90 hp Yamaha vs Mercury

1marko

The age old question but what are the actual numbers.. I'm hearing 10-1 for yamaha and chances are the merc's in the shop... lol really. ?
If you are about to choose what would you do..

Ya I ran Yamaha on my last boat and merc on my current boat. So far same same but different. Zero shop time for both.

My Merc 90 is a 2017 with 130 hours on it. I bought it a year ago from an old fella in Port whose fishing days are behind him. It had 52 hours when I bought it. So far, it's been perfect. I had an alarm come on when I was fishing in Bam a few weeks ago. The alarm brought up a code on the bluetooth mobile app and I was able to click the link and it gave me a list of things to check. It ended up being bull kelp blocking the water intake. I was impressed with the ease Mercury had that software set up with though. I've only got 80 or so hours on the engine but so far I would say I'm very happy. It is the perfect engine for my 17' Arima.

My Merc 90 is a 2017 with 130 hours on it. I bought it a year ago from an old fella in Port whose fishing days are behind him. It had 52 hours when I bought it. So far, it's been perfect. I had an alarm come on when I was fishing in Bam a few weeks ago. The alarm brought up a code on the bluetooth mobile app and I was able to click the link and it gave me a list of things to check. It ended up being bull kelp blocking the water intake. I was impressed with the ease Mercury had that software set up with though. I've only got 80 or so hours on the engine but so far I would say I'm very happy. It is the perfect engine for my 17' Arima.
Nice.. when things work the way they should . Knowing the 17ft arima well
What prop and top speed are you achieving..

Nice.. when things work the way they should . Knowing the 17ft arima well
What prop and top speed are you achieving..
I'm using a 4 blade solas 13P(I think). I haven't really done a top speed test, but it's in the low 30 mph range, just found a comfortable ocean cruise speed of around 20-22 knots sub 4000 rpm. The four blade spins up the rpm really easily and is perfect for keeping on plane at a low speed in ****** water conditions.

I have had a 90 merc for the past three years on a 16’ aluminum bow rider. Has run perfectly. I have a 4 blade 13 ish pitch prop as well. The fastest I have got the boat is 58 km/hr by gps with about 5900 rpm

You could break it down and look at torque numbers and what the lower leg ratios are. Or is it mainly reliability that you are asking about?

You could break it down and look at torque numbers and what the lower leg ratios are. Or is it mainly reliability that you are asking about?
Reliability is one and I'll take performance feedback as well.

yammy. i trust yammy although ive owned mercs. the n2k gw built into the engine is so awesome on yammys. can use the engine has your backbone.

The first thing you would want is local support. I don’t think you said where you live, however, the basic oil and filter changes are pretty easy on these, but eventually you might need to take it in to a dealer.

If you are into doing prop choices, Mercury, Marine has a very long and successful racing career, which includes designing and manufacturing their own propellers for a variety of needs.

I think if you look at most of the lodges on the coast, Mercury seems to be the dominant choice for some reason. You can’t go wrong with either though.

I'm using a 4 blade solas 13P(I think). I haven't really done a top speed test, but it's in the low 30 mph range, just found a comfortable ocean cruise speed of around 20-22 knots sub 4000 rpm. The four blade spins up the rpm really easily and is perfect for keeping on plane at a low speed in ****** water conditions.
Hey Bif, where are you lcoated? I also have an Arima 17 and have been thinking about trying a 4 blade prop on it. Would be cool of possible to see how your boat handles compared to mine. I am running a Honda 100 with a 3 blade 15p.

Back