2024 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

One of many "encounters" with Hali at Epsom. Almost every year we "suspect" a Hali is lost, or we loose a confirmed one by sight. Typically the rod holder is playing his/her first flat fish.. Splashing for the season today on the 15.1 tide, let the fun begin!
You caught this off the bottom at Epsom?! Well done! How deep were you?

One of many "encounters" with Hali at Epsom. Almost every year we "suspect" a Hali is lost, or we loose a confirmed one by sight. Typically the rod holder is playing his/her first flat fish.. Splashing for the season today on the 15.1 tide, let the fun begin!
Well done !!!!

You caught this off the bottom at Epsom?! Well done! How deep were you?
Typically I drop one 15lb ball in the sand, when it touches down, stop the rigger and let it rise, the line/ball drag will determine the distance off the sand. Wind, tide, SOG will vary the depth, often touching the ball down in the sand, keep an eye on it, not a lot of structure to give you grief. Works for ling, Hali, and after the 15th? Can I say springs?

Typically I drop one 15lb ball in the sand, when it touches down, stop the rigger and let it rise, the line/ball drag will determine the distance off the sand. Wind, tide, SOG will vary the depth, often touching the ball down in the sand, keep an eye on it, not a lot of structure to give you grief. Works for ling, Hali, and after the 15th? Can I say springs?
Thanks! I'll have to try this. I picked up a ling out at Epsom last year as bi-catch. Was pretty surprised.

Are you fishing the sandbar where its ~70-90 ft deep (the one with those two little pinacles? or how deep is the water you're in?

Epsom Hali from last August . Got a bigger fish about 60ish lbs in 2018 off Anderson bay . One on a jig and one on live herring

There are also tons of lingcod on Epsom . We usually pick up a limit while we are on anchor fishing salmon . They are usually that perfect 10- 12 lb sized eating fish .

IMG_5654.jpeg

En route from vancouver to Thormanby now. Anyone happen to have a recent weather report? Looks like a steady NW that will be picking up. Thx in advance

En route from vancouver to Thormanby now. Anyone happen to have a recent weather report? Looks like a steady NW that will be picking up. Thx in advance
Just put the binoculars up and saw 3 boats at Epsom with some whitecaps further west in the open water towards Nanaimo.

There are also tons of lingcod on Epsom . We usually pick up a limit while we are on anchor fishing salmon . They are usually that perfect 10- 12 lb sized eating
I have been targeting Lings mostly at the mouth of Secrete but am curious about Epsom now. Are you getting them in the sand on the North or more so off the shelf to the West?

I have been targeting Lings mostly at the mouth of Secrete but am curious about Epsom now. Are you getting them in the sand on the North or more so off the shelf to the West?
We anchor for salmon on the drop offs of the shoal in 125’ - 165’. They are bycatch when we fish too close to bottom . Seems like some spots we anchor there is heaps of them . Seems like they are up hunting herring like everything else .

Back