2023 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out Monday around Saltspring and found a decent one at booth bay with the kid. Decent prawning as well. Lots of boats at booth and elsewhere that day as it was a beauty day for being on the water.

Haven’t fished porlier recently but I’d imagine it’s pretty decent these days based on past years experience. Tight lines to all in 2023!

7D53187A-3F5F-44FE-A1B0-2B9A597D24C5.jpeg

Got out Monday around Saltspring and found a decent one at booth bay with the kid. Decent prawning as well. Lots of boats at booth and elsewhere that day as it was a beauty day for being on the water.

Haven’t fished porlier recently but I’d imagine it’s pretty decent these days based on past years experience. Tight lines to all in 2023!
We fished Tent Island / North Reef for a couple hours early Sunday a.m. and there was a bit of bait but we only managed one good bite that we proceeded to lose. We passed thru Porlier Saturday mid day on the way to Saltspring and Sunday afternoon on the way back to Vancouver and didn't see any boats fishing either time ... in hindsight, we should have dropped the lines there instead. Per usual at this time of year, there were hundreds of fat sea lions hanging out on Galiano on the outside of Porlier.
IMG_0600.jpeg

Hi Guys, heading out with the family for the first time this season tomorrow morning. Going to be in the Pender island area, never winter fished there. Is Booth bay the closet or is Moresby island worth a try? Usually winter fish around Bowen but thought I’d try something new, winds look good for exploring. Any info is much appreciated 🍻

Picked up some prawns this morning , fished tent while the traps were soaking , nothing for me. I had good success a couple weeks ago but seems like the fish may have moved away.

Hi Guys, heading out with the family for the first time this season tomorrow morning. Going to be in the Pender island area, never winter fished there. Is Booth bay the closet or is Moresby island worth a try? Usually winter fish around Bowen but thought I’d try something new, winds look good for exploring. Any info is much appreciated 🍻
Booth is a pretty long run from pender. Lots of closer options for you including Moresby, Salamanca or east point depending exactly where are you on pender.

Booth is a pretty long run from pender. Lots of closer options for you including Moresby, Salamanca or east point depending exactly where are you on pender.
Made it out yesterday, but bit of a late start. Ended up soaking a crab trap while walking down to Panther point, wanted to get the lines in the water but was outvoted by wife and kids who wanted to stretch the legs. Agree on Salamanca up to Cook Cove has been a good tack in the past. Never fished east point off Saturna before, around the light house out to the marker? The 180’ contour looks nice?
Where should I start at Moresby, Raynard or Fairfax? Just glad to get out, calm seas and sunshine makes for a great Sunday.

Attachments

• 31472390-DF1D-4A46-B67D-3BB0ED83C50C.jpeg
    31472390-DF1D-4A46-B67D-3BB0ED83C50C.jpeg
    530.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 316115AB-3484-4484-A8DD-FC5162D77FD9.jpeg
    316115AB-3484-4484-A8DD-FC5162D77FD9.jpeg
    660.7 KB · Views: 115
Made it out yesterday, but bit of a late start. Ended up soaking a crab trap while walking down to Panther point, wanted to get the lines in the water but was outvoted by wife and kids who wanted to stretch the legs. Agree on Salamanca up to Cook Cove has been a good tack in the past. Never fished east point off Saturna before, around the light house out to the marker? The 180’ contour looks nice?
Where should I start at Moresby, Raynard or Fairfax? Just glad to get out, calm seas and sunshine makes for a great Sunday.

Watch out not to fish the east side of Moresby. Pretty sure it's a permanent closed area. Fairfax is a beautiful place to spend and afternoon. Fishing is hit or miss but look where you are. Great spot. Usually fish right on the bottom there with small spoons. AP spoons, sand Lance spoons, or anything 3 inch with a little glow. Sure someone the Sydney guys would have more input.

East side of Galliano.. South saturna and up to active is spotty sometimes, lots of small herring around usually. You'll find that all a sudden you get a bite or 2, then nothing for a long time. Some spots hold bitey fish for some reason. The tide works differe there. In front of active pass, different story. Depends on what tide table you use. 2 hours after point Atkinson low water is the best for that spot. Up to salmnonaca it's good all the way from there to poirer. Some spots hold more fish for some reason but you can just get on a line at 180/200 and fish bottom. You can only really tach one way on the tide so know the tide because sometimes you wanna go south.

Last edited:
anyone been having any luck for fish over at porlier pass was thinking of heading over there soon to fish

Took a trip across, first time with the pod, was a bumpy one Tues am but sure rides better than before. It’s nice to have power when you need it in that kinda chop also… finally!
Fished Moresby 9-noon just one undersized but a spunky one, ran a bit, jumped 5x and shot off quick when released. Marked not much of anything on the screen.
Salamanca Tue night was a bust, this morning got a couple unders and finally a barely-keeper for my efforts. Got about 100 prawn also, only a few with eggs to throw back. Lost a ball on a rookie move, been a few months since I’ve been out :rolleyes: Much calmer crossing back this morning.

spent a couple hours fishing Salamanca on Saturday afternoon. one keeper around 10lbs and a few unders / lings that were released. Didn't find any big pockets of decent fish but they should be around this time of year. Nice one for the BBQ at least. 160' of water on needlefish hooch at bottom was where we got the keeper.

I am looking for some information on the Booth Bay area. As a child, we rented a cabin every summer called Kirkness from a family named Mike and Sheila Stacey. The resort was at the end of Rainbow Beach road. We are talking 1964-1976. I remember the dock and tennis court which is still there. Being 62 now, and looking through all the pictures, I would love to reconnect and visit that specific area again. Is there anyone who knows someone that would be willing to rent a cabin in that area? That was one of the most beautiful memories in my life and would like to get back there. Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
Jim H

First effort of the year, south of Porlier this morning , 8 -1. Fish on in twenty minutes, 8 lbs. on black, green, glow hootchie. Looking good...
rest of the day, six just unders. Not so great. Now we wait to see if DFO will grant us the privilege of one marked fish in a few select areas or we sit on our butts for 4 months. What a sad state our fishery has become...

First effort of the year, south of Porlier this morning , 8 -1. Fish on in twenty minutes, 8 lbs. on black, green, glow hootchie. Looking good...
rest of the day, six just unders. Not so great. Now we wait to see if DFO will grant us the privilege of one marked fish in a few select areas or we sit on our butts for 4 months. What a sad state our fishery has become...
Have you ever checked out what opportunities our neighbors to the south get? No wonder they all flock to BC

Dropped some prawn traps yesterday with many other boats out there yesterday in the area, was a beauty flat calm day and limits were easy to get for the 3 of us on boat, had a cold pop and some grub at pup on Thetis while they soaked,
nothing like fresh from the ocean feed and some in the freezer for later
Great day to be out

Dropped some prawn traps yesterday with many other boats out there yesterday in the area, was a beauty flat calm day and limits were easy to get for the 3 of us on boat, had a cold pop and some grub at pup on Thetis while they soaked,
nothing like fresh from the ocean feed and some in the freezer for later
Great day to be out
How was the food at the pub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back