Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not looking for the secret, "Silver Bullet" but generally speaking do the following increase ones chances on COHO hookups?
Shorter leader lengths
Increased speed
40'-70' on the DR
White hootchie or typical chinook gear

Looking forward to Oct 1st new regs which I believe are:
Area 19, 2 Coho per day one which may be a wild.
Area 20 4 Coho per day (HOW MANY CAN BE WILD) ??

Normal min size and restricted areas still stand.

Thanks.
Area 20, 1 can be Wild. except Port Renfrew where it is 2 Wild inside the bay.

Area 20, 1 can be Wild. except Port Renfrew where it is 2 Wild inside the bay.
Agree. The easiest DFO guidance to read is a map and table of limits and dates for each area -- its kind of buried in the DFO website, but an example for Area 20 is here: - https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/20-co-chq-eng.pdf

For most areas, there is one map and table for coho and one for chinook. I print them for the areas I fish -- they include RCAs and "No-Go Zones" and any other special closures, so its all in one place instead of deciphering the Fisheries Notices.

Going to hali fish the mud hole tomorrow am. I don't do much salmon fishing off Victoria and hoping to fish coho for a couple hours after. Any tips on locations near the mud hole where coho may be found? or I will run back through Whirl Bay towards the head if I have to but trying to cut down travel distance.
Thanks

Going to hali fish the mud hole tomorrow am. I don't do much salmon fishing off Victoria and hoping to fish coho for a couple hours after. Any tips on locations near the mud hole where coho may be found? or I will run back through Whirl Bay towards the head if I have to but trying to cut down travel distance.
Thanks
the way currents look you'd be better off fishing coho first then switch to hali in the afternoon for the ebb to flood at around 1530

Thanks
Just launch at pedder bay

the way currents look you'd be better off fishing coho first then switch to hali in the afternoon for the ebb to flood at around 1530
I have to be off the water early afternoon so have to fish the shorter morning window.
Launching from Pedder so have some options pending how Hali goes.
Thx

Baptized the boat today. Felt good after releasing wild coho for the past couple of weeks. Just inside 19-1 beside Macaulay pt.
Thanks to everyone who've been sharing tips on the forum. Achieved my PB spring: 28 lbs. It was a white male. I need a bigger net. 🙄🤣
20221001_125640.jpg
20221001_135750.jpg

That's a beauty ,thought they were all gone by now.Quite a few coho coming in too.Great weather. You didn't actually catch it on that swim bait/hootchy rig did you?

That's a beauty ,thought they were all gone by now.Quite a few coho coming in too.Great weather. You didn't actually catch it on that swim bait/hootchy rig did you?
I did. Coho like it as well. Same flasher as my last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back