals being completely seized. I brought it into PNT and they fixed it said I left the drag too tight over the winter. However last weekend both reels failed me. One is back to being completely seize to the point where the drag nob will not move. The other ones drag system has completely failed, doesn't matter how tight you turn the nob it produces absolutely no drag resistance.

I will bring them back in for service, and hopefully the can be fixed. Anybody else have any issues with there reels or is just me?

Capt

I run amundson tmx5 and theron, I run them hard and put them away wet, and I've had nothing but great experiences with them, although I was careful to make sure mine are all the newer style of disc brakes.
My four have between 20 and 160 hard Day's off during on them with very minimal maintenance. I just make sure they have of touch of grease where it's needed

Similar to aheny my 2 are TMX5 Theron and no issues other than a handle top cap popped off . Over 2 years of use in all seasons, all conditions. Very little maintenance needed as compared to the Islanders. Tmx 5's have carbon fibre drag and apparently you don't need to worry about backing off drag when not in use, but I still do that. Fresh water rinse after use. Speak to PNT (Derby ) or Wildthing on this forum. Wildthing is Amun pro-staff . Or just contact Amundson directly - in Delta.

http://www.amundson.ca/contact

CUSTOMER
SERVICE

P: 604-525-6860 (En)
604-525-6870 (Fr)
Fax: 604-525-1877
Toll Free: 1877-437-1805

e-mail: info@amundson.ca

here is my history with Amundson tmx-4's and tmx-5's
had and used 6 tmx-4's only issue was they would stay tight at first but then would run smooth
had a friends who's reel handle came loose once ......
moved onto Tmx-5's and own 10 still to date
only issue i have had is the clicker screw has come undone which is cured by a dap of lok-tite on the thread .
other than that reels have been good .....

how much are you flushing your reels
as even heard of a guy putting his in hot water and wondering why they where sounding dry afterwards???
boiled every bit of grease out of them....

if your getting salt spray all over them. or dunking in salt water that is going to kill any reel sooner or later.
personally think to many people flush there reels to much which ever brand
and then bearings go dry and corrosion sets in .....

Tmx-5's have a sealed carbon disc drag system so unsure how you are stating its seizing up.
have you spoken with your retailer or Amundson?

so to help us out
please post a pic of the reels opened up...
not after they have been serviced so we can see whats going on
if the grease is gone then maybe to much flushing
or you have taken the carbon disc drag apart then maybe in the reassembly .
something not in the right order?
hence your able to lock it up and over tighten the drag
is the rubber ' O' ring in place behind the drag knob?
has some one else tried to service them?
more info would help us out ....

I will bring the reels back to PNT on Saturday morning and see what they say, I generally just give the reels a quick spray with fresh cold water after each trip out. I don't want to open them myself I think last time the Guys at PNT had somebody from Amundson open it up and they where able to fix what ever was wrong last time. I will report back what they find, hopefully its a quick fix, as where on our way to winter harbour in 2 weeks.

So I figured I should update you guy's on my experience with these reels. I brought both my therons back to PNT, and before I start I want to thank the guys at PNT for all there help its been a great experience dealing with you guy's

My first reel had major creep issues, the internals where replaced and I was told that there was too much salt inside which caused the failure. Well considering the advertise sealed drags... I am not sure how salt got into the drag and how it then damaged the drag.

The second reel had seized drag nob. you could still spin the reel but you couldn't adjust the drag. I am happy to report that Amundson stood behind there product and replaced the reel with a brand new TMX5. However I would still have liked to know why the reel fail.

I just returned from two weeks up on the north island, and I can report I am very happy with the performance of the new TMX5 it works well and handled the big fish like a champ. The older Theron however was a complete and total let down. First fish on the drag nob seized, a few seconds later there was a ping sound and head of the center screw came flying off. Since I was told that the last time was the last time they where going to fix this reel, I guess I now have a 400 dollar wall hanger.

For me my experience with these reels has been disappointing, Amundson has been good at fixing the reels but I expect more from a 400 dollar reel, and will likely be selling my TMX5 and moving on to another brand.

center screw only needs to be nipped down as it stops the drag knob from coming off so there was really no reason to tighten it down to the point of it where it sheared off .....
sounds like clearance issues and the repair failed.

if the issue was with older generation reel why not ask PNT to exchange it for a new one as they did with the other.?
as you state your happy with the replacement TMX5, so why jump ship or go spend twice as much on a proven MR3
which has creep issues or go with a TR3 and $1000 later .

or where back to the ford dodge GMC ram debate ....lol
i'll correct that fords never work.... and i own a f350 7.3

So I figured I should update you guy's on my experience with these reels. I brought both my therons back to PNT, and before I start I want to thank the guys at PNT for all there help its been a great experience dealing with you guy's

My first reel had major creep issues, the internals where replaced and I was told that there was too much salt inside which caused the failure. Well considering the advertise sealed drags... I am not sure how salt got into the drag and how it then damaged the drag.

The second reel had seized drag nob. you could still spin the reel but you couldn't adjust the drag. I am happy to report that Amundson stood behind there product and replaced the reel with a brand new TMX5. However I would still have liked to know why the reel fail.

I just returned from two weeks up on the north island, and I can report I am very happy with the performance of the new TMX5 it works well and handled the big fish like a champ. The older Theron however was a complete and total let down. First fish on the drag nob seized, a few seconds later there was a ping sound and head of the center screw came flying off. Since I was told that the last time was the last time they where going to fix this reel, I guess I now have a 400 dollar wall hanger.

For me my experience with these reels has been disappointing, Amundson has been good at fixing the reels but I expect more from a 400 dollar reel, and will likely be selling my TMX5 and moving on to another brand.
sell em and bite the bullet and get an abel forget the mr3 or tr3 ..... mr3 creeps and tr3 is already having issues.... just my 2cents

What you are experiencing Marty is why Islanders and Abels Cost what they cost!

Depending on the fishing you do, creep may or may not be an issue you experience. My personal MR3's do not creep.

I know a charter firm who had some Amundsons and they all turned into a royal pain in the arse. You should be able to fish without the reel failing....and when you go on a trip as you did...it really sucks when your investment turns into a headache. In this case, a regular 15-20 year old Shimano 4000 would have fared better.

I have a coworker that picked up two of those reels. Both of them have now been sent back for repair or replacement. With very little use I will add. I'm not bashing Amundsen but in the small group of guys I know personally that have used Amundsen stuff there have been 4 broken rods and the 2 reels sent back. Also like the other guys said you can make the drags on islanders work quite nice. I had my gear down to 250 feet the other day without a single creep. I will say that Amundsen warrantied everything but that won't help you when you are 30 miles off ukee and your reel spins apart on a big spring.

sell em and bite the bullet and get an abel forget the mr3 or tr3 ..... mr3 creeps and tr3 is already having issues.... just my 2cents

Abels creep too..... :) I have first hand experience with that one.

The devil you know.... (Islanders/Abels) is sometimes better than the other.

I was at a car show this past weekend. 2 similar cars on display. 1 had reproduction parts on it, asking $60,000. Other car, restored by a purist with New Old Stock Original Parts. asking price $65000.... $10,000 in extra restoration parts and 100% authentic. OEM Quality control.

There's a reason the BEST costs more!

Abels creep too..... :) I have first hand experience with that one.

The devil you know.... (Islanders/Abels) is sometimes better than the other.

I was at a car show this past weekend. 2 similar cars on display. 1 had reproduction parts on it, asking $60,000. Other car, restored by a purist with New Old Stock Original Parts. asking price $65000.... $10,000 in extra restoration parts and 100% authentic. OEM Quality control.

There's a reason the BEST costs more!
My 4 don't creep I just rinse after each use end of season pull apart clean and relube

Ultimately Captain Party Marty, it sucks that your reels negatively affected your fishing experience and satisfaction.

Let us know where your next expedition lands you!

Back