Aluminum trailers v. Galvanized steel, what is better?

Drewski Canuck

Saw a boat sitting on an all aluminum trailer, for sale. Little concerned as i have only seen aluminum trailers in Florida, and not many. I would rather have a swing away tongue on a galvanized trailer, at least that is what i am comfortable with. Anyone with any experience in this area?

Drewski

I had one of those Florida made aluminum trailers and very quickly found out they are not up to Canadian manufacturing standards. I sold it and replaced it with a Road Runner. Just my view, they are not very well built. Lots of people will say otherwise, because, they own one. You cannot beat a galvanized trailer in our environment.

It's all (uminum) good...

Mines aluminum its awesome old All speed that used to be built up in Parks ville. Very well built trailer.No problems and I travel on some rough roads sometimes. Keep in mind my boat is lighter 16.5 DE..... Honestly only issues I ever had is with everything else axles/bearings. And I would rather not bore you with the engineering related stuff so i wont comment......... Personally stress cracks can form in either material....High Five

X2

OMG - stress cracks??? :eek: Stay out of planes and aluminum boats??? :eek: Aluminum fuel tanks??? :eek: Take those aluminum commercial trailers off the road??? Get those damned aluminum alloy wheels off???
An aluminum or galvanized trailer debate is similar to the bunks or rollers discussion - both will work just fine. Personal preference prevails.

Aluminum trailers can be every bit as good as galvanized steel (You get what you pay for. Did you get that "super deal" on a Nextrail or Magic Tilt- then complained of your trouble with "Florida trailers"? You could have bought a Loadmaster.), although they are usually more expensive to purchase. Minimal corrosion (galvanized=zinc anodic corrosion in salt-water), a lighter tow so less fuel, and a lighter tow package - maybe your 1/2 ton will now do the job. Buy a well-built trailer from Florida or Washington State or even Canada. U.S. manufacturers must comply and be registered with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Many manufacturer's offer both galvanized and aluminum (eg. EZ-Loader). The manufacturer has done the engineering required to prove it's roadworthy, so you're all good. Trailers built in or imported into Canada must comply with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards to get a V.I.N.

Trailer trouble's start when they are poorly maintained and / or overloaded. Manufacturers will often supply a boat/trailer package with the trailer straining at capacity. Now add a kicker, fuel, water, beer... - you get the idea. I have a 7000# GVWR rated tandem trailer (aluminum) rolling at about 5500 pounds. With full tanks it's up to 6000#. I'd be legal with a 6000# trailer but not too smart - especially on that road to Poett Nook. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! I simply have not seen many and I had to wonder about this. I am very worried about drilling holes into it to mount a spare tire carrier, etc. I wouldn't think twice about doing that with a 3 inch galvanized tube frame trailer. I will have a closer look and see if it has any capacity plate that could help. I understand that 747's have a 40,000 take off / landing cycle and will last 30 years, and are aluminum. The issue is the TYPE of aluminum and the thickness. That is the wild card.

Drewski

We backshsore concrete structures every day with aluminum beams with less thickness than my alumnium trailer. Not too worried about it. You also could bore one hell of a hole and not lose any sleep either. $hitty fabricating is $hitty fabricating weather it it galvy or aluminum.

Thanks guys! I simply have not seen many and I had to wonder about this. I am very worried about drilling holes ??? Why? into it to mount a spare tire carrier, etc. The issue is the TYPE of aluminum and the thickness. That is the wild card. Drewski

Galvanized is cheaper so you will not see as many aluminum trailers. Not too much a wild a card - manufacturered trailers are engineered to meet the capacity limits and Transport Canada requirements. The P.Eng. of record has the concern of type and thickness; manufacturers are responsible for fabrication and meeting spec. Shepnoir makes an excellent point with engineered Alumabeam and shoring systems - it takes a heck of a beating for years and still holds up tons of concrete - if you follow the design and use good workmanship. If you are concerned about aluminum, definitely stay away from suspended slab pours. ;)

You don't need to drill holes for much anyway - use a U-bolt for your spare. I'd be doubly cautious about drilling galvanized steel and breaking the zinc coating, alllowing rust to start.

Back