A Total Bust

Seems a lot of bad news on here, quite a bit this summer and I’m sure it has been tough for some. If you went by what a good majority of contributors on here have stated it’s been very tough. You go on IG and you get a different perspective on it. Lots of boys still pulling good numbers in even in places that according to here are now dead. Yes most have said it’s been a little tougher year but certainly not the doom and gloom we have seen on this forum. I think a good number of top rods have left these sites do to the negative feed back that seems to be the norm on here the last few years. Too bad, I hope the mods would get on it but it may be too late to reverse.

I’ve had a great year fishing and exploring new waters

Caught way more than I thought I would

Our friends, neighbors as well as ourselves have been and will continue to eat the finest food you can

Same as Aces. Fished totally new areas and did just as well if not better. Barkley Sound was a blast...

The non-retention really impacted where you could go early season. If you weren't willing to travel you missed out.

Shore fishing is tough one. I don't know if you have every tried Balmacarra Beach in August. It is located in Gordon Head. Used to be good there.... Flood tide, and lots of guys fly fish there. Well used too...

Lots of boys still pulling good numbers in even in places that according to here are now dead. Yes most have said it’s been a little tougher year but certainly not the doom and gloom we have seen on this forum.

Of course there are some area's that are still producing Chinook, but the OP is discussing
Victoria. I know a lot of seasoned fishermen who have spent countless hours with little results.
Chinook fishing from Sidney to Victoria has been unusually slow in August/September.

We had a great year for Chinooks but the timing of runs seemed to be messed up.
Maybe the extremely wet spring moved a lot of the fish thru earlier than usual.
We found that the North coast area (Bella Bella to Rivers) was pretty dead in August compared to usual.

Of course there are some area's that are still producing Chinook, but the OP is discussing
Victoria. I know a lot of seasoned fishermen who have spent countless hours with little results.
Chinook fishing from Sidney to Victoria has been unusually slow in August/September.

They could be bypassing area and on the move. Was it slow on breakwater and Macaulay areas? Also that Esquimalt net pen fish are not there anymore, so your not getting those fish. That is 2 bad.

captain obvious statement here but salmon returns vary. Last year everywhere i fished it was lights out. Nootka was bonkers. CR was unreal. This year it’s been a grind. i remember back in 2008 it was so bad i considered selling my boat. just sit back and enjoy the scenery when it’s slow.
People pay big dollars to travel to our beautiful area province just to stand beside and take pictures of the ocean.

I’ve had a great year fishing and exploring new waters

Caught way more than I thought I would

Our friends, neighbors as well as ourselves have been and will continue to eat the finest food you can

nice post, consoling are ya,, braggers suck.

nice post, consoling are ya,, braggers suck.

Didn’t realize this was a psychiatrist couch.

At least I didn’t post anything like this

i fished solo for derby weekend (no ticket), looking for my personal goal of landing a solo tyee, last year was a tryee at 29.5 lbs..
ended up with four in the 25lb range over sat sunday. fished beale and dragged the sand in tapaltos. a friend was hitting fish the day before with a 602, so i figured run medium herring and large anchovies.. the sunday was a blast, played 9 , lost 3, released 4 in the low twenties and boxed 2 that where 25 each.. betsy gold flasher, gold head. purple gold flasher with a chartruse herring

Didn’t realize this was a psychiatrist couch.

At least I didn’t post anything like this

i fished solo for derby weekend (no ticket), looking for my personal goal of landing a solo tyee, last year was a tryee at 29.5 lbs..
ended up with four in the 25lb range over sat sunday. fished beale and dragged the sand in tapaltos. a friend was hitting fish the day before with a 602, so i figured run medium herring and large anchovies.. the sunday was a blast, played 9 , lost 3, released 4 in the low twenties and boxed 2 that where 25 each.. betsy gold flasher, gold head. purple gold flasher with a chartruse herring

ya, that was a fishing report. maybe try that instead. with gear used and where.

Yes John it was a tough year for us shore fishers but I don’t see a reason to be so melodramatic. It’s fishing. There are good days and bad days. Good seasons and bad seasons. If you are so desperate for a salmon than hire a charter or buy a small tinny. I also had no salmon bites this summer on the ocean, but instead of whining about it I’m just gonna keep fishing.

John, If you all willing to travel up to Cambel River next summer I would be happy to take you out for a day. We will get you some fish for the freezer. And thats an honest offer

Shore fishing is tough one. I don't know if you have every tried Balmacarra Beach in August. It is located in Gordon Head. Used to be good there.... Flood tide, and lots of guys fly fish there. Well used too...
I have tried Balmacarra.. many years ago there used to be half a dozen guys out in float tubes in the evening casting flies.. There was some good fishing on the point towards Mount Doug park.

Yes John it was a tough year for us shore fishers but I don’t see a reason to be so melodramatic. It’s fishing. There are good days and bad days. Good seasons and bad seasons. If you are so desperate for a salmon than hire a charter or buy a small tinny. I also had no salmon bites this summer on the ocean, but instead of whining about it I’m just gonna keep fishing.

Ya I know .. I'm just ticked that DFO has taken away 90% of my fishing season. May t0 August. I just felt confident that I would do at least as well as I did
last year in August. I had 5 salmon in the 1st week. This year not a sniff.

ps I'm working on getting a small boat to at least be able to get out on good day's to catch some winter springs

Back