2023 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, tell me this is just a bad idea and that we should wait for another tournament further south….

4 of us hop in the dually and tow the new cat from 0lympia, WA to Vancouver or Port Angeles. Ferry over to Vancouver Island. Tow all the way up 19 to Port Hardy. Launch the boat and run her to Queen Charlotte. Other 1-2 guys can fly in. Do some slow pitch jigging. Take first place, have a great time….

How would the drive up be with the dually and cat? How’s the boat ride from Port Hardy to the island? I heard that the “canal”’can be a bit interesting getting through depending upon tides and currents.

This is for the folks who fished Canada for their first time at the Tofino Derby. We know nothing about that far north.
If it was me coming from Vancouver I would probably just tow to prince Rupert and take ferry across or run across from there I’m going to be running my boat over and have my trailer “hossled on” and then take the ferry back to Rupert after the derby it is Definetly a long trip coming from Vancouver but there is a chance of big pay outs as well

Where are they staging the derby from,Charlotte City and run the ditch? Only 2 places to get fuel there unless you talk the Outpost into giving some up if there's still anyone around there.

Where are they staging the derby from,Charlotte City and run the ditch? Only 2 places to get fuel there unless you talk the Outpost into giving some up if there's still anyone around there.
Derby and weigh in will be in Charlotte city
most guys will be running the narrows everyday I’d imagine

Well hell, none of that sounds realistic for us. Prince Rupert is a 19-hour drive from here. 😕

Well hell, none of that sounds realistic for us. Prince Rupert is a 19-hour drive from here. 😕
Ship the boat to Ketchikan on Western towboats barge, weekly runs From the west waterway in Seattle. Fly into Ketchikan, run boat to QCC.
OR....take the state ferry Matenuska WA to Alaska

The Bamfield Tuna Shootout might be a more reasonable option and it’s a great derby. Similar setup to your trip last year. Launch the rig in Port Alberni, run ~25 miles out to Bamfield and you’re ready to fish. Slightly longer runs (10 miles) from Bamfield but fishing the same water as last year.

Tow her to Prince Rupert, two - three guys driving would be quickest, most affordable and most reliable, but it is not an easy drive at all. Flight from Vancouver for the other guys. It is an opportunity of a lifetime, I fished HG in the 1990s, and it was amazing. You have a good trailer for it, but a couple of extra spare tires for the trailer and a couple of spares for the dually would be a good idea. You'll have to check the exchange rate closer to the date, be tough explaining to a buddy that he only has a share in 70k USD vs the 100k he thought he was going to get a share of.

Bamfield derby will also be a good one this year and is more realistic for southern folks.

I checked with Lynden and the Ferry Alaska folks about shipping the boat up. Neither would drop off at Prince Rupert, so I asked about Ketchikan. Lynden was ~$9,800 USD (that’s like a gazillion Cad) and Ferry Alaska was ~$4,500 USD, each way! Well outside of our pay grades.

I checked with Lynden and the Ferry Alaska folks about shipping the boat up. Neither would drop off at Prince Rupert, so I asked about Ketchikan. Lynden was ~$9,800 USD (that’s like a gazillion Cad) and Ferry Alaska was ~$4,500 USD, each way! Well outside of our pay grades.
For that kinda dough you could run the boat up.....guess u gotta pay to play. Seems trailering to Rupert would be most economical. I guess we now know how much to add for a boat purchased in Alaska (15k cdn)

Last edited:
Over $2000 each way from hardy to Rupert on the ferry with 60 feet of length. Likely more because of over width. I think they charge commercial rates for anything over 102", couldn't get that quote online.

The worst part of towing the whole way would be getting through the Fraser canyon to around cache Creek. Then the highways pretty easy going, but it's still gonna be 20+ hours towing that unit. Over width permits...

I'd consider motoring up, lots of protected water and can be a once in a lifetime experience. Did Ballard to Rupert in 6 days on PWCs longest day was 9 hours, could probably do it in 4 if where in a hurry.

Ferry from van to Nanaimo will run you over 500 each way. Hard to get the number right for over width stuff,would have to call them. Then you still have two drive to hardy or McNeil and do 2-3 day run up.

It's fun trying to dream up and plan other people's adventures.

Good luck!

I’m very excited about the new build and want to fish the heck out of her before letting her go. I was really trying to see if it made sense to bring it up. It just doesn’t. It was fun trying to see if I could make it work. I have no doubt that it would be an absolute blast to run a “canal” for 27 miles, then go another 5-6 miles off shore and be catching albacore. Not to mention the chance to include a couple other species on the same trip.

I’m very excited about the new build and want to fish the heck out of her before letting her go. I was really trying to see if it made sense to bring it up. It just doesn’t. It was fun trying to see if I could make it work. I have no doubt that it would be an absolute blast to run a “canal” for 27 miles, then go another 5-6 miles off shore and be catching albacore. Not to mention the chance to include a couple other species on the same trip.

Oh you would be running further than that to get to the tuna grounds. ;)

Add another 40-50 miles and you will be a lot closer to them

Interesting. I assumed they followed the shelf up that way, and since it’s so close, the albacore would be too.

Attachments

• D7558019-10D2-4F4E-AB4D-9EFF66B1BBE1.png
    D7558019-10D2-4F4E-AB4D-9EFF66B1BBE1.png
    666.4 KB · Views: 92
Interesting. I assumed they followed the shelf up that way, and since it’s so close, the albacore would be too.

Pardon my comment, I thought you were talking about running out the Alberni Canal and then heading offshore of Ucluelet or Bamfield when you referenced running out a canal.
Interesting. I assumed they followed the shelf up that way, and since it’s so close, the albacore would be to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back