300k boat for 200k

They're awesome. But they're very utilitarian inside, not necessarily a bad thing. I looked at a podded one after I looked at the commander and couldn't get over how much smaller it was.
I’m hoping the 26 commander will be the upgrade to this boat by next year. This will get me on the water comfortably this year, and is pretty much a trade off for my thunderjet, the Seasports hold value pretty good just like thunderjets, unless it blows up on me, I won’t break the bank on it and can continue plugging away at my commander.

I’m hoping the 26 commander will be the upgrade to this boat by next year. This will get me on the water comfortably this year, and is pretty much a trade off for my thunderjet, the Seasports hold value pretty good just like thunderjets, unless it blows up on me, I won’t break the bank on it and can continue plugging away at my commander.
Awesome plan. Pull the trigger.

What type of FI is on that engine? If it is tbi, and the throttle body hasn't been rebuilt, pay close attention to see if there are any issues with fuel leak or injectors failing. I can help steer you towards tbi injectors as all those parts are NLA from VP, and there is a lot of misinformation on the 220 tb in a marine application even though it was the "go to" before rail and is super simple. Super sweet rig. Good luck!

What type of FI is on that engine? If it is tbi, and the throttle body hasn't been rebuilt, pay close attention to see if there are any issues with fuel leak or injectors failing. I can help steer you towards tbi injectors as all those parts are NLA from VP, and there is a lot of misinformation on the 220 tb in a marine application even though it was the "go to" before rail and is super simple. Super sweet rig. Good luck!
it’s the tbi, engine bay looks clean,IMG_0274.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice boats, they are classic and sought after. You should easily be able to install a rear steering helm for the kicker and the boat would be dialed in with new electronics and kickers steering, ready for fishing. Put a tender on the roof and ready to cruise. If the motor and drive are nice then that could be an awesome boat. I think it probably sleeps 3 adults.

Well hopefully it’s a clean boat, will make pulling the trigger easier.
I don’t see a windlass and no rear helm, hopefully the rest of the boat is well equipped.
It's got seastar steering so adding a rear helm is easy

Windlass should also be an easy add on for you to do yourself in the shop. Your set up better than most to do it yourself. The no windlass or rear helm could be reason to bargain the price. Just really check out the drive and motor well, I’m not familiar with Volvo but seems it can be a bit finicky

all these extras and over-detail are what killed your current build, why not just get it and use the darn thing and not worry about every accessory possible? Windlass? Are you going to overnight on the hook right away?

It's got seastar steering so adding a rear helm is easy
Two Questions @ship happens;

1. I believe he wants to tie the kicker to the aft steering for fishing purposes. Would be easy to tie the main engine to a second aft helm, but not so easy to tie kicker into that. Existing Seastar is tied to I/O power steering... in the past it was a pain in the butt to make work with OceanSport Volvo D6 I/O - lots of valves to open / close to switch between steering for main helm vs. steering for kicker. Do you have an easier way to make it work with the two different drive types and the main engine not running thereby not providing power steering? Traditionally we have just given up trying to make the kicker work with the existing I/O power steering and installed a second discrete SeaStar system exclusively for the kicker setup. A bit more expensive and requires a second autopilot if you want AutoPilot when fishing.

2. The kicker on that seaport is tiller control... Tried to convert a Merc Pro Kicker before from tiller to SeaStar capable and by the time you did all the parts purchasing and swapping you were better just to sell the kicker and buy a new kicker designed for remote controls and hydraulic steering ram. Is the Tohatsu on this SeaSport going to be the same procedure? Better to sell and swap? Or buy the parts and do the swap?

It looks like it comes with a nice kicker with a tiller. Windlass is a 10k option these days on a new SP/C-Dory if I remember correctly, trailer looks a little small and over the 6500lb combined weight limit, which cost me 10k to (minus the 2.5k for what I sold the old one) upgrade in that same situation a few years ago (15k+ today). My GPS from Garmin was about 10 years old and went blank within two trips.

It looks like it might not be the XL cabin, and with the head on the same side as the table, it will likely sleep 1 small child and maybe two in the v-berth.

Looks like a great day tripper but a little small for an overnighter for a family.

1. I believe he wants to tie the kicker to the aft steering for fishing purposes. Would be easy to tie the main engine to a second aft helm, but not so easy to tie kicker into that. Existing Seastar is tied to I/O power steering... in the past it was a pain in the butt to make work with OceanSport Volvo D6 I/O - lots of valves to open / close to switch between steering for main helm vs. steering for kicker. Do you have an easier way to make it work with the two different drive types and the main engine not running thereby not providing power steering? Traditionally we have just given up trying to make the kicker work with the existing I/O power steering and installed a second discrete SeaStar system exclusively for the kicker setup. A bit more expensive and requires a second autopilot if you want AutoPilot when fishing.

2. The kicker on that seaport is tiller control... Tried to convert a Merc Pro Kicker before from tiller to SeaStar capable and by the time you did all the parts purchasing and swapping you were better just to sell the kicker and buy a new kicker designed for remote controls and hydraulic steering ram. Is the Tohatsu on this SeaSport going to be the same procedure? Better to sell and swap? Or buy the parts and do the swap?
the Thunderbird Marine ad?

The seasport in the above engine photo, has a Seastar hydraulic ram if you look closely. Does not have power steering. You can add a cylinder to the kicker with a liquid tie bar. I do this lots. Can add as many helms as you want. You would end up turning a valve to enable the kicker steering and turning it back to turn it off when not in use. This system only works with what I call " manual hydraulic steering ". No power products

You can convert that series Tohatsu into a "control model " with the 300 dollar parts kit plus an 800 dollar control box.

Last edited:
the Thunderbird Marine ad?
Affirm - the Thunderbird ad shows more detail and shows the kicker / tiller. Glad to know that the conversion is only $1100.00 plus labour. As for I/O - I have never known you could get I/O without power steering - I always assumed they all came automatically with Power Steering. Good eyes Ship! Liquid tie bar makes sense... That would be decent then.

Why not look at the 26 Osprey Long Cabin that they have with kicker and rear controls already in place? New outdrive 2020 also...

Affirm - the Thunderbird ad shows more detail and shows the kicker / tiller. Glad to know that the conversion is only $1100.00 plus labour. As for I/O - I have never known you could get I/O without power steering - I always assumed they all came automatically with Power Steering. Good eyes Ship! Liquid tie bar makes sense... That would be decent then.

Why not look at the 26 Osprey Long Cabin that they have with kicker and rear controls already in place? New outdrive 2020 also...

Its typically not a factory option. Seen very little boats that were factory built with manual hydraulic steering on I/Os. Expensive upgrade. Least with this one the basics are there. Its all in adding to the system

Reactions: BCI
Back