Status
Not open for further replies.
Some nice fish in Whirl yesterday around low slack. 120-140’, bottom 20’. Spoons & hootchies. Some nice big wilds.
I agree that fishing was great at Whirl Bay. 3 of our 4 fish were hatchery fish and then those hatchery heads into the box at Pedder Bay.
My last four trips were to Whirl and yesterday was the best but one of the trips we only got two hits. It can be hit and miss.

Which boat were you in?

Was out yesterday and this morning off the Bluffs. Yesterday we kept 6 nice fish and lost a couple in 4 hours. This morning we needed 4 fish to limit and that happened in 36 minutes. Fish were to nice to release. Rubber and a skinny g did the trick. Early was the ticket. 80 to 105 ft was best.

Went out again on Thursday morning and we kept 4 and lost 2 nice fish in our 4 our trip. Pattern was the same as the 2 days previous with 80- to 105 ft being best for us. Not finding much action just off the bottom so fishing all lines further up. Skinny G's and rubber worked well. Also kept 16 nice Dungies after letting the 2 traps soak overnight, emptying them before we ran out to fish and then again afterwards. I took a nasty fall on the Prestige docks as I didn't know until it was to late that the sloping section of docks was frosted over. Rubber boots and ice don't offer much traction. I was down before I knew it and banged the back of my head on the boards...almost knocking myself out. A day later and a sore lower back and a bit of a sore neck, likely slight whiplash. Threw buckets of seawater on that section of boards so anyone else wouldn't end up hurting themself. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be the first in the water......

Went out again on Thursday morning and we kept 4 and lost 2 nice fish in our 4 our trip. Pattern was the same as the 2 days previous with 80- to 105 ft being best for us. Not finding much action just off the bottom so fishing all lines further up. Skinny G's and rubber worked well. Also kept 16 nice Dungies after letting the 2 traps soak overnight, emptying them before we ran out to fish and then again afterwards. I took a nasty fall on the Prestige docks as I didn't know until it was to late that the sloping section of docks was frosted over. Rubber boots and ice don't offer much traction. I was down before I knew it and banged the back of my head on the boards...almost knocking myself out. A day later and a sore lower back and a bit of a sore neck, likely slight whiplash. Threw buckets of seawater on that section of boards so anyone else wouldn't end up hurting themself. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be the first in the water......
I hope they gave you a big tip!

Yikes.

Productive weekend trolling for springs off the sooke bluffs as well as otter
Point. Saturday morning landed quite a few smaller guys all released lost 2 good ones at the boat maybe 10lbs ended up with a 6-7lb hatch Saturday for the bbq. late start today on the water around 11am caught a few small ones not worth keeping, then got my rigger wrapped around a crab trap at otter losing my cannon ball. Few more cookie cutters then at 2pm my girlfriend hooked into a beauty hatch weighed in at 14lbs all caught on small spoons and hoochies near bottom.

Attachments

• DE6B035F-6116-4C0D-867E-F53D2F4E088C.jpeg
    DE6B035F-6116-4C0D-867E-F53D2F4E088C.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 99
Late Report: Got a friend visiting from Edmonton who hasn't fished for a few years. Fished Whirl on Thursday and Friday. He kept two clipped in the 6 to 7lb range on Thursday and 2 in the 7-8lb range on Friday. Released a couple of smaller ones. All near the bottom with most on a white hoochie in 120-150 ft of water. Hoping to get him out tomorrow and try for a hali.

Got out halibut fishing off of Sooke yesterday with couple of friends and went to my favorite halibut hole.. Fished in 135 ft of water from 830 to 1130. Not much action in the first hour and then got five. Let one go, kept 84, 88,101,105. Herring was the bait of choose and there where no dog fish. It was allot nicer reeling up from 135 ft and not the mud hole 300+ ft depth.

When fishing halibut out of Sooke, most days you can still still get to bottom. I've been fishing the mud hole the last two years and I find that your halibut fishing days are limited due to the water flow being to fast.

Attachments

• halibut April 1st.jpg
    halibut April 1st.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 156
Got out halibut fishing off of Sooke yesterday with couple of friends and went to my favorite halibut hole.. Fished in 135 ft of water from 830 to 1130. Not much action in the first hour and then got five. Let one go, kept 84, 88,101,105. Herring was the bait of choose and there where no dog fish. It was allot nicer reeling up from 135 ft and not the mud hole 300+ ft depth.

When fishing halibut out of Sooke, most days you can still still get to bottom. I've been fishing the mud hole the last two years and I find that your halibut fishing days are limited due to the water flow being to fast.
Awesome to see someone filling the Hali tub in Sooke. Finding spots in Sooke is always on my to do list but I find myself gravitating to the usual spots off Victoria rather than putting in the time.
Nice work Doug !

Off of Pedder for a few hours this morning. Nothing but a couple of big doggies. Heard guys chatting on CH 68 saying that they had picked up a couple.

Hey there folks, sorry to disrupt the fishing report thread. I’m looking to launch out of sooke tomorrow and was wondering where the best Marina would be for a daily launch. Looked at a few “resort” launches but not much info online.Based out of Vancouver and have my 18’ kingfisher with me in Chemainus, hoping to target some hail with good winds. Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Hey there folks, sorry to disrupt the fishing report thread. I’m looking to launch out of sooke tomorrow and was wondering where the best Marina would be for a daily launch. Looked at a few “resort” launches but not much info online.Based out of Vancouver and have my 18’ kingfisher with me in Chemainus, hoping to target some hail with good winds. Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance
Prestige hotel in sooke

We fished the mud hole on Sunday, nice calm day and good tide flow. At the peak (11am), I could count 25 boats anchored in the mud hole area. got one dog and one small chicken halibut (12lb).. I never saw any one catch anything around our location. Back at the dock we saw a a few other boats who got one or two chickens.

Herring was the bait of choose because the halibut were small. It was sure nice reeling up from 135 ft last week in JR, compared to reeling up at 330 ft at the mud hole. Now we have to wait for some good tides and low winds.

Out off race on Sunday trying out the new anchor system, perfect day for it went smooth, 1 big dog fish no hali for us though.

Second Hali trip of the year and we broke our skunk. Two chickens in the boat by 12:30 out of Sooke. Beautiful morning on the water!
Finally got my photo's to attach. Herring worked best for us, behind large glow white hoochie skirts.

Attachments

• 20220415_124149_HDR.jpg
    20220415_124149_HDR.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 20220415_092426_HDR.jpg
    20220415_092426_HDR.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Fishing off of Jordon River yesterday. Nice calm water and great tide flow. Anchored up at 730 and nothing for the first two hours. Then we got a halibut on and lost it. In the next hour, we got a couple more chickens (2 X 89cm) in the boat. Herring again was the bait of choose because the halibut were small. We also got a 7lb spring while cut plugging a herring, let it go.

I could see about 10 boats anchored around JR and another 7 boats went past us at JR heading toward Sombrio beach. Three of the boats, I knew and talked to them, they all said they never got a bite. At the dock (2pm) the krill counter said she had only seen one 95cm come in out of 5 boat checked. A friend fished Muir Creek area and got two chickens, so I guess you don't have to burn all that gas getting to JR or past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back