Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been out quite a bit this spring so far and was out Saturday and Wednesday this week so far. Both days were decent...we released 5 on Saturday with largest a solid 15-16 pounds. Wednesday we played 15 springs with the largest 14 pounds. The two bigger fish were strong fish that spooled a lot of line close to what summer fish do. Nice to hear the reels sing with something of size on them. Skinny G''s outfished the hootchies this week and the fish have been up off the bottom a bit which is nice...not having to bounce the bottom so much. Out again tomorrow afternoon with a 4 boat group trip and then 2 trips on Saturday. Saturday is supposed to blow in JDF so we may end up over in Sidney for the first time this spring to enjoy some calmer water.

Last edited:
Spent the morning yesterday trolling Otter with not one other boat on a May long weekend...weird and sad really. Was enjoyable to have it to one's self though. My single guest played over a dozen springs to 16-17 pounds. Most were 5-10 pounds. 70-85 feet was best. Very little bait showing anywhere as we trolled back to the bluffs at the end of the morning and saw very little if anything on the screen. Beautiful calm sunny day...finally.

Spent the morning yesterday trolling Otter with not one other boat on a May long weekend...weird and sad really. Was enjoyable to have it to one's self though. My single guest played over a dozen springs to 16-17 pounds. Most were 5-10 pounds. 70-85 feet was best. Very little bait showing anywhere as we trolled back to the bluffs at the end of the morning and saw very little if anything on the screen. Beautiful calm sunny day...finally.

That's sad. May long weekend used to be so busy, and start of season. Always looked forward to it.

Out again for a short 4 hour morning and Otter gave us 11 springs....3 of them would be 12-13 pounds. Nice morning and once again the only boat there. Did a coupe close in tacks looking for something bigger but only found one of the 12's we caught. Hali fishing tomorrow.

Jordan River this morning for hali...lost one half way to the boat right on the change...mackerel. Not a singe doggie which was nice.

Snuck out yesterday for an hour at 330pm slack. Went to my old Lingcod hole and was rewarded again. 165ft, 2 oz Jenson Perkins on a single action reel. Counted over a dozen Ling's kept a nice 70 cm, released one over 4ft long. Hard to get out to it normally as its usually crowded with salmon trollers. Unfortunately, my picture is a bit late, but it did happen.IMG_0209.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Otter today for 4 hrs from low slack and first 1/2 of the flood. We landed 11 Chinook...3 of them 15-16 pounds and all hatchery. Lost 1 good fish that broke us off when the customer panicked about so much line coming off the reel and tried to stop it. 65-85 ft and skinny g's or anchovie were working. Out tomorrow all day for 2 trips and hoping for a repeat.

Stellar day for us halibut fishing out of Sooke. After getting up early the last 2 trips and getting skunked, we decided on a later start. Launched at 8:15am, waited a bit for the current to slow, then 3 hali between 9am and 11:15 (77, 85 and 92cm). The same rod caught all 3 today, Gibbs Hali hawg with herring. Forgot my gaff so had to net them
So i'm 2 for 5 on hali trips this year, but on those 2 trips we've caught 5 hali!
I'm done hali fishing till the fall I think.

Attachments

• 20220528_111609_HDR.jpg
    20220528_111609_HDR.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 143
Stellar day for us halibut fishing out of Sooke. After getting up early the last 2 trips and getting skunked, we decided on a later start. Launched at 8:15am, waited a bit for the current to slow, then 3 hali between 9am and 11:15 (77, 85 and 92cm). The same rod caught all 3 today, Gibbs Hali hawg with herring. Forgot my gaff so had to net them
So i'm 2 for 5 on hali trips this year, but on those 2 trips we've caught 5 hali!
I'm done hali fishing till the fall I think.
nice

Unless you are in area 20-5. Inside Beecher bay inside the island
I'll be out of Pedder so a least it won't cost too much in gas. Hopefully they can be found in that sliver of water

Well I finally decided to pound the beach in tight and try and find a big one as the ebb was pulling so strong that I figured they would be tucked in there to stay out of the current. We started hitting fish on the first pass in close loosing a decent fish and releasing a couple smaller springs, Just after the tide change I heard the rod behind my back pop off the rigger and once the rod was in my hands I knew we had a good one. After a good battle my early glimpse put him close to 30...then as we got him alongside for some pics and then turned him free I figured a solid 28. A nice fish and the first real decent from Sooke for me this year...it was also unclipped. Skinny G 45 ft.

Attachments

• june1.jpg
    june1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 236
  • june2.jpg
    june2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 223
Another good day today with 12 Chinook to 18 pounds released. Nice flat water and today and we even had some company with 2-3 boats around us most of the day. Shallow seems to be working right now with Skinny G's at 40 and 45 feet working best and anchovie at 50 ft not doing nearly as much.

Out of Becher at 6:30. Double header right away off the head. 3 Springs released beside the boat. A couple more lost. All before 8:30. Only one on spoon, rest on small herring over dummy flasher at 60'. Nothing over 10#. Other boats doing well.
Tried for lings but only got small ones. Spent an hour out looking for coho. None but I did see a couple of jumpers about a km. out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back