2023 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I promised a report although my plans changed… ended up fishing the Washington 2 day re-opening of area 7 instead of heading across to the islands- good thing they opened it back up as the wind made it pretty sporty out there yesterday and there was no way we were going to make it across the straits. Fished point roberts both days mostly during the day and man there is a lot of coho in there. Ended up getting 4 clipped in 2 days all were nice fat coho for this time of year. Definitely did not target them either as I was after chinook. First day could not get a chinook to save us, then yesterday ended up with a couple nice just under hatchery before I switched every rod over to cut plugs dragging close to the bottom hoping to get a nice one. Sure enough I get a pin popper and it’s game on. Ended up going about #14 lbs not huge but was more than happy to finally get one in the boat. Sounds like I missed the bite for chinook 2 weeks ago out here.

I haven't put much effort in there. Dropped the lines once while passing through with my fam on the boat - didn't find anything. See plenty of jigging in there when I pass through. Assumed they were looking for lings.
Salamanca is NW of Active Pass out of the RCA that spans the mouth of the pass.

You’re right Salamanca is outside of the RCA, but if you saw jigging there hope they weren’t going for lings. Being in area 29, it’s basically permanently closed for lings (like all of 28 & 29). Kinda silly cause it’s on the other side of the straight but good old DFO area boundaries…

Just wondering if anyone spends much time halibut fishing off the gulf islands. I’ve dabbled a bit with a friend of mine in chemainus but we haven’t put any serious time in. A while back we saw a bunch of halibut carcasses at the Ladysmith launch and we started getting a bit more curious. Cheers

I’ve spent some time searching for Hali, nothing. My grandpa said they used to be out deep on the east end of Active Pass, guys would get them sometimes. Last time over there (June) I went out past the RCA off Mayne, just outside of the RCA and just southeast of the ferry path, there’s a couple bumps there around 180-200’ depth surrounded by 300’+. Anchored up. Got a few dogfish and then finally something of note. I’ve only ever played one Halibut (guide trip) which turned out to be way over, approx 100lb said the guide, and released. So not sure what they fight like but this fish I had a feeling it was not a Hali. Turned out to be a massive lingcod, biggest I‘ve seen in 10 years. Maybe 35-40lbs. We gave her a kiss and let her swim away to produce more. Still searching for the elusive Hali. A trip to Victoria is in order but whenever I’m over that side the JDF is blowing too hard.

We fished Collinson area this evening, saw tons of biomass on the sonar but no hits for us. We saw some pinks (I think pinks) jumping and saw a few boats that were targeting pinks getting a few. I’ll be out there tomorrow and see what happens. We didn’t see anything of size landed.

Just wondering if anyone spends much time halibut fishing off the gulf islands. I’ve dabbled a bit with a friend of mine in chemainus but we haven’t put any serious time in. A while back we saw a bunch of halibut carcasses at the Ladysmith launch and we started getting a bit more curious. Cheers
When we kept a boat at Pt Roberts 10 years ago, we fished Alden Bank, which is just 12 nm south of pt bob, and over 3 years we landed 5 smallish Hali, biggest maybe 25. So they are there. Typical routine was we would anchor up and drop the gear. We would get a few dogfish and then if the Hali were there after about 45 minutes to an hour we would get some action. I figured the dogfish have a better sense of smell but just a guess. The problem for me was the Hali season there was only 8 or 10 days and you had to line up a crew, hope the weather was ok etc etc. The one nice thing about Alden is that the currents are never that strong. I have tried other areas in the Strait that supposedly yield Hali but no luck. I did pick a small one trolling for salmon years ago at Porlier Pass.

Found a few coho this morning at Salamanca, 2 clipped and 3 wilds. Stayed at 25-30 on the rigger to try and avoid springs, and it worked. Got a hit on the 3rd rod dragging a 3oz jigging lure prob 5’ under the surface. Had it on for 10sec and shook off. Went over to east entrance of Active Pass, spent an hour trolling and got a 68cm spring on a chartreuse flash fly hoochie. Lost a screamer just before that. Then went and explored some new ling spots a bit on the outside, down Saturna way well past the Bell Chain RCA, and we mustered up a keeper ling. Now to pull the prawn traps to see if we can hit the ‘ol grand slam. Great start to the weekend.

Attachments

• 8B7AC123-8C04-434F-85D8-BFEEC57C3A01.jpeg
    8B7AC123-8C04-434F-85D8-BFEEC57C3A01.jpeg
    876.6 KB · Views: 114
  • ECD6FBCE-E6EC-4081-B067-95022E2B5932.jpeg
    ECD6FBCE-E6EC-4081-B067-95022E2B5932.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 105
  • EDF753DE-B2F2-4831-8E9B-29784DF486A2.jpeg
    EDF753DE-B2F2-4831-8E9B-29784DF486A2.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 786593C3-1E99-4FC1-ACA7-30EE1EB3DEBB.jpeg
    786593C3-1E99-4FC1-ACA7-30EE1EB3DEBB.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 57
I fished the afternoon slack at the East Entrance to Active Pass. The first hit didn’t stick and then 20 minutes later big hit and the fight was on. Some big runs and the fish was tired by the time I netted it solo, was 85 cms so back it went and I watched it swim away. It was a thick stout fish! My hands were too slimey to take a photo. I had to cut off the second hook on the Flash Fly because I was struggling to unhook it In a timely way even though the barbs were pinched well. I had the Flash Fly at 95’. Then I ran out of time and had to head back in our 12.5’ tender to avoid the swirling currents. Was a fun afternoon. It is a tricky place to fish solo but Collinson has been just pinks for 3 days so I wanted to try for a spring.

How was the evening bite at Galiano bluffs yesterday? There was lots of boats out. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to stop and join the fun.

How was the evening bite at Galiano bluffs yesterday? There was lots of boats out. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to stop and join the fun.
I didnt fish it but my guide contact did for a while after fishing Active and it was more of the same , lots of pinks. Maybe some are getting springs there but I didn’t see any. I fished the East Entrance to Active again today this morning on the slack. I had a good hit which didnt stick for long and then I landed a 57 cm chinook which I was really hoping was a clipped coho. I am looking for a Goldie Locks fish. Maybe tomorrow we will fish Active on our way back - if I can get my crew up early enough. We‘ll see about that!

I didnt fish it but my guide contact did for a while after fishing Active and it was more of the same , lots of pinks. Maybe some are getting springs there but I didn’t see any. I fished the East Entrance to Active again today this morning on the slack. I had a good hit which didnt stick for long and then I landed a 57 cm chinook which I was really hoping was a clipped coho. I am looking for a Goldie Locks fish. Maybe tomorrow we will fish Active on our way back - if I can get my crew up early enough. We‘ll see about that!
I worked the east entrance tack for the last 4 mornings for springs, first light until around 8:30 this morning was 8-10am. Friday I got a 68cm and lost a screamer (70’ on rigger) Saturday only a hatch coho and a pink. Sunday got a 67cm spring (at 60’) Today got a couple good smashes on chovies but no love. I like the wide turn by the lighthouse.

Funny story, on Sat we were jigging for cod on the outside, between Bell Chain and Tumbo. My buddy was just off bottom with a 12oz weight and a big ol herring. His line went slack he thought he lost everything… then a big jump beside us. So I grab my casting rod quick but he says “I’m on it!” Wft, so ok I grab the net. It runs briefly, jumps again, thrashes around and heads straight towards the boat at the surface. Luckily right at me with the net… quick scoop and boom, 69cm spring in the boat. Never happened to me before, awesome story.

I also tried flat fall jigging while trolling and while the kids cod fished. Just cast out far, jig it, let it drop, reel, whatever. I hooked up with a coho and a couple pinks, one we landed and bbq for lunch. That’s pretty fun way to fish I’ll be honest.

Anyways on the 4-day we ended up with 3 spring, 3 coho, 3 pink, 4 ling, 1 rockfish, 1 kelp greenling, a few crab and a handful of prawn (very slow prawning, not surprised). I got a bunch of footage on the dash cam so will put together a video… eventually. Tight lines!

Attachments

• 798F153E-D054-4569-9DF1-D0C0C0459C68.jpeg
    798F153E-D054-4569-9DF1-D0C0C0459C68.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 8F9B871E-3AAA-4C12-A51B-4CEF45EFC4EC.jpeg
    8F9B871E-3AAA-4C12-A51B-4CEF45EFC4EC.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 8213979F-BAB4-492D-B139-8137649D93E3.jpeg
    8213979F-BAB4-492D-B139-8137649D93E3.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 84
I worked the east entrance tack for the last 4 mornings for springs, first light until around 8:30 this morning was 8-10am. Friday I got a 68cm and lost a screamer (70’ on rigger) Saturday only a hatch coho and a pink. Sunday got a 67cm spring (at 60’) Today got a couple good smashes on chovies but no love. I like the wide turn by the lighthouse.
Great report, thanks. I'm new to that area ... where is East Entrance. Thanks in advance.

Beautiful afternoon at east side of Moresby to cap off an awesome long weekend on the water in area 18 and Sidney area. Chinooks showed up at Moresby, seemed most boats there got into fish. Put this 78cm 15lber in the box, and while cleaning things up after the fight, the otherside goes off. Great fight, oversized Chinook so gaff released at side of boat.

All in all, got a couple pinks, nice haul of dungies, decent size ling, 78cm Chinook, released oversize Chinook and released a 61cm Chinook….. and Stizzla’d a couple cannonballs 1EA7C569-F274-470B-8239-F15AEB361D46.jpegD9339081-2240-41DB-9B03-F949A2B73B8F.jpegA965F804-9B24-4B60-AECF-4DC2031158A4.jpeg68539F90-30D5-42AF-A4B2-A05CA31E472E.jpegF72F2DD2-B1F1-481B-94F6-6DBE327CAF87.jpeg

Beautiful afternoon at east side of Moresby to cap off an awesome long weekend on the water in area 18 and Sidney area. Chinooks showed up at Moresby, seemed most boats there got into fish. Put this 78cm 15lber in the box, and while cleaning things up after the fight, the otherside goes off. Great fight, oversized Chinook so gaff released at side of boat.

All in all, got a couple pinks, nice haul of dungies, decent size ling, 78cm Chinook, released oversize Chinook and released a 61cm Chinook….. and Stizzla’d a couple cannonballs View attachment 95902View attachment 95903View attachment 95904View attachment 95905View attachment 95906
Not trying to be a buzz kill but unless I read the regs wrong I thought 18-6 was no chinook retention Aug 1-Oct15. For some reason I don’t know why…

Well colour me dumb, I guess I’ve only ever hit the west & south sides. I shoulda clued in and tried there… 🤷‍♂️
Haha…. With so many different regs in the area it’s easy to miss. But ya, east side of the island is open for 1 slot sized Chinook right now. There was a group of boats there all weekend. There were some pinks around, and Chinook at times. I put in a lot of time with nothing but clearing salad from the lines.190D6592-079B-41E8-AABA-D31F2CE467E7.jpegFC383202-06BE-4E33-BB95-737402B6BB33.jpeg

Haha…. With so many different regs in the area it’s easy to miss. But ya, east side of the island is open for 1 slot sized Chinook right now. There was a group of boats there all weekend. There were some pinks around, and Chinook at times. I put in a lot of time with nothing but clearing salad from the lines.View attachment 95933View attachment 95934
My god, this just gets dumber and dumber.

Haha…. With so many different regs in the area it’s easy to miss. But ya, east side of the island is open for 1 slot sized Chinook right now. There was a group of boats there all weekend. There were some pinks around, and Chinook at times. I put in a lot of time with nothing but clearing salad from the lines.View attachment 95933View attachment 95934
I glanced at that damn map before leaving and I mistook Portland Island for Moresby. Really dumb cause I spent my childhood and still do hang out on Mayne in the summers. Usually more active pass tho. Lol.

Last edited:
Went out to Porlier Thursday afternoon with an out of town friend and had good luck. Just out and to the right a kilometre or so, jigging at 90 feet, we had a dozen or more coho to the boat in about three hours. None were clipped, but we were happy to just flip them off at the boat and see them off, trying to minimize their harm.

We were using Shimano butterfly jigs. We started with a yellow/white and a dark blue/purple, and quickly move to two of the dark jigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back