2024 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

All quiet on here... I guess that means the coho haven't shown up yet for anyone else either? Had quite a few bit springs out at Epsom so far this year - lots of fun to play, but still an empty freezer.... anyone care to speculate with the hatchery coho might make it as far south as thormanby
They're already in Vancouver Harbour and south Bowen. I don't see why they wouldn't be around somwhere. Maybe French Creek is an option.

All quiet on here... I guess that means the coho haven't shown up yet for anyone else either? Had quite a few bit springs out at Epsom so far this year - lots of fun to play, but still an empty freezer.... anyone care to speculate with the hatchery coho might make it as far south as thormanby
You don’t get to many hatchery coho at Epsom for some reason. Last year was an exception, but still not numbers like French Creek, Sangster.

That's good to hear. Was nothing when I was there last weekend of May.

For those curious - Sangster was hot this weekend. We got our limit of hatchery ho's on Friday evening (3 guys) and Saturday (2 guys). Only a couple wild ones in the mix on Friday and lots of wild ones on Saturday (I assume this just chance).

We hit the south end of Thormanby Sunday afternoon and the fish were biting! Only one hatchery ho (first bite), but loads of big springs and wild ones. Let's hope these big guys are still here on July 14th...

Purple flasher with a blue spoon between 65-85 ft. was the winning combo most of the weekend.
Can you be a little more specific

Fished Friday and Saturday at Epsom. Limited out on hatch hos before noon both days, and I've never seen so many chinook out there in 35 years of fishing this area. Mind fully blow - had over 25 doubles and over 50 fish to boat on Saturday. Not bullshitting!! It was silly good. Bait for literal miles from surface to bottom - hatch hoes were mostly loaded with krill, some with herring. Epic fishing. Mid-July cannot come soon enough.

Fished Friday and Saturday at Epsom. Limited out on hatch hos before noon both days, and I've never seen so many chinook out there in 35 years of fishing this area. Mind fully blow - had over 25 doubles and over 50 fish to boat on Saturday. Not bullshitting!! It was silly good. Bait for literal miles from surface to bottom - hatch hoes were mostly loaded with krill, some with herring. Epic fishing. Mid-July cannot come soon enough.
What were you using for tackle? What depth were you finding the hatcheries at?

Well Krusty, I take it you weren't curious. I bet you're one of those guys that hates sharing info... isn't that the purpose of this forum?
Don't get me wrong I like hearing general reports for well-known areas as a barometer of productivity and reading about interesting fishing stories. But I don't think we need to spell out the whole game. That being said keep doing your thing I can't stop you.

-Krusty.

What were you using for tackle? What depth were you finding the hatcheries at?
Everything was in the top 80' of water, including the nooks, and as expected, the more of ho's were on the shallow rigger, but they were hitting both sides. Water was gin clear, so anything with a nickel-back (....This is how you remind me, of what I really am.... sorry 😅) would work - I had a Skinny G on one side and a Big-Eye on the other. Chartreuse and green flashers both equally good. Started fishing the bottom on one side with a black glow flasher then swapped it for green after the chartreuse starting popping off and the rest was history.

Couldn't believe the extent of bait out there. Totally bonkers. Georgia Strait is absolutely tee town right now! So great to see. Heard a very similar report way down south at HITW a day or two before - 50 hook ups in a day.

Lack of food for whales? Pass me whatever you're smoking!

Also did not see a single seal out there in 20 hours - not one! Further shows that there are an abundance of salmon, elsewhere. Shitload of birds though and they usually were sitting on baitballs holding a lot of fish.

Tight lines!

ps. heard another report from South Thormanby (near Pirate Rock) - biiiigggg schools of coho with multiple hookups spin-casting. Great spot to hit up if you really want to target hos.

Everything was in the top 80' of water, including the nooks, and as expected, the more of ho's were on the shallow rigger, but they were hitting both sides. Water was gin clear, so anything with a nickel-back (....This is how you remind me, of what I really am.... sorry 😅) would work - I had a Skinny G on one side and a Big-Eye on the other. Chartreuse and green flashers both equally good. Started fishing the bottom on one side with a black glow flasher then swapped it for green after the chartreuse starting popping off and the rest was history.

Couldn't believe the extent of bait out there. Totally bonkers. Georgia Strait is absolutely tee town right now! So great to see. Heard a very similar report way down south at HITW a day or two before - 50 hook ups in a day.

Lack of food for whales? Pass me whatever you're smoking!

Also did not see a single seal out there in 20 hours - not one! Further shows that there are an abundance of salmon, elsewhere. Shitload of birds though and they usually were sitting on baitballs holding a lot of fish.

Tight lines!

ps. heard another report from South Thormanby (near Pirate Rock) - biiiigggg schools of coho with multiple hookups spin-casting. Great spot to hit up if you really want to target hos.
Appreciate it the details! I'll be back out on Sunday. Hopefully they're still there!

I was down at the south end and had lots of fun on Sunday. Lots of big springs, quite a few coho, but only one hatchery marked.

Thanks to MiddlepointBigh's encouragement, we spent a few hours at Epsom yesterday morning and there was lots of action. 65-80' down in shallower water (average 120'deep) with purple flasher and spoon. In 2 hrs we got 2 hatchery cohos, 4 wild released, 1 hatchery spring released, and several big strikes likely spring that got off. Our coho were stuffed with herring. There were sea lions close to shore having a splash party.

Back